All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 3950 Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:42 am 

Just some feedback I had while using this new interface.
You can take this with a grain of salt.

I feel like there should be a page in the new interface to see levels/enabled processing while taking the whole screen instead of levels being very small at the top with settings. That would mean it's good at keeping the software open (This may be planned already; didn't see mention of it when I was looking at the thread sometimes).

I feel like some sections in the new interface make sense. Some don't.
For example, Audio IO makes super sense in my opinion. For example Audio IO page. Input 1, and Input 2 do not have that much space. The Multiband compressor's band option placement looks kind of odd in my opinion because I would expect it to take a lot of space than it does sometimes. Making it maximized, it looks so small on the left due to miscellaneous. Then miscellaneous can take too much space for only "Pre-emphasis" which is never touched normally.

Also, it took me a few minutes to find "Density" on the Multiband compressor because it is not fully noticeable that there are tabs in subsections. (EDIT: talking about "Density" under Levels. that's my bad) I don't know if I was the only one who had the same issue. I feel like there should be something that shows when moving the cursor around that makes it noticeable that there are more settings.

Another thing. I feel like tabs sometimes are useless. An example of this happening is under System Info. Having Stereo Tool maximized, there is enough space to display "Uptime," but it is under the tab.

On the Scheduler page, I feel like there is so much space while Stereo Tool is maximized that could be used.

Hopefully, this is helpful :) I hope this wasn't too much.

Last edited by TheDaChicken on Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:12 am 

Greeting. With a screen reader in the new web browser and a keyboard, I can see the density on every preset I select. Consider that I am blind and use a keyboard without a mouse. As my screen reader jaws and NVDA navigate with the keyboard in every density setting there is an option that says advanced. When I press enter, a field opens where I can enter volume, density, mean gain and so on. I couldn't do this before in the old web interface. The only thing missing is that I can change the preset. However, I took care of that in my own way. greetings from Sarajevo
Edin
Quote:

I feel like there should be a page in the new interface to see levels/enabled processing while taking the whole screen instead of levels being very small at the top with settings. That would mean it's good at keeping the software open (This may be planned already; didn't see mention of it when I was looking at the thread sometimes).

For example, Audio IO makes super sense in my opinion. For example Audio IO page. Input 1, and Input 2 do not have that much space. The Multiband compressor's band option placement looks kind of odd in my opinion because I would expect it to take a lot of space than it does sometimes. Making it maximized, it looks so small on the left due to miscellaneous. Then miscellaneous can take too much space for only "Pre-emphasis" which is never touched normally.

Also, it took me a few minutes to find "Density" on the Multiband compressor because it is not fully noticeable that there are tabs in subsections. I don't know if I was the only one who had the same issue. I feel like there should be something that shows when moving the cursor around that makes it noticeable that there are more settings.

Another thing. I feel like tabs sometimes are useless. An example of this happening is under System Info. Having Stereo Tool maximized, there is enough space to display "Uptime," but it is under the tab.

On the Scheduler page, I feel like there is so much space while Stereo Tool is maximized that could be used.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:40 am 

nee... onthoudt mijn settings ook niet ook niet als ik het opsla moet dan steeds opnieuw de setting laden.
Quote:
als ik ST afsluit en de pc opnieuw opstart krijg ik steeds het standaard scherm er voor.. het onthoudt niet hoe het stond
Translation: When I close ST and reboot the PC, the home page comes up instead of the last visited page
This should just work, since ST saves its last state (including currently visible page) and loads that state at startup.
Does it remember all the other settings? Or does everything reset to factory default?
(Vertaling: Worden alle andere settings wel onthouden? Of reset alles naar hoe het was bij het nieuw installeren van ST?)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:08 pm 

Quote:

Also, it took me a few minutes to find "Density" on the Multiband compressor because it is not fully noticeable that there are tabs in subsections. (EDIT: talking about "Density" under Levels. that's my bad) I don't know if I was the only one who had the same issue. I feel like there should be something that shows when moving the cursor around that makes it noticeable that there are more settings.

