All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 134 35 36 37 3871 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:28 pm 

Quote:
Are you talking about the version for LiquidSoap? The normal versions are those with ALSA or Jack in the name; the LiquidSoap versions aren't posted in this thread until now. The latest released versions can be found here: https://download.thimeo.com/Stereo_Tool ... plugin.zip
Yes and no, the one that works with Liquid Soap but the older stable liquidsoap.
In other words, the cmd version.

Last edited by KevGP on Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Found & fixed. VST is crazy... The behavior here was yet another weird way of doing things. I'll run a Windows-only build tonight for testing.
Damn, is there a word for something that's nonstandard but official? I'll keep an eye out.
To clarify why this is such a mess: We want a display of size 1440x768, assuming that the zoom factor in Windows is set to 100%. For 4K screens it's typically set to 150%, so we multiply these values by 1.5, resulting in 2160x1152.

So, here's how it works, when loading on a 4K screen:

Reaper: What size do you want, ideally?
Stereo Tool: 2160x1152
Reaper: Great, I've created a display for you, you're allowed to use 2160x1152 pixels. What size do you want?
Reaper: Ok, you're allowed to use 2160x1152 pixels.

WaveLab: What size do you want, ideally?
WaveLab: Great, I've created a display for you, you're allowed to use 1440x768 pixels. What size do you want?
Stereo Tool: Oh. Well in that case, I want to use that, 1440x768 pixels.
WaveLab: Ok, now you are allowed to use 960x512 pixels (1440x768 / 1.5).

The actual window is bigger than that (it's still 1440x768), but we cannot just draw in that - there are hosts that put buttons on the right or bottom of the area that we are allowed to use. So this explains why you got such a small usable area in WaveLab with a large border around it.

OBS: What size do you want, ideally?
OBS: Ok, you probably didn't know that we're on a 4K screen, so I've automatically converted those values for you, and created a window of size 3240x1728. What size do you want?
Stereo Tool: Oh, more space! Great, then just give me that, 3240x1728.
OBS: Ok, you probably didn't know that we're on a 4K screen, so I've automatically converted those values for you ... (Continues to make the window bigger until it fills the entire screen.)

This DPI issue is actually just a minor issue compared to all the other issues with sizing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:12 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Are you talking about the version for LiquidSoap? The normal versions are those with ALSA or Jack in the name; the LiquidSoap versions aren't posted in this thread until now. The latest released versions can be found here: https://download.thimeo.com/Stereo_Tool ... plugin.zip
Yes and no, the one that works with Liquid Soap but the older stable liquidsoap.
In other words, the cmd version.
It's not in the post, but just use:
32 bit: https://download.thimeo.com/stereo_tool_BETA1002-057
64 bit: https://download.thimeo.com/stereo_tool_64_BETA1002-057

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:59 am 

Hello. Last night I took a look at the ability to select presets with the NVDA screen reader. I don't see that there is a web/hd presets category now. What do I use for internet radio now?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hello. Last night I took a look at the ability to select presets with the NVDA screen reader. I don't see that there is a web/hd presets category now. What do I use for internet radio now?
We've split presets into separate parts. So, you can just load any preset and use it for anything. If you load processing and repair settings and don't enable FM stuff, that's basically an HD preset.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:46 am 
Site Admin

BETA058 is available. I'm updating the opening post now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:41 pm 

Quote:
It hasn't changed a bit for me in the Linux cmd version, 64 bit.

And thanks Hans, I found a bug though. In Simple Clipper, when the "reduce CPU useage" box is checked, the "difference" feature does not work.
It would be cool if that could go higher than 150%. But I understand you not wanting that to work as well as advanced clipper, the paid feature.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:57 pm 

I played around with the presets a bit tonight. I regularly open categories with enter. When I try to activate a preset in the processing presets with enter, nothing happens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:55 pm 

I understood where the problem was. When I press enter on one of the presets, another small window appears asking if we want to load these settings. When we click on load settings, the preset becomes active. I somehow managed to bring a screen reader to that window once, but I don't know how. If this confirmation question could be turned off, everything would be great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:58 am 

Quote:
KevGP- Do you mean that literally? Are you saying the numerical value on the slider should correspond to gain reduction time or speed? Attack and release time of nearly zero is effectively a clipper. Attack speed of zero means no gain reduction is created, and if no gain reduction is created release speed is moot, don't you agree?

Note to Stereo Tool developers- I know this is an international product, but a clear and consistent syntax and definitions of terminology is important.

KevGP- The fundamental function of audio processing is manipulation and control of peak and average level across the audio spectrum, to achieve a subjective and objective goal. If you truly want an uncompressed sound, don't use processing.

KevGP, If you want a basic uncompressed sound with a rudimentary single band gain reduction stage, I suggest attack time 10 to 50 milliseconds, recovery time 200 to 900 milliseconds and compression ratio between 3 to 1 and 5 to 1. Adjust to taste. Have fun, and sleep on it. Be aware that peaks with be flying through, uncontrolled. Note those time values are based on the traditional R/C time constant and slope, and modern processors work with multiple detectors, interactive layers and variable slopes, even in a single band. This basic example has been known for over 50 years.

Another approach is attack and release time per dB of gain change, or attack and release time from or to a given audio input level, which may be different from the threshold level where gain change commenced. And as mentioned, there can be adjustments of the slope (over time) of the gain change.

Developers- consider attack and release user adjustment with a GUI graphic similar to the programmable EQ, with gain change on the vertical axis and time on horizontal axis. This way users can see the gain, time and slope components. This could reduce language, terminology and syntax misunderstandings.

Because of the fascinating complexity of audio processing, I think clear and consistent labeling of controls to their underlying action is important. GUI "front panel" control labeling and internal circuit action (DSP engine) are two different things. They must remain in alignment. That is, a new GUI (front panel) should not change the underlying circuit function, or sound of a pre-existing user preset. If it does, there should be full disclosure to customers. Otherwise, the manufacturer has disrespected and destroyed the end result the user created with the product they purchased.

This user is dismayed with the apparent obsession with cosmetic aspects of the GUI (apart from the labeling). I see constant work on the underlying processing engine metrics such as CPU load and bugs. That is excellent. I see little indication of work on improving the underlying processing structure and action. It is a very good processor right now, but I assume you are always thinking of new approaches, and not just cosmetic GUI matters such as scaling, color, making it easy, etc.
I just was trying to get clean sound, but with the Warm/Open preset, setting the speed down all the way makes the attack speed too slow. The bass kicks in very loud for a second, then the audio drops. Not sure if this is on purpose or not but it seems like the slider should make the attack speed faster, not slower.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 134 35 36 37 3871 Next