All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 2750 Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:08 pm 

Just tested out the preset mechanism in Enterprise. I'm not sure how I feel yet. It's got some benefits, but so many presets are missing. I sorta liked having a drop-down menu for dozens of temporary presets rather than loading them into a semi-permanent feeling cell. Would it be possible to keep the functionality of both, somehow? Like, keep the drop-down menu for temps while also having a preset button that loads the popover for the main ones?

Lately, I've been recommending the beta to folks who need a mic processor, and I'm no longer seeing the Syrtho preset. Are there more mic presets in the works? It's nice seeing a separate preset for the repair section too.

I'm sure the new preset mechanism will grow on me, but my first reaction is slight confusion at the choices.

Oh, how about allowing for multiple versions of a preset within one cell entry? Perhaps utilizing the right or long-click functionality.

edit: Is the capability to load certain pages/sections no longer a feature?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:39 pm 

Quote:
Like, keep the drop-down menu for temps while also having a preset button that loads the popover for the main ones?
What do you mean by "temps"?
Quote:
I'm no longer seeing the Syrtho preset. Are there more mic presets in the works?
Yes, the goal is to add presets that people are missing. A separate category for microphone presets might be a good idea.
Quote:
My first reaction is slight confusion at the choices.
Could you explain what confuses you, and in what way?
Quote:
Oh, how about allowing for multiple versions of a preset within one cell entry?
Some sort of rudimentary version management is planned. It'll probably show the latest version of some preset in the main overvirw, and then list the different versions in the preset details.
Quote:
Is the capability to load certain pages/sections no longer a feature?
For now. We're planning on creating a checklist when loading/saving settings.

Some context:

The old preset system has been a pain in the behind for us to maintain. The backend of the new one is much more flexible, but it took quite some effort to get it all working correctly in the native GUI.
The version you're seeing in this beta is still incomplete, but functional.
We felt it was good enough to release it to the public, as feedback in this early stage is essential to prevent flaws in the design becoming too difficult to fix.

Changes will take a bit longer though: we're currently busy with the IBC.
Come visit us if you're in Amsterdam this Friday to Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:01 pm 

Quote:
Some context:

The old preset system has been a pain in the behind for us to maintain. The backend of the new one is much more flexible, but it took quite some effort to get it all working correctly in the native GUI.
The version you're seeing in this beta is still incomplete, but functional.
We felt it was good enough to release it to the public, as feedback in this early stage is essential to prevent flaws in the design becoming too difficult to fix.
I see. Thanks for the clarification and extra context.

I guess by "temps" I meant slight tweaks I want to save for A/B comparisons. The old list could get pretty long with temporary presets. I realize I'm not the standard user of the app though (enthusiast consumer who doesn't broadcast with plenty of aural OCD itches that need to be scratched) so I understand how this requirement would be niche. The plans you list probably cover this.

I'll really have to give it more playing with to explain what's confusing about it. I guess I keep getting stumped by expecting all the older functionality in a new thing that's still being developed, and that's on me.

Best of luck at IBC!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:20 pm 

Wow, I like the new layout for Presets!!! I can now put a description as needed. TY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:21 pm 

After a little more messing with, I think perhaps the preset manager might benefit from a 'snapshot' or something that basically saves the current settings as a new preset, but auto increments the Name or Description and adds it to the recent list. In the name of quick A/B-ing.

Perhaps something indicating whether something has been changed or if it matches an existing preset in the manager. Maybe this would only be useful once the individual page management is implemented, possibly having an indicator on the page itself (or the left pane) if something has been changed.

Just spitballing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:34 pm 

The "changes" indicator is planned, the "save to current preset" button is going to use the versioning system.

The web interface even already has a "version comments" field when pressing that button :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:37 pm 

At the moment the links to the 053 beta for the standalone newgui result in a 404.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
At the moment the links to the 053 beta for the standalone newgui result in a 404.
Whoops, re-uploaded (the version number doesn't indicate the beta, but it's beta053).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:17 am 

I am also trying the new preset design in the latest beta. Coming from the previous drop-down selection, I also found it a bit difficult to navigate and am still getting my head around it.

As an example, I found myself selecting the repair preset and then a processing preset, which was a bit confusing. I couldn't see a way to 'unload' the 'Flac/wav music' repair preset (it's highlighted still), even though another preset was later loaded?

Is the intention be to have a section for each style of preset (i.e. Generic, FM, AM etc.) or maybe as MrKlorox suggests, some way to toggle this property within a preset cell entry?

I also found having to click on a preset and then load the settings a bit cumbersome and slow. This echos MrKlorox's comment about wanting to switch and listen to differences between presets. Maybe click to activate immediately, or right click / setting to allow an option to do so...?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:40 pm 

Bad news. It is not possible to select a preset through the web interface with the help of a screen reader. If this stays like this in the official version I will be forced to stop using Stereo Tool even though I paid for it.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 2750 Next