All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 510 Next
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 9.70
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:11 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Since 9.70 when sourcing audio from VAC via WASAPI sounds weird. KernelStreaming and MME is ok. With 9.64, WASAPI was fine. Any idea? Something I need to change perhaps in VAC?
Sinking audio to another VAC using WASAPI is fine.
Are you sure it was 9.64? 9.64 and 9.70 are identical (I released it at 9.64 first and the next day I replaced the binaries because 9.64 was the wrong version number). Or did you mean 9.63?

Can you describe what "weird" means? I haven't noticed anything strange with VAC. But the I/O library is updated in 9.64/9.70 (in fact, according to their change log, they fixed several bugs with WASAPI).
Oh yes, typo. Was the previous release.

I uploaded a sample:
https://nextcloud.hldigital.de/s/RQaD8BEkbjcXtSf
(URL expires in 3 weeks from now)

It's some weirdness with sample rates and the synchronize input to output plays havoc, ie. goes to "max" values. No change was made except the new ST version.
if youre using windows, go to the sound card setting in windows for the input you are using for Stereotool and turn off "Give exclusive mode applications priority" (see photo attachment).

Attachments:
snd-adv.jpg
snd-adv.jpg [ 17.97 KiB | Viewed 3101 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:29 pm 

Tried your suggestion, restarted both stereotool and the player that plays into the VAC but problem persists.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:55 pm 

I have now updated VAC to 4.65, and it gets even worse. Now audio stutters with *any* access mode. Sounds a bit different, as if samples are lost. UFlows-Counter in VAC control panel is counting upwards on the output device of Stereotool.

I had to revert back to 9.63 which works just fine straight away. Happy to help with screenshots or trying settings.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:55 pm 

After reading the last post, I went back to 9.63 and things are MUCH better. I'm using an all virtual setup (no sound card) to listen to music streamed over wifi. I've been doing it for years but lately it got unstable. At first I thought it was a Windows update that caused it, but I was able to replicate my setup on another computer without Stereo Tool and that was stable. I suspect Port Audio.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, based on all these replies: There are 2 changes in the I/O layer, one is the new PortAudio, the other is the settings with which I'm opening things. What I'll do is first revert those settings and run a build with the old settings. If that doesn't fix things, I'll revert to the old PortAudio, at least for testing. But there are several people who had issues with the old PortAudio and not with the new one, so that's not really a long-term solution.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:10 pm 

Quote:
Ok, based on all these replies: There are 2 changes in the I/O layer, one is the new PortAudio, the other is the settings with which I'm opening things. What I'll do is first revert those settings and run a build with the old settings. If that doesn't fix things, I'll revert to the old PortAudio, at least for testing. But there are several people who had issues with the old PortAudio and not with the new one, so that's not really a long-term solution.
Can you put both, so we can switch?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Can you put both, so we can switch?
I don't think that that's possible.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:26 pm 

Quote:
windows 10, 64bit, stereotool 64bit:
the issue with the new portaudio is when you "give exclusive mode applications priority" to the input of that specific soundcard (in my case, its stereo mix) using WASPI input on stereotool. MME input on stereotool works fine but introduces more latency.
this issue did not happen with the old portaudio.
all bit/samples on the soundcards and on stereotool is matched at 16Bit, 48Khz.
i can reproduce this issue and video record it if you wish.
currently the work-around for me, is to turn off "give exclusive mode applications priority" but leave "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" enabled and also to enable "listen to this device" on a not-used SPDIF output for "stereomix", then WASPI works perfectly on stereotool, otherwise it plays in "slow motion" (timing issue).
exclusive mode reduces the latency for stereotool when using WASPI on windows.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, let's try this:

https://www.stereotool.com/download/ste ... 71-001.exe - 32 bit stand alone, new PortAudio, old timings
https://www.stereotool.com/download/ste ... 71-001.exe - 64 bit stand alone, new PortAudio, old timings

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:51 pm 

Quote:
Ok, let's try this:

https://www.stereotool.com/download/ste ... 71-001.exe - 32 bit stand alone, new PortAudio, old timings
https://www.stereotool.com/download/ste ... 71-001.exe - 64 bit stand alone, new PortAudio, old timings
ill record a video to demonstrate, just give me a little time as work and home life here is busy.
im also on eastern daylight time in america.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 510 Next