All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 1850 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:36 am 

Quote:
The whole "just add a setting" thing is what we're trying to resolve.
Sorry, I'm trying hard to avoid using those terms while attempting to provide an idea for a solution. I know it's not easy and I never tried to imply it was. Where I'm from, complaining about something without having an idea on how to fix it is looked down upon.

I'm still not completely clear on what this means. Are you saying the intent is to avoid additional settings in the UI?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:35 pm 

Quote:
Sorry, I'm trying hard to avoid using those terms while attempting to provide an idea for a solution. I know it's not easy and I never tried to imply it was. Where I'm from, complaining about something without having an idea on how to fix it is looked down upon.
We're in the business of software development: we're used to, nay, relying on people complaining without them having a clue what's actually going on or how to fix it :lol:

Seriously though, please keep throwing any and all issues at us. It's how we improve.
You being incredibly constructive is a nice bonus.
Quote:
Are you saying the intent is to avoid additional settings in the UI?
That's exactly what I'm saying. A huge problem of the old GUI is that it was so cluttered.

The long-term idea for the meter bar is to be able to fold and unfold it, maybe even to select which meters you want it to show on a per-page basis...
But we need context menus for that.
The last thing we want is to have to add another settings menu on some page with a bucket of checkboxes, overwhelming people.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:37 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
We're in the business of software development: we're used to, nay, relying on people complaining without them having a clue what's actually going on or how to fix it :lol:

Seriously though, please keep throwing any and all issues at us. It's how we improve.
You being incredibly constructive is a nice bonus.
Quote:
Are you saying the intent is to avoid additional settings in the UI?
That's exactly what I'm saying. A huge problem of the old GUI is that it was so cluttered.

The long-term idea for the meter bar is to be able to fold and unfold it, maybe even to select which meters you want it to show on a per-page basis...
But we need context menus for that.
The last thing we want is to have to add another settings menu on some page with a bucket of checkboxes, overwhelming people.
What about making the meter pane resizable (and having it automatically remember the size), perhaps on a per-page basis?

Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:57 pm 

Quote:
What about making the meter pane resizable (and having it automatically remember the size), perhaps on a per-page basis?
I could do that, yes, but it would only be remembered during that specific session. Would that be acceptable?

Anything we want to save will end up in the parameter list (permanently) and I'm trying to avoid that during development, since those settings might end up not being necessary in the final product.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:54 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I could do that, yes, but it would only be remembered during that specific session. Would that be acceptable?

Anything we want to save will end up in the parameter list (permanently) and I'm trying to avoid that during development, since those settings might end up not being necessary in the final product.
Having it adjustable is better than not. And even if its memory extends only for this session, that's fine. It's not an imposition to have to resize it on each launch of the application.

You mentioned also possibly allowing the user to configure which meters are displayed, somehow. I'm in favor of that, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:21 am 
Site Admin

BETA011 is posted! Biggest change is that we added a Winamp plugin with new GUI version. The rounding and Bypass clicking issues that were mentioned above are fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:24 pm 

Just tried the Winamp version with the new interface:
  1. The initial window size is about 1/35 of the screen.
  2. It feels like many more clicks are necessary to reach any setting.
  3. Expanded sections like e.g. input/ouput scope don't stay expanded after ST is restarted.
  4. GUI glitch when moving the mouse over high frequencies (>12 kHz) of a equalizer curve.
  5. OLD AND NOT GUI: Equalizer shows option 'Before Multibands' 2 times.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:01 pm 

Because I have to.... Will the declipper only plugin/vst get a fresh update as well here shortly? Dunno if there's anything under the hood different, but the new gui treatment would be cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:21 am 

Out of curiosity, what's the point of using the declipper-only plugin? Is it just simplicity? If so, you should definitely try the new ST GUI with just the repair filters enabled. Things are folded, pretty well organized, and labeled more clearly.

What would you want out of a declipper-focused GUI? The entire Repair section +ND? Would the advanced clipper be beneficial at all since it (seems to) has the worse-sounding simple one? Can one even buy the declipper by itself anymore, or is it only an addon for the Basic+ licenses? At what point would it just be better to use ST?

I've always wondered these things.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Question.

We're looking into how reset works now.

Currently, a factory reset is a bit strange. In the sound card settings, it DOES reset the sample rate to 44.1, enables Normal Output and disables FM output, but it doesn't touch the selected sound cards themselves. It turns tilt correction (RC settings) off but keeps the values. The behavior is very inconsistent. So I want to get some feedback about what it should do:
  • Don't touch sound card settings at all. So leave all the levels, buffer sizes, ASIO channels etc. as is. This is probably a bad idea.
  • Reset all of them (basically only enable Input and Normal Output, set to Microsoft Sound Mapper at 44.1 kHz, buffers at 1 second, etc.).
  • Some in-between version. I can imagine that keeping the sound card selection can be useful - but then what do we do with what's enabled/disabled, buffer sizes, RC settings, Input 2 mode (Bimp/Backup/Add/SCA) etc?

Similar question for RDS: Should things like the PI code, PS text etc be reset to their default values? Almost everything else is... But the defaults in this case (PI=FFFF, PS="Stereo/Tool/...") don't really make much sense.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 1850 Next