All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:27 pm 

Hi, hoping someone will be able to help with basic install on a Raspberry PI.
I'm a new PI user but not a novice and have lots of PC and Windows experience.
I downloaded the stereo tool file and used apt install but get an E: Unable to locate package.
It's obviously my inexperience but I'm finding no help anywhere.
No idea what this means "No installer, save and chmod for execute access"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Johnnie,

You can do it yourself, and if you want something specific (like linking streaming programs to it) you will kinda have to do it yourself, but if you just want to run Stereo Tool to process sound card input and send the result to the sound card output, accessible via a web interface, then I would recommend to use this SD card image: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32883&start=30

Alternatively, you need to download the binary from the site, and then give it access rights (that's what chmod means). I think you can do it via an explorer-like window where you right-click on the downloaded Stereo Tool binary, but I almost never use Linux with a GUI so I don't really know how you can get there. If you're working in a terminal window, the command is chmod 755 stereo_tool_binary_name

sudo apt-get doesn't work, for that the program must be added to Linux' package system.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:56 pm 

Quote:
Hello Johnnie,

You can do it yourself, and if you want something specific (like linking streaming programs to it) you will kinda have to do it yourself, but if you just want to run Stereo Tool to process sound card input and send the result to the sound card output, accessible via a web interface, then I would recommend to use this SD card image: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32883&start=30

Alternatively, you need to download the binary from the site, and then give it access rights (that's what chmod means). I think you can do it via an explorer-like window where you right-click on the downloaded Stereo Tool binary, but I almost never use Linux with a GUI so I don't really know how you can get there. If you're working in a terminal window, the command is chmod 755 stereo_tool_binary_name

sudo apt-get doesn't work, for that the program must be added to Linux' package system.
Thanks I'll give that a try, how do I add the program to the Linux package system?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Hello Johnnie,

Thanks I'll give that a try, how do I add the program to the Linux package system?
I don't think you can do that, we would need to do that. But you don't need that to install it anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:19 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello Johnnie,

I don't think you can do that, we would need to do that. But you don't need that to install it anyway.
Thanks, but that was the point of my post, is there a step-by-step idiots guide to installing stereotools on a Pi?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:31 pm 

Quote:
Thanks, but that was the point of my post, is there a step-by-step idiots guide to installing stereotools on a Pi?
Basically use the SD card image in the link provided by Hans (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32883&start=30) and connect to the web interface to set it up. The guide doesn't exist yet cause this package is still in relatively early development and might change. But I'll give this new image a try later and follow up this post with steps in case you can't get it going yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:51 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Basically use the SD card image in the link provided by Hans (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32883&start=30) and connect to the web interface to set it up. The guide doesn't exist yet cause this package is still in relatively early development and might change. But I'll give this new image a try later and follow up this post with steps in case you can't get it going yourself.
Thanks, I did try this image, but the pi wouldn't boot as there was no sound card, I'm assuming that I would need the same card as the image. If so, what was it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:11 pm 

Quote:
Thanks, I did try this image, but the pi wouldn't boot as there was no sound card, I'm assuming that I would need the same card as the image. If so, what was it?
I don't think it needs anything added to the one built into the Pi, but it works for HiFiBerry HATs too. Did you look through the thread? It requires the Thimeo_Pi34 image to boot, and the update file on your local computer to update.

Are you sure it didn't boot? It needs to be accessed "headlessly" via the Web interface by typing the IP to the pi and port 8080 into the URL. For example 192.168.1.50:8080
From here you can choose what product and update package to install.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

It doesn't need a HifiBerry to boot. It might not be very useful without one (the built-in audio of the Pi is horrible), but it boots. You do need a Pi 3 or 4.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:31 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think it needs anything added to the one built into the Pi, but it works for HiFiBerry HATs too. Did you look through the thread? It requires the Thimeo_Pi34 image to boot, and the update file on your local computer to update.

Are you sure it didn't boot? It needs to be accessed "headlessly" via the Web interface by typing the IP to the pi and port 8080 into the URL. For example 192.168.1.50:8080
From here you can choose what product and update package to install.
I've now tried the image on a Pi3 with HiFi berry but still no luck, I'm using the correct image. Without having access to the Pi I can't check its IP via Eth0, I changed my PC to 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 but don't get a ping from 192.168.1.50.