All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:43 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am pure non-programmer. What I think and what everybody think is every optimization is just great, everyone loves lower CPU usage, idk who don't.
But, when it comes specifically to ST and how something works, some things have just way more CPU usage then it should be, Great example is "Dynamic Speeds" in MB. I know some hardware microphone compressors that do almost exactly same thing and they work in realtime audio, so why ST needs so much CPU?
So, Optimization is always good, ofcourse, but also big question is what you actually do with that code.
If you set "Limit CPU" to "Low" or "Very low", dynamic speed mode uses 40% less CPU. I'm not really sure if the difference is noticeable in the audio... It shouldn't use that much CPU anyway, on my pc if I set both multibands to 9 bands, and enable dynamic speeds on all bands, it uses 11% of one CPU core with Quality set to 150% (8.5% with "Limit CPU" set to "Low"). That's in RMS mode, in Peak mode it is indeed heavy. In Peak mode, "Limit CPU" on "Sane maximum" is sufficient to lower the CPU usage, you need to set it to "Insane" to get the heavier version of the algorithm.
Why would i set that to 'Low' or 'Very low' for conventional older CPUs, even if audio is not noticable different in that filter, other filters suffers. Exactly "Dynamic speed" and other added/changed filters rised CPU usage wich asked for optimisation. It's strange that we have 150% quality but i am ending up to set it lower so that it can work on some older CPUs. Not to mention already bad Final limiter (for example) that gets really bad when you start lowering cpu usage less than 100% or less then "medium".
I normally don't test with peak mode, and in RMS mode it doesn't use much. Peak mode does indeed look problematic. But, peak mode already switches to the lower CPU mode if you set "Limit CPU" to "Sane". Which compressor and CPU modes are you using?

Even in Peak mode, with standard CPU settings (using 1 main core and 1 sub-thread), it doesn't use more than 20% per core here when "Limit CPU" is set to "Sane". And that's with 9 bands for both MB's.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:50 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you set "Limit CPU" to "Low" or "Very low", dynamic speed mode uses 40% less CPU. I'm not really sure if the difference is noticeable in the audio... It shouldn't use that much CPU anyway, on my pc if I set both multibands to 9 bands, and enable dynamic speeds on all bands, it uses 11% of one CPU core with Quality set to 150% (8.5% with "Limit CPU" set to "Low"). That's in RMS mode, in Peak mode it is indeed heavy. In Peak mode, "Limit CPU" on "Sane maximum" is sufficient to lower the CPU usage, you need to set it to "Insane" to get the heavier version of the algorithm.
Why would i set that to 'Low' or 'Very low' for conventional older CPUs, even if audio is not noticable different in that filter, other filters suffers. Exactly "Dynamic speed" and other added/changed filters rised CPU usage wich asked for optimisation. It's strange that we have 150% quality but i am ending up to set it lower so that it can work on some older CPUs. Not to mention already bad Final limiter (for example) that gets really bad when you start lowering cpu usage less than 100% or less then "medium".
I normally don't test with peak mode, and in RMS mode it doesn't use much. Peak mode does indeed look problematic. But, peak mode already switches to the lower CPU mode if you set "Limit CPU" to "Sane". Which compressor and CPU modes are you using?

Even in Peak mode, with standard CPU settings (using 1 main core and 1 sub-thread), it doesn't use more than 20% per core here when "Limit CPU" is set to "Sane". And that's with 9 bands for both MB's.
huh, i always prefer peek mode, and Sane CPU at 100% as default. You should compare with "Dynamic Speed" on and off. I just did with full HD preset, again, and total preset is 13.5% CPU usage and without DS is 10.8% (reported by ST). That is too much. beta037. Beta040 is somewhat strange, still dont know why and what.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:00 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Ha, wasapi again broken.
Huh? I don't think I have touched that code in weeks. Is this in BETA040? Input or output? And can you verify that the previous version (which one was that?) is still ok?

There is one thing that I have played with at some point, that's trying to open in non-exclusive mode first, and only going to exclusive mode if that fails. I'll generate a separate build tomorrow to test that. It seemed some time ago that exclusive mode can cause more problems.
Beta040. Beta037 is fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:03 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

huh, i always prefer peek mode, and Sane CPU at 100% as default. You should compare with "Dynamic Speed" on and off. I just did with full HD preset, again, and total preset is 13.5% CPU usage and without DS is 10.8% (reported by ST). That is too much. beta037. Beta040 is somewhat strange, still dont know why and what.
I measure about a 13% increase here when I go from both MB's in Peak mode without to with dynamic speeds. Your numbers would be 25%, but results will of course depend on the preset used for testing. There might be a way to reduce it, but I'll look into that later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:03 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ha, wasapi again broken.
Huh? I don't think I have touched that code in weeks. Is this in BETA040? Input or output? And can you verify that the previous version (which one was that?) is still ok?

There is one thing that I have played with at some point, that's trying to open in non-exclusive mode first, and only going to exclusive mode if that fails. I'll generate a separate build tomorrow to test that. It seemed some time ago that exclusive mode can cause more problems.
Beta040. Beta037 is fine.
Input or output? I'm running a build now, but I'll change it and restart it so there'll be a new version to test in about 2 hours. Unfortunately I didn't keep a copy of the 037 code, otherwise I would just copy it in. I cleaned up some (what I thought was unused) code......... :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:09 am 

I just compared my 7 band multiband only (1 thread) it uses 9,1% CPU, and without "Dynamic Speed" it uses 3.9% CPU (again reported by ST). So almost 2/3 of multiband CPU usage is used by that filter only. Both are same peek mode jsut this thing On and off.

Checked, Wasapi broken on input.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:18 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I just compared my 7 band multiband only (1 thread) it uses 9,1% CPU, and without "Dynamic Speed" it uses 3.9% CPU (again reported by ST). So almost 2/3 of multiband CPU usage is used by that filter only. Both are same peek mode jsut this thing On and off.

Ok, I hoped you would say that (Wasapi on input). I think I have restored my old code. Build is running now, I'll post it here tomorrow morning. It should be uploaded automatically tonight as BETA045, in about 2 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:23 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, I hoped you would say that (Wasapi on input). I think I have restored my old code. Build is running now, I'll post it here tomorrow morning. It should be uploaded automatically tonight as BETA045, in about 2 hours.
Will check tomorrow after i check my new 2kW electric bike unlocked to 3kW :)
edit: Beta045 - Wasapi is ok again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

BETA045 is posted.

I have just tried to fix the Input 2 resampling issue, but that's more tricky than I thought. So, I'm going to release this version (if no new bugs are reported), and work on that fix later (starting tomorrow) - it may take a few days though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:35 pm 

Quote:
BETA045 is posted.

I have just tried to fix the Input 2 resampling issue, but that's more tricky than I thought. So, I'm going to release this version (if no new bugs are reported), and work on that fix later (starting tomorrow) - it may take a few days though.
in my scenario, all input and output built-in sound cards (Realtek) on my laptop and the HDMI device (Samsung) the laptop is connected to is 16Bit 48Khz native.
Stereo Tool is using WASPI for input, input 2 and normal output and the I/O sample rate setting is also set to 48Khz.
is it safe to say the next beta will be 046 and not 041 ?
unless you are finalizing for release.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next