All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1320 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Lowpass filter still active in bypass (hd). Also sounds different in bypass.
There are multiple clipping stages, one that was filtering at about 500 Hz higher wasn't disabled - that's fixed now. The FM lowpass filters still do filter, because they have to to generate a valid MPX signal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can you try to describe what you're hearing? I'm curious if it's the same thing.
Idk how to desscribe it, it's pretty much similar sound as on 'diff' button, also diff or not, it's always about 80% on right channel.
Found it. It took me almost a full day starting at it and debugging it before I realized that there was a typo in the code. If the phase difference was very big, due to that typo we were looking at the left channel instead of the right channel (so it said "L" instead of "R"), which affected the audio in the right channel. I think there's another improvement possible (it may do too much in some cases), but the main issue that you heard seems to be solved.

This wasn't a new issue by the way, but changes in the new version made it far more noticeable.
I figured that this image might be interesting.

The "Phase limiter" is there to avoid extreme phase differences between left and right, of which complete anti-phase is the most extreme version. For lower differences we want to reduce the maximum phase difference so not all sounds disappear when you listen in mono; extreme differences often indicate problems with the source material and will typically sound better if you just remove the phase for such instruments (yes, this works on a per-instrument basis) completely.

The image below shows the mono output of 2 tones that starts in complete anti-phase, then move to complete-in-phase, in versions 9.83, 9.84 previous beta's, and the new version, with the maximum phase difference set to 135 degrees.

1. Up to version 9.83, setting the value above 90 degrees caused complete anti-phase to stay there. So it didn't repair it at all.
2. Previous beta's fixed that, but did WAY too much.
3. This is what it's doing now, and I think this is what it should do.

Aside from doing way too much, the previous beta's (2) also caused weird artifacts on the right channel. That's a separate issue, which isn't really visible in graphs like this.

90 degrees will cause a 3 dB level drop in the output, 135 degrees a 6 dB level drop, so 135 degrees is probably too much if you expect a lot of people who listen in mono. Also, very high values tend to sound annoying.

If you use "Limit maximum phase offset" under "AZIMUTH", you can control both thresholds (the maximum number of degrees difference and the distance above which it removes any phase differences) separately. All other places where this type of filters are present will try to choose a "sane value" based for the 2nd based on the 1st.
Attachment:
phase.png
phase.png [ 35.97 KiB | Viewed 2491 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:46 pm 

Are you referring to mono, as in mono sound output? Actually at 64 KBPS and lower, MP3 sounds better in mono than stereo.

One other suggestion, can StereoTool's installer not launch the browser when I update it? I've seen the "Thanks for updating" page a zillion extra times.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:21 pm 

Quote:
One other suggestion, can StereoTool's installer not launch the browser when I update it? I've seen the "Thanks for updating" page a zillion extra times.
i second this.
while i understand the reason behind having the browser open to the "help" page, it is annoying to say the least.
at least place a check-box on the installer at the completion of installation to open the browser to the help page (default unchecked).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:45 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
i second this.
while i understand the reason behind having the browser open to the "help" page, it is annoying to say the least.
at least place a check-box on the installer at the completion of installation to open the browser to the help page (default unchecked).
I train myself to close it so quickly.. once i measured 250ms! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:29 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
i second this.
This is what I was thinking as well. A checkbox to open the documentation section (default unchecked) would be preferred. Especially with how prominent the Help button is in itself.

Secondly, the Help button seems to lead to http://help.thimeo.com/ which isn't currently configured, it seems.

Last edited by MrKlorox on Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:30 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i second this.
This is what I was thinking as well. A checkbox to open the documentation section (default unchecked) would be preferred. Especially with how prominent the Help button is in itself.
I always thought it was cool when it would dig around and somehow figure out how to launch IE!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:52 pm 

The download to the beta for the mac gives an error. I tried the link with -024.dmg, then it works. You will then receive 023.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:08 am 

What is this Mid-Bass Clipping?
https://i.imgur.com/NdB0zik.png

This is almost all bass and mid-bass and some mids clipping, i mean fully down from 50Hz? and what's that narrow fillter around 600Hz, and it should start around 500Hz.. slowly. Same question for "reduce bass from mids" it's steep filter from 500Hz. it should go slowly from atleast 400Hz.
What's with "mids clipping"? Seems does not work, atleast not in the way like 'mid-bass clipping'.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:50 am 

Quote:
Secondly, the Help button seems to lead to http://help.thimeo.com/ which isn't currently configured, it seems.
Well now we know they use Apache. LOL

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1320 Next