All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:09 pm 

Using Stereo Tool version 9.92 AM transmitter mode, getting about 150 mV of DC offset on balanced audio outputs of AudioScience sound card. Question- Is this likely to be caused by the sound card, or is it a known aspect of Stereo Tool?

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Using Stereo Tool version 9.92 AM transmitter mode, getting about 150 mV of DC offset on balanced audio outputs of AudioScience sound card. Question- Is this likely to be caused by the sound card, or is it a known aspect of Stereo Tool?

Thank you
If you use asymmetric limiting and clipping, there will be bigger spikes in one direction than in the other, leading to (if you measure it over time) DC offset. But that's fine - the transmitter should be able to handle that.

If that's not what you mean, it's likely a sound card issue.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 4:44 pm 

Thank you for replying. I think Stereo Tool is a versatile, complex and engaging thing, and I enjoy adjusting it very much.

Respectfully- here are some comments-

This user would like to see even more architectural flexibility, side chains, cross-coupling, monitoring flexibility and adjustments, with terminology and syntax likely to be understood by worldwide customer base.

Is it possible to use a multi-channel sound card, and enable Stereo Tool to have a monitoring output that can be sourced from insert points along the signal path? Unless I am missing something, the present monitor buttons interrupt the on-air audio. Efficiency and workflow of an adjuster is greatly enhanced if parameters can be tweaked in in situ within regular programming, without interruption.

I have not tried several features already in 9.92 because terminology and syntax of control labeling means I have to measure the process on the bench and listen to test material, to determine if I would like to use the process. Doing that makes me a developer, not an adjuster.

Most of the time I know the process I want to use or try, and I know how I want the process to work. Thus, as a customer I want to configure and adjust a tool to implement the process. For example, if I need a 10 mm drill bit, I want to pick up the bit labeled 10 mm. I don't want to figure out a name or take time to measure a bit to see if it is 8 mm, 10 mm or 12 mm. "Sudden jump protection". That's like a button in a car labeled "impact protection". To adjust I need to know the actual process, not a name. Then I can determine if I want to use it, and how I will adjust it.

I like the approach of having ALL system adjustments available to users, but with three or four levels of visibility. Such as General, Intermediate, Complex and Developer. Any user could get good sound with General access, someone willing to take the risk of full control could choose Developer.

Best regards,
Greg