All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 826 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
oh, i kinda likes the old meter behavior, the new one is sort of backwards when it operates (9.92 beta 5).
Oops, that was broken. Will fix it in the next build. This direction-in-which-meters-are-drawn thing is really WAY more difficult than it should be (mainly in the old GUI)...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:25 pm 

Quote:
for me, im not so into the fancy GUI looks, i prefer advanced displays and advanced settings over "candy" looking GUI's and simpleton settings.
i havent tried ST 10 because it seems the GUI and settings are geared for "dummies" and i dont like that, unless there is a checkbox to revert the GUI to "advanced" for people like me. (i have not read the thread discussion completely)
I mean, give it a try before deciding it's not for you.

It has all the previous UI's functions, just most settings are tucked and folded down. While I would like a simple function to unfold all functions to densify it, it's far from being overly simplistic. I can't count how many times I've had to get people to enable a higher operating mode and then decide the software was just too overwhelming. They're far from "dummies" or "simpletons"... they're just not audio aficionados.

Complaining about the future UI in the old UI thread is not the way to make it better or improve it for your use.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:46 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
for me, im not so into the fancy GUI looks, i prefer advanced displays and advanced settings over "candy" looking GUI's and simpleton settings.
i havent tried ST 10 because it seems the GUI and settings are geared for "dummies" and i dont like that, unless there is a checkbox to revert the GUI to "advanced" for people like me. (i have not read the thread discussion completely)
I mean, give it a try before deciding it's not for you.

It has all the previous UI's functions, just most settings are tucked and folded down. While I would like a simple function to unfold all functions to densify it, it's far from being overly simplistic. I can't count how many times I've had to get people to enable a higher operating mode and then decide the software was just too overwhelming. They're far from "dummies" or "simpletons"... they're just not audio aficionados.

Complaining about the future UI in the old UI thread is not the way to make it better or improve it for your use.
yeah, you got a point, i guess im a bit too selfish when it comes to being an audio aficionado since ive been doing it my whole life.
i wasnt attempting to "call out" or insult anyone as being a "simpleton" or a "dummy", i was merely making a case reference to the old books like "windows for dummies" (yeah, im a windows aficionado as well since v.3.1).
perhaps i will give it a try and take a look.
i do appreciate what Hans has done to the software over the years from v.3 to now even if those improvements are not to my liking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:30 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
oh, i kinda likes the old meter behavior, the new one is sort of backwards when it operates (9.92 beta 5).
Oops, that was broken. Will fix it in the next build. This direction-in-which-meters-are-drawn thing is really WAY more difficult than it should be (mainly in the old GUI)...
FM/LL buffer bar and ITU reversed too, input 1/2 buffer bar does not even work. De-Esser still does not have button to be disabled fully.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:44 pm 

Quote:
De-Esser still does not have button to be disabled fully.
an older version of ST, i think from 3-4 years ago, had this adjustment setting of +7.23 that would disable it (evidenced by the greyed out slope adjustment) but you can no longer do this with the newer versions since the max is now +7.00 unless your saved settings already had the old value.
you can also edit the settings file and manually enter a value to disable it.
i do agree, there should be a button to disable it or raising the value to maximum should disable it, like it was previously.

Attachments:
de-esser.jpg
de-esser.jpg [ 26.47 KiB | Viewed 1738 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:51 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FM/LL buffer bar and ITU reversed too, input 1/2 buffer bar does not even work. De-Esser still does not have button to be disabled fully.
an older version of ST, i think from 3-4 years ago, had this adjustment setting of +7.23 that would disable it (evidenced by the greyed out slope adjustment) but you can no longer do this with the newer versions unless your saved settings already had this value previously.
you can also edit the settings file and manually enter a value to disable it.
Yeah i know, now we don't have even that (+7.23). And if i need to use ini file to fix simple things like this i will fully switch to command line version or whatever uses nogui.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:06 pm 

Quote:
Yeah i know, now we don't have even that (+7.23). And if i need to use ini file to fix simple things like this i will fully switch to command line version or whatever uses nogui.
i should mention, there are many settings that have changed/disappeared from older versions, that can only be adjusted from the settings file if that previous setting exists in the file.
for example, the window setting for the legacy AGC, its gone, however, i realized the "current" AGC window setting affects the legacy AGC window setting.
so in fact, there are some settings for the "current" modules that do affect the legacy modules.
"aggressiveness" for MB1 digital/analog is also gone but the setting still remains in the settings file (if you had ST prior to when "aggressiveness" disappeared.)
a shame for first time installers as i dont believe those legacy settings exist in a newly created settings file.
glad i started with ST years ago and kept the same settings file since then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:36 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
i should mention, there are many settings that have changed/disappeared from older versions, that can only be adjusted from the settings file if that previous setting exists in the file.
for example, the window setting for the legacy AGC, its gone, however, i realized the "current" AGC window setting affects the legacy AGC window setting.
so in fact, there are some settings for the "current" modules that do affect the legacy modules.
"aggressiveness" for MB1 digital/analog is also gone but the setting still remains in the settings file (if you had ST prior to when "aggressiveness" disappeared.)
a shame for first time installers as i dont believe those legacy settings exist in a newly created settings file.
Don't do this! You now make me to talk about AGC? I can't tell you how bad and unusefull is "current" AGC with bugged and wrongly maded Window. And band control in more then 1 band is story for itself.
There is also strange bug when you try to disable Old AGC where you can still see yellow bar working, even greyed out Ratio slider still working. I cant even start to talk about wrong ITU shapes in AGC and MB, where, btw, one in AGC is NOT same as one in MBs! My last fight ended when after more then year, normal output limiter is finally decently working.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:49 pm 

Quote:
I can't tell you how bad and unusefull is "current" AGC with bugged and wrongly maded Window. And band control in more then 1 band is story for itself.
i agree with you but others may not.
thats why i prefer the legacy AGC.
although the window adjustment is gone from the legacy AGC, the window adjustment in the current AGC affects the same non-existent window adjustment for the legacy AGC.
so if i wanted to adjust the window for the legacy AGC, i would go into current AGC, adjust the window and then go back to legacy AGC, then save my settings.
theres a saying, sometimes the first design is the best design.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Aggressiveness is *identical* to the global release speed control, so there were 2 sliders that did the exact same thing. That's why we removed it. The AGC stuff sounds like a bug, I'll have t check what's happening there - if those sliders do something they should be visible.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 826 Next