All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 143 44 45 46 4771 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:29 am 

I feel like this is the wrong time to post this issue. I noticed this weird issue a long time ago on older versions of StereoTool. This bug still exists.

The AGC can split out high-frequency white noise when there is no sound card input (this is from a Hi-Fi Cable Output) through Stereo Tool.
An example would be when you load Ohio Valley Blue.

Using a small program I found to look at audio frequencies, here is what it looks like:

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I feel like this is the wrong time to post this issue. I noticed this weird issue a long time ago on older versions of StereoTool. This bug still exists.

The AGC can split out high-frequency white noise when there is no sound card input (this is from a Hi-Fi Cable Output) through Stereo Tool.

Using a small program I found to look at audio frequencies, here is what it looks like:

How loud is this?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:30 am 

Quote:
Quote:

How loud is this?
It really depends on the preset. I wouldn't say it is blasting my ears. It is enough for me to notice it and get kind of annoyed by it.
I once thought it was my headphones because I didn't know where it came from.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:14 am 

Can you start posting links for generic Linux cmd versions in the beta updates? I'm still using the stable Liquidsoap and that one's the only one I know how to make work.
Here is the latest.
https://www.stereotool.com/download/ste ... TA1002-078

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How loud is this?
It really depends on the preset. I wouldn't say it is blasting my ears. It is enough for me to notice it and get kind of annoyed by it.
I have just tested this with Virtual Audio Cable. If you set your input to run in MME mode, which is 16 bit, returned sample values on silence are usually 0, but +1 and -1 also occur quite frequently. I don't know why this is. But, given this fact, silence isn't silence but a very low level of noise. If you boost that level a lot, it will at some point become audible. Interestingly, the pattern that is returned repeats constantly.

This does not happen at all in Wasapi and Kernel Streaming modes.

Inside Stereo Tool we also add noise at -200 dB or so (as a protection mechanism; calculating with 0 values can cause the CPU usage to be 20 times higher). But there's no way you would ever see that.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:17 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How loud is this?
I have just tested this with Virtual Audio Cable. If you set your input to run in MME mode, which is 16 bit, returned sample values on silence are usually 0, but +1 and -1 also occur quite frequently. I don't know why this is. But, given this fact, silence isn't silence but a very low level of noise. If you boost that level a lot, it will at some point become audible. Interestingly, the pattern that is returned repeats constantly.

This does not happen at all in Wasapi and Kernel Streaming modes.

Inside Stereo Tool we also add noise at -200 dB or so (as a protection mechanism; calculating with 0 values can cause the CPU usage to be 20 times higher). But there's no way you would ever see that.
Ohh!! That makes so much more sense. Thanks, so much.

I chose MME especially because WASAPI in Stereotool automatically uses Exclusive Mode (or else somehow RDS Spy doesn't work anymore???). I know this isn't very much a widely used use case but I sometimes want to run RDS Spy while there is MPX input playing into StereoTool. That's a whole other bag of worms Anywhoooo Oh my lord.

I do have some knowledge of seeing +1 and -1s audio samples while using silent Virtual Audio Cables before. I set up PortAudio to capture the audio cable and printed out the float output and saw a bunch of +1 and -1s. That confused me because I thought silent audio frames were just zero.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:07 pm 

As it currently is, in Advanced Clipper, Center Bass is shown at all times even though it only takes effect if "Reduce parts of the stereo to help low bitrate codecs" is enabled. I think it should work independently and have its own difference button that's not in the "Reduce parts" section. Normally one has to enable both and configure "Reduce parts" to essentially do nothing (maxing out all sliders) to get just the Center Bass effect.

Why would anybody want this? Bass crossfeed helps with headphone fatigue; plain and simple.
Why is this an issue? Because it's not obvious that Center Bass requires "Reduce Parts" to be enabled and manually configured to use only that effect.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:55 pm 

I have this error.
i have no soundcard only VAC

Attachments:
fault.jpg
fault.jpg [ 45.81 KiB | Viewed 1290 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:03 am 

Any change we see Streaming Output in VST plugin?
And Streaming Output in uMPX server?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:11 pm 

I'm having the interface forget what previous pages I clicked on. The "back" mouse button only goes so far and often skips a page. Let me know if I need to give more detail. This has been in the last one or two betas.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 143 44 45 46 4771 Next