All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 2071 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Edit #2: It looks like FFDShow is closing our window, bypassing all of our control code. This leaves things in an invalid state, which in turn causes crashes. This isn't an easy one to fix, we'll probably look into this on Thursday.
That was what I was worried about... FFDSHOW itself being the issue, that is.

I was thinking, surely there has to be a more modern fork or alternative implementation... but I had no luck finding anything else in regard to a media player that could render a multitude of video files with DSP or VST support. And \_/ surely would need different additional software for their use as well.

Just to clarify, VLC can't host Stereo Tool as a plugin in any way, correct?
No, VLC can't. I do expect that we can fix this, but there are multiple weird things happening. One thing that I just verified is that if I decouple our window from FFDShow (which is what the old GUI did, but that was actually a bug), most of the issues disappear. But decoupling it has some other behavioral drawbacks (the Stereo Tool window will show up as a completely unrelated window in the task bar; the old GUI did that).
We have a workaround. It's messy, FFDShow does very weird things which is causing most of these issues. In fact, I checked the old GUI and that's hanging as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
As for the screen reader and the update, you can remove it freely because the old web interface does not work. It is neither possible to select an existing preset nor to load an already saved file. I also see mention of adding a stream option to vst. If and when will StereoTool get support for AAC+ and AACLC codecs?
The streaming output also doesn't seem to reconnect if the internet goes down for more than a minute or so. I had to restart StereoTool to have the stream reconnect after my net was down for 5 minutes. Could Stereo Tool automatically try after every 30 seconds or so?
This turned out to be broken; it was trying to reopen it constantly, but never closed it, so the library was in a 'confused' state. It's running fine now; it's using the same reopen strategy as the normal sound cards (keep retrying, but wait longer between tries if it keeps failing).

I haven't really checked yet, but multiple fails might still trigger the restart behavior of Stereo Tool, but that's not working at all with the new I/O layer (I'm not sure if we still need to support it. We can easily add it if needed, we already keep track of the number of retries so if that exceeds a specific value and it's not a stream, we could trigger a restart.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

BETA040 is posted, this version should fix the DSP plugin in FFDShow crashes and the stream restarting behavior.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:04 pm 

Beta 040 does not work in linux closes right after startup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Beta 040 does not work in linux closes right after startup
Which one exactly? I tried the 32 and 64 bit Intel/AMD ALSA and Jack Linux builds here and they all ran fine. (new build from tonight, but I just checked and we haven't changed anything that should be relevant for this today).

What was the last version that you tested that worked?

Can you send me your settings file? That should be in either ~/.stereo_tool.rc or ~/.XXX.rc (with XXX being the name of the binary that you run). Hopefully that will help us to replicate it.

Also, please post the output that you get on the command line, so we can see how far it gets and if it prints any warnings.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:11 pm 

Hello. I found that in the config file I can see the presets I loaded. My question is, how to activate the preset in the ini file? That might be a workaround for me until preset management with screen readers is fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:11 am 

Quote:
Hello. I found that in the config file I can see the presets I loaded. My question is, how to activate the preset in the ini file? That might be a workaround for me until preset management with screen readers is fixed.
Or just provide preset files for each of the presets that come with ST by default. I can open the load preset dialog box in the web interface, it's just the preset selector that doesn't currently work with the 2 screen readers I tried. I'm cool with just the standard non-FM presets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:16 am 

Hans,

Any info on streaming output in VST plugin and streaming output in MicroMPX decoders ?

Will appreciate any feedback and can provide feedback with testing in real environment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Greetings on this thread also and many Kudoz for this magic software!

So, I tried to use the latest 10.02 Beta (and 10.0.1 earlier) and unfortunately the output of the sound was filled with crackling noises. My setup currently is this :

Jazzler --> VAC Input --> StereoTool --> Stream with the build-in engine or with RadioCaster.

At first I got scared and rolled back - most settings seemed to have been loaded properly which meant the preset was ok. Today, I tried again and I still got the crackling sound.
Finally I spotted that the culprit (in my case) was that for some reason ST had selected for my Input Kernel Streaming/ VAC - B Output . Theoretically Kernel/Wasapi/Mme should all be working correctly, but only MME seems to be working.

Red for Crackling, Green for sweet sweet sound!

ST.jpg
Hello dR_wH0,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I want to investigate this issue further, because i would expect the old and new code to behave exactly the same. If they don't, that points at a bug or change somewhere. It may only affect one person now, and you managed to work around it, but once we release this this will probably cause issues for many people.

So, first can you tell me what the exact difference is in behavior between version 9.92 and 10.02?

Which of these work?
MME in 9.92 vs 10.02
Kernel Streaming in 9.92 vs 10.02
Wasapi in 9.92 vs 10.02

What I think based on your earlier comments is that MME works in both versions, Kernel Streaming works fine in 9.92 but is broken in 10.02, Wasapi unknown for 9.92 and broken in 10.02. Can you confirm these and test Wasapi in 9.92?

Also, is your output buffer very small? Because there are 2 possible reasons for this: The output buffer might be on the edge and be _just_ fine in 9.92 and not in 10.02, or the sound card driver might be behaving differently, which would mean that we're doing something differently in accessing it.

Also, if you tested version 10.01 (that was very early in this beta post), that was before we updated the I/O layer in Stereo Tool... I'll wait for your answers first, I might have other tests to suggest depending on what they are.
I just went through the old and the new code, and there's 1 value that's different, which is suspicious. I'll put it back to how it was in the older versions and run a test build. We changed that value for a reason, but it might still be the cause of this issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:21 pm 

When you use old gui and then new gui, new gui does not load many things what was set in old, and one of them is KS instead MME.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 2071 Next