All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:51 am 

Wait, Limiter is fixed, how i missed that.. checking instantaneously..

edit: No it's not, still bad.
edit2: Not only that there is still audible pre-ringing and strange bass crackling/clipping/choping, but now overall sounds softer and with more pumping.
It seems that now "max limit release" has way more effect, so no way that default is 1000ms.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Quote:

edit2: Not only that there is still audible pre-ringing and strange bass crackling/clipping/choping, but now overall sounds softer and with more pumping.
It seems that now "max limit release" has way more effect, so no way that default is 1000ms.
Well the bugs in the behavior are fixed. I have not noticed any pre-ringing, what settings are you using? Bass crackling must mean that the release speed is too high or attack is too slow, I assume... To get louder output, reduce "max limit release".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:28 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Well the bugs in the behavior are fixed. I have not noticed any pre-ringing, what settings are you using? Bass crackling must mean that the release speed is too high or attack is too slow, I assume... To get louder output, reduce "max limit release".
ok..
Here 2 files where you can easy hear pre-ringing and bass crackling, wich is not present in clipper (short, play in loop)..
Attachment:
limiter_test.rar [1.35 MiB]
Downloaded 189 times
So, when you hear it, first thing is to change/set "bass clipping strictness" to 0 (mid one). That is a must for limiter but necessary for clipper to be 1!
Idk that those two can be separated, but limiter should always use 0 and clipper 1.
When that filter is at 0, limiter is noticable better but still not fully without pre-ring and bass chopping.
Found "Max Limit Release" at 18ms is fine. Surely not 1000ms! 2-20ms is where it should be.
Studio one preset used.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:36 pm 

for beta 7:
'Multiband 1: Added "sudden drop protection" (similar to what's in the AGC) for testing, requested by Wes Keene.'
should be noted that this change applies for MB1 analog operation, it does not apply to MB1 digital operation (which i use)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ok..
Here 2 files where you can easy hear pre-ringing and bass crackling, wich is not present in clipper (short, play in loop)..
limiter_test.rar
So, when you hear it, first thing is to change/set "bass clipping strictness" to 0 (mid one). That is a must for limiter but necessary for clipper to be 1!
Idk that those two can be separated, but limiter should always use 0 and clipper 1.
When that filter is at 0, limiter is noticable better but still not fully without pre-ring and bass chopping.
Found "Max Limit Release" at 18ms is fine. Surely not 1000ms! 2-20ms is where it should be.
Studio one preset used.
Ah. Advanced Bass Distortion Protection is causing this. The preringing disappears if I turn it off, and changes if I change the frequencies there. Will try to look into it tomorrow. For now, test with ABDP turned off for MUCH better results.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:01 pm 

Quote:
Ah. Advanced Bass Distortion Protection is causing this. The preringing disappears if I turn it off, and changes if I change the frequencies there. Will try to look into it tomorrow. For now, test with ABDP turned off for MUCH better results.
Yeah, no chopping and no pre-ring.. but we need that thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:07 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Actually it's crystal clean even at 50% quality.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Actually it's crystal clean even at 50% quality.
Found it. ABDP was executed *twice*, which (for all kinds of complex reasons) caused nasty side effects. So the fix for this will also reduce the CPU load.

Edit: I think I've fixed it, but there's something I don't understand. There must have been a reason why the code was as complex as it was... I don't get it though, I've verified that the ABDP-stage is actually using clipping instead of limiting. And it is. (Oh... maybe the issue was that it's now also using clipping on the mids and highs individually. Since it's individually it's probably ok-ish... we'll see when this version is available in release mode, in debug mode I can't really test it properly).

Edit: Yes...that was the issue. I'll try to fix that in a different (simpler) way now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
for beta 7:
'Multiband 1: Added "sudden drop protection" (similar to what's in the AGC) for testing, requested by Wes Keene.'
should be noted that this change applies for MB1 analog operation, it does not apply to MB1 digital operation (which i use)
It's probably a bad idea anyway.. so most likely we'll remove it again before releasing. (Wes is still testing, I'm waiting for that)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:10 am 

In beta 7, there's no way to kill StereoTool by just closing it like there used to be. I assume a confirmation is shown, but as I'm using a screen reader I can't access ST's window to see what the confirmation is. I use the web interface exclusively for adjusting settings, and just close StereoTool's window when I'm done with it.
In any case, I have the setting for "Don't show warning on close=1" enabled in my config file so it's easier to close, at least in the last stable version. But in the beta, even though this is on, it has no effect.