All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1926 Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:44 pm 

Quote:
New product: STudio low latency studio monitoring!
Whoa, what's this?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
New product: STudio low latency studio monitoring!
Whoa, what's this?
We came back from the IBC with a lot of new product ideas - this is one of those! A Pi image for studio monitoring, latency appears to be about 4.5 ms (but I need to test it more thoroughly).

BETA060 is posted now. Shouldn't behave any differently than BETA058 in most cases, but in extremely low latency modes the CPU load should be slightly lower. Hopefully it's reduced enough to run PiMP at a lower latency than before (I need to change some cables to test it, will do that when I'm in the office tomorrow morning).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:26 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The web interface no longer works. The controls don't do anything when I slide them around.
I assume you're talking about the old web interface? I've added it to the todo list. The interface code has been rewritten and it doesn't do exactly the same as before anymore - but the JavaScript code for the old web interface has not been updated yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:34 pm 

From time to time i am asking same question(s), so it's kinda time to ask again. When will some crucial stuff in processing will be fixed, like..
Total non usable limiters/clippers in MBs. - They works kinda properly but only on "Hear" output.
Is there any way to fix Bass sounds "wobbling" and presenting low freq noise instead pure harmonics, mostly presented in Clipper and HPF, but it's bit present in every other filter that works with low freq sounds. And no, quality at 150% does not fix it.

Many other things in AGC, clipper, pre-limiter, RDS, input2, backup,.. i have list that's getting longer every year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Total non usable limiters/clippers in MBs. - They works kinda properly but only on "Hear" output.
We use them all the time in lots of presets, and they work. But it's possible that there is an error in a level calculation that makes them not work in certain combinations of settings. If so, most likely the compression won't work properly either. So, please send me a preset in which they do nothing.
Quote:
Is there any way to fix Bass sounds "wobbling" and presenting low freq noise instead pure harmonics, mostly presented in Clipper and HPF, but it's bit present in every other filter that works with low freq sounds. And no, quality at 150% does not fix it.
Not really... 150% should actually fix it. I know there can be a small trace of it left, but that really shouldnt' be audible anymore?

Note: If there is a calculation error in the levels as I mentioned above, that will likely make these wobbles much worse.
Quote:
Many other things in AGC, clipper, pre-limiter, RDS, input2, backup,.. i have list that's getting longer every year.
Pre-limiter is outdated and not very useful anymore (do you have a use for it???)
What about RDS?
Input 2 is fixed in Enterprise, and once enough people are using Enterprise for us to trust that it's reliable, we will merge it to the normal Stereo Tool. That's also a necessary step to improve other backup behavior.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:43 pm 

MB limiters: no they don't work same as on "hear" output and yes probably compressors too (didn't check that), and i know cause, It's bastardizer. It's must be ON with whatever settings and then limiters kinda works as should.

Bass wobbling: It's bad, and it's not only is it audible or not, i assume it causes bass clippers and rest of filters there to not work as should, less precize and cause mid-bass vibrations. Not to mention that whatever freq settings you put in bass clippers, noise from "wobbling" will literally push some lowest bass UP even if it's reduced by all 3 bass clippers.

Pre-Limiter: I found good usage for it and i sent you PM about it few days ago. It will literally greatly reduce sound drop caused by loud highs, and in same time, depending how much you use it, it will make highs to sound like everyone wants from ST for years. (sand)

RDS: Few years ago i asked for separate RDS Settings that can be saved. (Save > RDS Settings), You put some FM settings that is not related to RDS, like Composite clipper and L-R Asymmetry, etc, to be only in FM Settings. I use different settings for some of them, and if i want to load my FM preset i need to load "All Audio AND FM settings" to be sure that everything is as should, however I don't want to ruin my current RDS Settings and to rewrite them every damn time. SO, or you put all this settings in "Audio", or make RDS settings savable.

Input2: Yes, i know you told me for new input2 and i know it's working in enterprize since i use it and i MUST use it if i want backup to work and not kill buffer after some time. But that's not only problem. We can set to be 'Stream via VLC' source, but no box to enter address, we also miss mono, stereo, L or R, like in input1. Whole AES67 part is missing too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
MB limiters: no they don't work same as on "hear" output and yes probably compressors too (didn't check that), and i know cause, It's bastardizer. It's must be ON with whatever settings and then limiters kinda works as should.

