All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1950 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:39 pm 

Quote:
Question.

We're looking into how reset works now.

Currently, a factory reset is a bit strange. In the sound card settings, it DOES reset the sample rate to 44.1, enables Normal Output and disables FM output, but it doesn't touch the selected sound cards themselves. It turns tilt correction (RC settings) off but keeps the values. The behavior is very inconsistent. So I want to get some feedback about what it should do:
  • Don't touch sound card settings at all. So leave all the levels, buffer sizes, ASIO channels etc. as is. This is probably a bad idea.
  • Reset all of them (basically only enable Input and Normal Output, set to Microsoft Sound Mapper at 44.1 kHz, buffers at 1 second, etc.).
  • Some in-between version. I can imagine that keeping the sound card selection can be useful - but then what do we do with what's enabled/disabled, buffer sizes, RC settings, Input 2 mode (Bimp/Backup/Add/SCA) etc?

Similar question for RDS: Should things like the PI code, PS text etc be reset to their default values? Almost everything else is... But the defaults in this case (PI=FFFF, PS="Stereo/Tool/...") don't really make much sense.
Personally, Reset means Reset, for me. Everything should go back to defaults to allow me to start completely from scratch. Not certain things but not others.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:03 pm 

Quote:
Question.

Currently, a factory reset is a bit strange. In the sound card settings, it DOES reset the sample rate to 44.1, enables Normal Output and disables FM output, but it doesn't touch the selected sound cards themselves. It turns tilt correction (RC settings) off but keeps the values. The behavior is very inconsistent. So I want to get some feedback about what it should do:
  • Don't touch sound card settings at all. So leave all the levels, buffer sizes, ASIO channels etc. as is. This is probably a bad idea.
  • Reset all of them (basically only enable Input and Normal Output, set to Microsoft Sound Mapper at 44.1 kHz, buffers at 1 second, etc.).
  • Some in-between version. I can imagine that keeping the sound card selection can be useful - but then what do we do with what's enabled/disabled, buffer sizes, RC settings, Input 2 mode (Bimp/Backup/Add/SCA) etc?

Similar question for RDS: Should things like the PI code, PS text etc be reset to their default values? Almost everything else is... But the defaults in this case (PI=FFFF, PS="Stereo/Tool/...") don't really make much sense.
Reset all of them - I would only set 48kHz instead 44.1.
For RDS, yes it's problem. And something else first need to be done there. It's only section where you cannot save settings (Save > RDS Settings) It's pain when you load "All audio and FM settings" from file. There is other solution, idk how smart would be, Make "All audio and FM settings" to mean 'Load all Audio and FM settings except RDS'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:11 pm 

Quote:
Reset all of them (basically only enable Input and Normal Output, set to Microsoft Sound Mapper at 44.1 kHz, buffers at 1 second, etc.).
Is 1 second an appropriate default buffer time? It seems long to me as a personal user. I'm sure for broadcast, one second is great. But for people setting it up the first time/resetting, it seems like it should be a lower latency; closer to something that would keep the lip-sync in videos. Something totaling less than 166.7ms (10 frames at 60 fps) when including the Processing Latency would seem reasonable. Is this too low?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:24 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Question.

Reset all of them - I would only set 48kHz instead 44.1.
For RDS, yes it's problem. And something else first need to be done there. It's only section where you cannot save settings (Save > RDS Settings) It's pain when you load "All audio and FM settings" from file. There is other solution, idk how smart would be, Make "All audio and FM settings" to mean 'Load all Audio and FM settings except RDS'

I agree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:33 pm 

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what's the point of using the declipper-only plugin? Is it just simplicity? If so, you should definitely try the new ST GUI with just the repair filters enabled. Things are folded, pretty well organized, and labeled more clearly.

What would you want out of a declipper-focused GUI? The entire Repair section +ND? Would the advanced clipper be beneficial at all since it (seems to) has the worse-sounding simple one? Can one even buy the declipper by itself anymore, or is it only an addon for the Basic+ licenses? At what point would it just be better to use ST?

