All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 617 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:56 pm 

Quote:
I decided to again test "Current AGC" since its 'new' again.
What i see so far it's still a mess. Dont even know where to start but here is 3 things.

- Wide band agc (green) is wrong reading, atleas acording to display. So if it's used it will wrongly drive AGC.
- Window is a must in this agc, so, since there is finaly window speed settings, i tried to put very slow release , and very fast attack speeds inside window. However attack still has hold like' effect with loud burst. So it completely ignores my VERY fast window attack speed, very bad. It seems same happens in release, but it less hurts.. still bad.
- Back to 1. I must use wideband settings, since there is no classic limit between bands. B1 - don't go below B2 by X dB, or B2 don't go below B1 by Z dB. So i MUST use wideband settings to make not-big-diff between bands, wich is ridiculous. Then when you play tracks with mostly bass, it will NOT rise non-bass-bands by zilion dB, but i have wrong WB readings so everything i driven wrong anyways.
What even mean "Limit attack speed", It should be just "Attack Speed" and to mean and work just that, and same for release.
Wth is with gate freeze. It stops and still doing release for some time. Freeze need to be just that, Instant freeze. Also why not possible to turn off "gate slowdown"..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:51 pm 

Quote:
you are up to beta 17 on 6/23, just wondering what changes have been made, thanks.
Just trying the URL guessing numbers?
Looks like beta 18 has been posted now but I'm not sure when it was released. Here is the link to the standalone Windows X64 version, the one I use. https://www.stereotool.com/download/ste ... 71-018.exe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:21 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
you are up to beta 17 on 6/23, just wondering what changes have been made, thanks.
Looks like beta 18 has been posted now but I'm not sure when it was released. Here is the link to the standalone Windows X64 version, the one I use. https://www.stereotool.com/download/ste ... 71-018.exe
Please ignore all these versions, this is just for internal testing, nothing interesting has changed and in fact some things are broken. I'll post here when a new usable version is available.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:30 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
I decided to again test "Current AGC" since its 'new' again.
What i see so far it's still a mess. Dont even know where to start but here is 3 things.

- Wide band agc (green) is wrong reading, atleas acording to display. So if it's used it will wrongly drive AGC.
- Window is a must in this agc, so, since there is finaly window speed settings, i tried to put very slow release , and very fast attack speeds inside window. However attack still has hold like' effect with loud burst. So it completely ignores my VERY fast window attack speed, very bad. It seems same happens in release, but it less hurts.. still bad.
- Back to 1. I must use wideband settings, since there is no classic limit between bands. B1 - don't go below B2 by X dB, or B2 don't go below B1 by Z dB. So i MUST use wideband settings to make not-big-diff between bands, wich is ridiculous. Then when you play tracks with mostly bass, it will NOT rise non-bass-bands by zilion dB, but i have wrong WB readings so everything i driven wrong anyways.
What even mean "Limit attack speed", It should be just "Attack Speed" and to mean and work just that, and same for release.
Wth is with gate freeze. It stops and still doing release for some time. Freeze need to be just that, Instant freeze. Also why not possible to turn off "gate slowdown"..
The AGC metering has been broken in the last few builds. So, you can't really use that, it might be better to wait until that's fixed. This can also make it hard to figure out what the wideband sidechain is doing.

"Limit attack speed" is a different type of attack, with a constant (not dependent on how loud the sound is) maximum speed.

Make sure that you set the RMS size > 0, for example at 10 or 20 ms. That enables "Auto gate speed", which removes "Gate speed" and makes the gates act instantaneously. It also fixes the "hold like" effect on attack that you described. I guess the default is still 0, that's bad, I need to change that.

I'm not really sure about the wideband behavior, in some ways it seems to make more sense than having band coupling, but I'm not fully sure that it's indeed always a good idea. In most cases it should behave the same as band linking, because the loudest band and the wideband behavior should (and do) follow each other pretty closely, except when the bass band is the loudest and you're using a sidechain.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:32 am 

Ok will try all that, except i still dont understand window attack/release speed. Example: i want 5dB window, and attack speed inside window to be same as AGC attack speed. Release inside windows i want very slow, so how i do that?

edit1: Checked, nope gate freeze doing release after freeze. It's frezing only if there is no signal at all under gate. So basicly "Gate freeze" does not work at all, that only work "Gate slowdown"

edit2: Also checked attack hold effect with RMS Size. Still same, attack Still holding when window is used. Starting to think that somehow window target is slow.

edit3: If i use "Max Release Speed" some lower number, then "Relative Release Distance" does not work anymore, and i found that RRD very usefull.

edit4:
My final oppinion that this new (current) AGC so bad. Without going into details, simple everything about it is bad, even sliders and gui are bugged but that less important.
On top of that, now compressor in Legacy AGC is almost fully dead compared to v9.64 where it works normaly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:20 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Please ignore all these versions, this is just for internal testing, nothing interesting has changed and in fact some things are broken. I'll post here when a new usable version is available.
alright. i was just curious to keep in tune with whatever changes youre making so i could test them on my end.
i currently have x64 beta 19 installed and its working just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:32 am 

Finaly discovered what is broken in Legacy AGC, "Remove remaining peeks above" Threshold of that filter is so low, In latest ST after v9.64.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:02 am 

Quote:
Finaly discovered what is broken in Legacy AGC, "Remove remaining peeks above" Threshold of that filter is so low. In latest ST after v9.64.
im not sure i understand the issue you speak about but i do know that the function of the legacy AGC operates differently than "spikes" (also under legacy AGC) whereas, "remove remaining peaks above" set to 100% allows better dynamics but "spikes" set to 0dB and slope at 0dB with "remove remaining peaks above" at 100% can crush dynamics resulting in a "compressed" pumping sound especially if the range of dynamics is -36dB wide and the AGC reaction is fast with a 2048 block size.
however, having both set as indicated above can produce a more consistent AGC output, averaging at -6db with peaks to 0dB, provided the AGC block size is set at 512 and "improved release" is enabled using the gate set at 0dB with "gate before preamp" unchecked.
a smaller block size will prevent the AGC from "reacting" too much in either direction resulting in average AGC control, reducing "pumping" and allowing peaks which both "spikes" and "remove remaining peaks" will take care of to prevent loud "jumps" down the chain.
the goal is to keep the average max sound at -6db allowing peaks to 0db to preserve the dynamics.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:42 pm 

Exactly what i said, threshold of that slider is lower than in 9.64. So, erlier if you want to set it to 150% now in 9.71 it's something like 700%. Erlier i was blaming compressor in agc since there is no indication or bar of that "remove remaining peeks" thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:00 am 

Quote:
Exactly what i said, threshold of that slider is lower than in 9.64. So, erlier if you want to set it to 150% now in 9.71 it's something like 700%. Erlier i was blaming compressor in agc since there is no indication or bar of that "remove remaining peeks" thing.
i am using 9.71 beta 19, the two slider bars on mine have a range from 100% to 500%.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 617 Next