All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Stereo Tool 9.92/10.00
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi all,

Stereo Tool 9.92, ST-Enterprise, PiMP, STudio, STAMP, PhoneBooster, Relay and STXtreme firmware 10.00, WatchCat 2.0.7 and MicroMPX including MicroMPX AM Reprocessor 4.1.5 are available now. Since there are a lot of new products, I will officially post it once we've verified that the STXtreme firmware works, uploaded the new Raspberry Pi image and updated the site (we need to add all the new products and add them to the things that you can buy; we'll do that on Monday). But for those of you who already want to download the new versions, you can get them on https://thimeo.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:07 pm 

Congrats on releasing so many new products and soft launching the new GUI. Can we get an overview of what license each product needs?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Congrats on releasing so many new products and soft launching the new GUI. Can we get an overview of what license each product needs?
Thanks! And sure! The planned prices are:
- 1000 euro per non-FM, 2000 euro per FM instance of ST-Enterprise (up to 50 instances in a single process). For stations that only want to upgrade for the integrated Nielsen PPM watermarking, we'll arrange some discount.
- 100 euro for STudio (low latency studio monitoring on a Pi 4, 4.5 ms)
- 150 euro for PiMP (low latency microphone processing on a Pi 4, 2.83 or 4.17 ms)
- 150 euro for STAMP (AM processing on a Pi 3 or 4, with Declipper and Advanced Dynamics enabled but audio limited to at most 10 kHz)
- 75 euro per microphone instance of MultiVOC (up to 50 microphone processors in a single process, each with different processing if needed)
- Price to be determined for MicroMPX AM Reprocessor

About MicroMPX AM Reprocessor: This is a very strange product. We've had requests for this from stations in the US that transmit on both AM and FM, with what is called a "translater" - they have to transmit the same signal on AM and FM to keep the right to broadcast on FM. Usually, the vast majority of listeners are on FM.

Since they need to send both FM and AM streams to their transmitter site, if they are already using MicroMPX for the FM signal, it makes things a lot easier if that signal can be reused for AM, without requiring an extra AM processor and an extra stream that carries the AM signal. The MicroMPX AM Reprocessor decodes the existing MPX signal, takes only the mono content ignoring the stereo pilot and RDS, lowpass filters it and then clips it, asymmetrically if needed.

This does mean that the FM signal is clipped again, which isn't really ideal - but it's a simple way to comply to the regulations, and probably still outperforms many cheaper AM processors.

We're not really sure yet what price we should charge for it. On one hand, it adds features on top of MicroMPX, and removes the need for an extra stream and an extra AM processor, so we could charge more for it. On the other hand, it basically removes all the benefits of MicroMPX, so we should charge less for it. To be determined in the next few days...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:00 am 

'Don't show AGC level warning' and 'Don't show low input level warning' are 0 in the settings file even though the current profile has them set to 1. Is this intended?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:10 am 

Anything notable to include in a new build of the declipper plugin?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:44 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Anything notable to include in a new build of the declipper plugin?
Crap! I thought I could release an update of that now, but it crashes on loading. :(
Since I haven't uploaded this one yet I'll see if I can fix it without touching non-declipper code. If so I'll create a build today.

--> Nope, sorry. Too many issues; if I fix those, and future error reports for version 9.92/10.00 may be unusable.