I've always wondered these things.
Hey sir... It's for simplicity and minimalism. I use BreakawayOne for main processing and just need the Declipper/Natural Dynamics to complete the sound for my station. So, while the new interface does get kinda close to the same mission as the smaller plugin, it still is a bit more bulky than needed. Even if you disable everything but these two items, you're still installing a bigger package and it probably (I've not actually measured) still has a bigger CPU/RAM footprint than just the minimal plugin mentioned. So, for me and my needs, the DC/ND plugin is the perfect way to add these great components to my audio chain.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:31 am 
Site Admin

BETA014 is posted. Biggest change is that the "Saved" and "Factory" popups and lines are gone when you hover over sliders, there's now a small triangle where the "Last loaded" value is, and a context menu on right-click where you can choose what to reset to.

@timmywa: We'll make a new Declipper version as well, but only once everything else is ready. Maintaining multiple GUI's is really annoying, and the more versions we add the longer the build process takes as well. About resource use: If you use Stereo Tool instead, it will use more memory, but the CPU load is really nearly identical. I just measured the processing CPU usage on my pc for Stereo Tool with everything turned off, and it was only 0.2%.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:45 am 

Quote:
BETA014 is posted. Biggest change is that the "Saved" and "Factory" popups and lines are gone when you hover over sliders, there's now a small triangle where the "Last loaded" value is, and a context menu on right-click where you can choose what to reset to.
Interesting. I was thinking of how to approach this. My method would be to reset to the last saved value on right-click but reset to the default value on holding the right mouse button for one second. Curious how KevGP is able to interact with them. Either way, it's good to be able to force default settings for a single slider.
Quote:
...I use BreakawayOne for main processing and just need the Declipper/Natural Dynamics to complete the sound... So, while the new interface does get kinda close to the same mission as the smaller plugin, it still is a bit more bulky than needed. Even if you disable everything but these two items, you're still installing a bigger package and it probably (I've not actually measured) still has a bigger CPU/RAM footprint than just the minimal plugin mentioned.
Ah yeah, the memory footprint might be different. I'm getting about 100-150MB less of a footprint in the latest beta compared to the previous one, so it's probably not set in stone yet. I assume most of that stuff is optimization-level stuff that would be addressed once the UI is feature-complete and out for the rest of the platforms. [edit: nevermind, it's related to the number of pages you've opened... I just had a fresh session. HOWEVER if you run Cleanmem, it'll dump it back down to 150 or less if minimized. Perhaps the app could clear its own memory from old pages or when minimized?]

I also used to use BA1 for primary processing, and still love the software. But I've been experimenting with just using ST for processing (previously as a plugin in BA1, now stand alone during the GUI beta) ever since I realized BA1 has a permanent high-pass filter that eliminates my precious True-Bass sub tones. Also, I read about how Hans' clipper beat out Leif's clipper in the Telos Alliance trials, and they even included it in Leif's Omnia software.
So I ended up using BA1 as a host program for ST, which appears to work more stably than the stand-alone ST buffers, and I don't know if it's a configuration issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:36 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. I was thinking of how to approach this. My method would be to reset to the last saved value on right-click but reset to the default value on holding the right mouse button for one second. Curious how KevGP is able to interact with them. Either way, it's good to be able to force default settings for a single slider.
Ah, the addition of the typable number makes my idea a bad one. The right-click has grown on me. I'm really liking it. How is this aspect planned for the web GUI?
edit: ah it's the triangles for default, and the value is clickable for direct changing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:59 pm 

Quote:
What exactly does the old GUI offer that the new GUI doesn't? Isn't all this just under the Quick-Adjust Texture cell once you expand it? The limits are -6 to +6 db, is this too constrained for your requirements?
The limits in the old GUI version are -12 to +12, and attack/release can be adjusted in the old GUI from 0.13 to 8.00 x. However the new GUI version offers -6 to +6, and 0.5 to 2.0 x. A lot less.

Some presets don't seem to have any effect when I adjust the stuff mentioned above, like Jeroen Platenkamp - Centurion. It's probably a problem with the presets.

The quoted post came from the old GUI beta thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:34 pm 

v021 DSP seems to be working however the NEW DSP GUI crashes Winamp when selecting it.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1950 Next