That is just small part of what's wrong with this new GUI. Completely non-user(pro)friendly, full-screen oriented only, zero GUI compromises, less to see/control - more time to search.
10 minutes i spend to find FM LPF.. i gave up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
That is just small part of what's wrong with this new GUI. Completely non-user(pro)friendly, full-screen oriented only, zero GUI compromises, less to see/control - more time to search.
It's under FM Transmitter -> Audio settings. Where did you expect it to be?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:48 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
It's under FM Transmitter -> Audio settings. Where did you expect it to be?
Oh, don't mind me, it seems i'm stupid sometimes. All is fine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:55 am 

Quote:
I feel like there should be a page in the new interface to see levels/enabled processing while taking the whole screen instead of levels being very small at the top with settings.
Yep, that's planned.
Quote:
Audio IO makes super sense in my opinion. For example Audio IO page. Input 1, and Input 2 do not have that much space.
The Multiband compressor's band option placement looks kind of odd in my opinion because I would expect it to take a lot of space than it does sometimes. Making it maximized, it looks so small on the left due to miscellaneous. Then miscellaneous can take too much space for only "Pre-emphasis" which is never touched normally.
A bit of context:
On the Multiband Compressor 1 page, we have two sections.
The top section contains the menus "Levels", "Speeds", "Wideband release gate", "Bands" and "Miscellaneous".
The bottom section contains band controls.

The idea behind these menus, is that by default, they only show what we think (our best guess) most of our users could/should touch.
Anything that is hardly ever used or is too advanced, gets hidden by default.
You can show these advanced settings by clicking the menu header (e.g. "Bands" or "Miscellaneous"), the header has an unfold icon ('>') next to it when there are any hidden settings.

Now it might not be super-duper obvious that there are more settings then immediately meets the eye, but that's the thing: we don't want it to be. We don't want users getting the idea that they are supposed to mess with these settings.

Another point that you make, is that "Bands" looks too small next to Miscellaneous when it is unfolded.
The reason behind that, is that alignment of menus is automatic:
  • There's a maximum of three columns
  • Try to fit three menus
  • If one doesn't fit, wrap everything after it
There's a few extra bits of logic there (the columns always remain equal size, and we try to prevent certain unbalanced situations by preferring 2 rows of 2 over one row of 3 and then a single block, etc).
However, this is the basis.

That means, if "Bands" and "Miscellaneous" can be fit on one row, they will be placed on one row.
The reordering code is complicated enough as it is, adding something like "this looks a bit large compared to that" would be undesirable.

Quote:
I feel like tabs sometimes are useless. An example of this happening is under System Info. Having Stereo Tool maximized, there is enough space to display "Uptime," but it is under the tab.
They are useful in a sense that we use them to hide stuff. It could be argued that most users probably don't really care about "Uptime", so why have it clutter the page?
About the "Scheduler" page: the page is indeed a bit empty. Which is great.
Users that know what it does and want to use it, won't be bothered by having to open the pop-up page.
Users that don't know it, won't be immediately overwhelmed by the amount of information and buttons and settings and text fields and whatnot.

Also, keep in mind that many users don't maximize ST or have a small monitor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:59 am 

Quote:
nee... onthoudt mijn settings ook niet ook niet als ik het opsla moet dan steeds opnieuw de setting laden.
Dan is er meer mis. Stuur even een privéberichtje naar Hans hierover.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:22 pm 

Ah, I just noticed the new preset manager tabs are in the 10.01 beta. Could we get the first post/links updated to reflect this?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Ah, I just noticed the new preset manager tabs are in the 10.01 beta. Could we get the first post/links updated to reflect this?
Done! They are also coming for the web interface, soon.

We haven't made presets for some of the categories yet, so there are no FM/AM presets for example - we will add some, for composite clipping, non-composite clipping etc, and separate the RDS settings from the rest of the FM settings.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 3950 Next