All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 1671 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:33 pm 

Gave the Winamp DSP a short try:
Crashes 1 out of 5 times at startup (GUI gone), always gives a normal output buffer problem warning (never saw that before) and there's a small delay before sound starts (compared to ST 9.92).
'Use full I/O framework' makes ST crash 100% at startup.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Crashes 1 out of 5 times at startup (GUI gone), always gives a normal output buffer problem warning (never saw that before) and there's a small delay before sound starts (compared to ST 9.92).
Warning is solved. I don't know why it crashes, I haven't seen that here so far. In which host are you running it? I think that might matter.
Quote:
I found the cause for the "full I/O framework" issue; there were issues on both opening and closing if audio was running. I hope that they are both solved now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Gave the Winamp DSP a short try:
Please try BETA036 (I'm posting it now). I haven't changed much in the non-Real-IO startup behavior, but maybe the closing behavior that I saw could also trigger on startup in your host. If not, let me know which host it is so I can investigate it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:54 pm 

Thanks for the quick fix. Buffer warning and startup crashes are gone.
However it now always crashes when track ends. Also with 'Use full I/O framework' at start the sound is very loud and distorted for a moment before it gets normal again (wrong/no processing at start?).
Host for testing was ffdshow.
Btw is the DSP version still only supporting 16 and 32 bit integers for input and output or other types (float32), too?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thanks for the quick fix. Buffer warning and startup crashes are gone.
The crash without REAL IO as well? Ok, great!
Quote:
However it now always crashes when track ends.
Hm, the plugin doesn't have a concept of "tracks". So that one is weird. Do you know if it's both with and without REAL IO?
Quote:
Also with 'Use full I/O framework' at start the sound is very loud and distorted for a moment before it gets normal again (wrong/no processing at start?).
I heard that too, but I thought it was because I was running it in debug mode. I think the buffer is filled with garbage. I'll add code to clear it.
Quote:
Btw is the DSP version still only supporting 16 and 32 bit integers for input and output or other types (float32), too?
The host is limited to what the Winamp plugin standard says it needs to be, and I think that was 8, 16, 24 or 32 bit ints indeed, no floats. Do you have software that sends floats to it?

Edit: I found a bug in the closing behavior, one thread doesn't close. Maybe ffdshow closes Stereo Tool when a file ends? Working on a fix now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:57 pm 

Quote:
I found the cause for both issues.
The GUI issue is caused by the fact that "Zoom" (which is a parameter) is set to 0. That looks like a bug in your VST host that sets unknown (?) parameters to 0. I've added protection against it; if it's set to 0 we're ignoring the setting.

The audio issue: I thought I had fixed it, but I'm looking at certain parameters to see if they are enabled, and the enabled state also doesn't get updated if the GUI isn't visible. Will look into how to fix that today.
I can confirm both fine now in BETA036. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:41 pm 

Quote:
I don't know as I cannot play several tracks in a row with BETA036.
Quote:
Hm, the plugin doesn't have a concept of "tracks". So that one is weird. Do you know if it's both with and without REAL IO?
Maybe I misinterpreted the situation: What if it works when the plugin is first started but it doesn't close correctly at the end of a track and therefore crashes when trying to play the next track, i.e. a new instance of the plugin is started?
And yes, both with and without REAL IO.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know as I cannot play several tracks in a row with BETA036.
Quote:
Maybe I misinterpreted the situation: What if it works when the plugin is first started but it doesn't close correctly at the end of a track and therefore crashes when trying to play the next track, i.e. a new instance of the plugin is started?
And yes, both with and without REAL IO.
I think I have fixed both issues (my crash fix from yesterday was what was causing the really loud audio by the way). Closing was indeed broken. I'll run a new build asap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:21 pm 

Oh, yeah. I forgot to post a while back that FFDSHOW did indeed crash from time to time (running from within MPC-BE); mostly when changing tracks. It was to stream videos to Discord... I ended up switching to OBS and doing a bunch of window capture, sizing, and layering junk that I still hate. Glad it's being addressed!

edit: For winamp dsp hosts that have a 32-bit (presumably non-float) checkbox, do we enable it? They're often accompanied by text that says it may not be supported by the DSP.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:41 am 

Quote:
For winamp dsp hosts that have a 32-bit (presumably non-float) checkbox, do we enable it? They're often accompanied by text that says it may not be supported by the DSP.
Sure, it's supported so why not. Just ensure to not send floats to it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 1671 Next