Bass wobbling: It's bad, and it's not only is it audible or not, i assume it causes bass clippers and rest of filters there to not work as should, less precize and cause mid-bass vibrations. Not to mention that whatever freq settings you put in bass clippers, noise from "wobbling" will literally push some lowest bass UP even if it's reduced by all 3 bass clippers.

Pre-Limiter: I found good usage for it and i sent you PM about it few days ago. It will literally greatly reduce sound drop caused by loud highs, and in same time, depending how much you use it, it will make highs to sound like everyone wants from ST for years. (sand)

RDS: Few years ago i asked for separate RDS Settings that can be saved. (Save > RDS Settings), You put some FM settings that is not related to RDS, like Composite clipper and L-R Asymmetry, etc, to be only in FM Settings. I use different settings for some of them, and if i want to load my FM preset i need to load "All Audio AND FM settings" to be sure that everything is as should, however I don't want to ruin my current RDS Settings and to rewrite them every damn time. SO, or you put all this settings in "Audio", or make RDS settings savable.

Input2: Yes, i know you told me for new input2 and i know it's working in enterprize since i use it and i MUST use it if i want backup to work and not kill buffer after some time. But that's not only problem. We can set to be 'Stream via VLC' source, but no box to enter address, we also miss mono, stereo, L or R, like in input1. Whole AES67 part is missing too.
MB limiters: I do indeed see a small difference (about 40 dB below the audio level) that's unexpected. (If the difference is 40 dB down, the difference in level is likely 0.01 dB or so). I don't think that that's what you mean? I can't check it now but my expectation is that this difference is mainly distortion, which isn't filtered out if Hear is enabled. I'm clipping and limiting more than 10 dB to get this level of difference - it doesn't seem to be a lot. If you hear bigger differences, please send me your preset. The fact that enabling Basstardizer helps points at the direction that I expected, but I need your preset to find the exact problem (a missing multiplication somewhere - VERY easy to fix if I know what's missing, but I need your preset that has this issue to find what that is).

Pre-Limiter: To use it as you describe, we might need something to allow you to configure how loud each frequency area is allowed to get. Tom was talking about the same thing, we'll take this into consideration.

RDS: This is something we need to include in our new presets mechanism. We were alreay planning to have a list of FM presets, but separating RDS sounds like a very good idea as well.

Input 2: All those things are planned... but not yet there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:44 pm 

To see what is difference in MB limiters, Turn ON just MB and Clipper play 50Hz sine tone, make limiter in that band to attenuate atleast ~6db set limiter speed to 0.1ms (lowest) you should have HARD clipping wich is normal since speed is 0.1ms, but you will not. Then press "hear" in MB, and now clipping is there and peek level is maintained always.
Or just load this audio settings
Attachment:
MB_Limiter Test_50Hz.sts [398.73 KiB]
Downloaded 39 times
and play 50Hz sine on input at 100%

Press 'Hear' in MB.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
To see what is difference in MB limiters, Turn ON just MB and Clipper play 50Hz sine tone, make limiter in that band to attenuate atleast ~6db set limiter speed to 0.1ms (lowest) you should have HARD clipping wich is normal since speed is 0.1ms, but you will not. Then press "hear" in MB, and now clipping is there and peek level is maintained always.
Oh. Yes, I see it now. Weird that that does not appear to happen at all with music.

This is not trivial to fix... I'll have a listen tomorrow to see if it actually sounds better with Hear (but I assume you already did that?)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:56 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Oh. Yes, I see it now. Weird that that does not appear to happen at all with music.

This is not trivial to fix... I'll have a listen tomorrow to see if it actually sounds better with Hear (but I assume you already did that?)
It is better since limiter on 'hear' normaly maintain peek level, how it should be, where you set it (thresh). When it's not on 'hear' (how you should normally use it in preset), peek level is all over the place.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1926 Next