All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 50 Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:21 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
It is not possible to open a preset (file) in the Mac version of the new GUI.
This is still a current issue. Could this be fixed?
Last I heard, Tom was still working on the preset manager. He was teasing features that have not made it yet, so I bet this is on the list of what is currently being addressed.

As a workaround, you could try the web interface in the meantime.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:58 pm 

So, I've been trying to think of things that the new GUI can do that the old GUI could not. To expand upon the original concept of "favoriting" certain sliders/toggles, what would be really freaking cool is having a way to link two sliders.

I essentially want to be able to combine the lowest MB band's Threshold to the same Band Mix into one slider, in an inverse manner, for my sub-bass management (so when it's all the way to the left, it's a high threshold and low band mix; and vice versa on the right). Having the ability to do this with any set of sliders on the fly would be game-changing when designing presets.

I realize this is a crazy complex request to implement... but please kick it around for a while before deciding against it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:16 pm 

Loving the new GUI—looks great on my 4k screen. I do have a few questions which I hope haven't been asked before:

1. Will presets made with the old version (9.92) translate to version 10 100% or is it better to keep the old version for recall?

2. Are all the old expert tweaker settings available in the new version and if not, is there a list to see which ones have been deprecated?

3. In the old version ACR Stereo was described as "the best" stereo effect. I really liked it, but cannot find it in the new version. Has it been discarded, is it now called something else, or is it just not ready yet?

4. Are all the overviews going to be re-instated? For example on 9.92 when you click on Stereo you can see at-a-glance which filters are active for this type of processing.

Many thanks for any insights!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:02 pm 

Quote:
1. Will presets made with the old version (9.92) translate to version 10 100% or is it better to keep the old version for recall?

2. Are all the old expert tweaker settings available in the new version and if not, is there a list to see which ones have been deprecated?

3. In the old version ACR Stereo was described as "the best" stereo effect. I really liked it, but cannot find it in the new version. Has it been discarded, is it now called something else, or is it just not ready yet?

4. Are all the overviews going to be re-instated? For example on 9.92 when you click on Stereo you can see at-a-glance which filters are active for this type of processing.
Hi, I think I can answer most of these.

1. I believe the intent, as with all release versions of ST, is to be fully backward compatible with older presets. I don't think they want folks to keep using older versions outside of academic purposes. Though you may or may not need to enable the flag to show depreciated settings in your ini... I had trouble finding the toggle for this in the GUI itself.

2. All of the settings are supposed to be nested within cells and popovers. The intent was to remove the requirement for changing Operating Modes while keeping all settings available.

3. I could be wrong, but I think that's the basic Stereo Boost effect. One way to check is to make a blank preset with only ACR enabled in the old GUI. Then import it in the new GUI and see what filter is enabled.

4. There is a Processing or Repair Overview popover at the bottom of the Quick Adjust menus (not the one located with the "HOME" button, the one located by clicking Processing or Repair). There is also a metering-only page accessible by clicking the dial-meter-looking logo next to the "Home" button at the very top, which allows you to navigate to any enabled filter quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:17 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is not possible to open a preset (file) in the Mac version of the new GUI.
This is still a current issue. Could this be fixed?
Last I heard, Tom was still working on the preset manager. He was teasing features that have not made it yet, so I bet this is on the list of what is currently being addressed.

As a workaround, you could try the web interface in the meantime.
The Web interface also doesn't work with the new GUI on Mac (in the old GUI it works).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:41 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Hi, I think I can answer most of these.

1. I believe the intent, as with all release versions of ST, is to be fully backward compatible with older presets. I don't think they want folks to keep using older versions outside of academic purposes. Though you may or may not need to enable the flag to show depreciated settings in your ini... I had trouble finding the toggle for this in the GUI itself.

2. All of the settings are supposed to be nested within cells and popovers. The intent was to remove the requirement for changing Operating Modes while keeping all settings available.

3. I could be wrong, but I think that's the basic Stereo Boost effect. One way to check is to make a blank preset with only ACR enabled in the old GUI. Then import it in the new GUI and see what filter is enabled.

4. There is a Processing or Repair Overview popover at the bottom of the Quick Adjust menus (not the one located with the "HOME" button, the one located by clicking Processing or Repair). There is also a metering-only page accessible by clicking the dial-meter-looking logo next to the "Home" button at the very top, which allows you to navigate to any enabled filter quickly.
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I think you've answered 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 are still open so maybe the dev can chime in. ACR has a lot of parameters that the simple Stereo Boost simply doesn't have. I can't load presets as I'm on Mac, otherwise your suggestion would have been brilliant. And I'm talking about "local", not general overviews. Like I said, you could see everything relating to stereo treatments at-a-glance, now you can't. So I guess I'll be sticking to the old version for a few more months as right now the downsides outweigh the upsides for me personally.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

1. We run automated tests with every build to make sure that presets don't change between versions (except when we decide that a change is ok). So you can safely use older presets in the new GUI. We have been doing this for a few years now, since around version 9.60. Presets from older versions may in some cases behave differently (usually can be fixed with a single setting, but you need to know which one).

2. I think we removed 10 settings out of over 8000. So everything is still there.

3. ACR Stereo is now called Stereo Delay. Stereo Boost is something else. I'm not sure that I would agree that Stereo Delay is the best one, but it's definitely a matter of taste.

4. Anything that's enabled that's relevant should be visible. Now, if you have disabled certain stereo filters, they will be hidden (many people have requested that because there was far too much unused "stuff" in the meter bar). If you are missing things, let us know - we can of course have made errors (there are really LOTS of settings).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:27 pm 

Thank you for clarifying!
Quote:
4. Anything that's enabled that's relevant should be visible. Now, if you have disabled certain stereo filters, they will be hidden (many people have requested that because there was far too much unused "stuff" in the meter bar). If you are missing things, let us know - we can of course have made errors (there are really LOTS of settings).
I remember not too long ago there was talk of perhaps showing disabled filters in the metering (a toggle?). I assume this ended in a no-go?

I still think some things on the left filter list that have a sub-list should have an overview page when clicking the main entry. For example, the main Stereo entry has a stack of filters that show once you expand it. This entry should not only expand and reveal the filters, but when selected, it should also display a page showing which stereo filters are enabled. As it is, you have to click each filter entry on the left to see what's enabled (or visit Processing > Quick Adjust > Processing overview).

Or I suppose if the filter is enabled, could the entry on the list to the left be shaded somehow to signify it is?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Or I suppose if the filter is enabled, could the entry on the list to the left be shaded somehow to signify it is?
Oh! I like that idea!

We haven't decided against things yet, I just forgot that that came up - sorry! And you might be right about the empty pages; we'll think about that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:22 pm 

Thanks for all your answers. I'm new to the congregation so haven't been active in any beta discussions to come up with suggestions. And yes, that's what I liked about the old top-level pages: you could not only see what was enabled, but also try different combinations quickly without having to dive into the menus of the filters themselves. Not every filter is included in the metering, so placing the toggle there wouldn't be sufficient. Maybe in addition to shading the filters on the left, a double-click to enable-disable and a simple click to select the filter's menu? Going back to the old separate "overview" page would still be my preference though. So you'd have a Dynamics page with on/off switches for Natural Dynamics, AGC, Multiband 1 etc.

I'm a music producer so to me "Stereo Delay" means "echo, echo, echo" so I didn't check there. Thanks!

What still can't find is the tooltips. I love having 10000 parameters to tweak but without tooltips that's impossible.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 50 Next