All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Stereo Tool 9.70
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Stereo Tool 9.70 is available!

Changes:
  • Updated I/O library (PortAudio) to latest version (fixes OS X 10.15 and recent Windows 10 update issues).
  • Mac: OS X Catalina and Big Sur: All OS X binaries are now signed and ask for the required permissions.
  • Advanced Clipper: Added new highs gap protection mode: frequency response is flatter, sounds warmer with fewer mid highs and more top highs.
  • Advanced Clipper: Added new ABDP bass/highs IMD protection mode: More mid-bass is allowed through.
  • Advanced Clipper: Improved ABDP highs IMD protection, less impact on highs.
  • Advanced Clipper: Added pre-clip option that prioritizes highs slightly more when other sounds (mids/lows) are really loud, to protect against IMD.
  • Advanced Clipper: Leif's Highs Gap Protection in Legacy mode didn't behave like older versions anymore. Restored version 8.54 behavior.
  • AGC: Gate response speed optimized when using RMS detection mode.
  • AGC: Made singleband linking mode work in both directions, and fixed a bug that caused it to sometimes not work before.
  • Compressors (analog mode): Gate response speed optimized when using RMS detection mode.
  • Increased Wasapi/MME/Kernel Streaming latency setting for stability. For low latency, you should use ASIO anyway.
  • Bypass mode now goes through the whole chain, but with everything (except Hard Limit) disabled. FM also keeps playing now.
  • Unused (disabled) settings with legacy values are reset to their new defaults.
  • Stereo Tool Enterprise: Starting another instance instead fires up the GUI of already running instance.
  • Stereo Tool Enterprise: Added Kantar support to Enterprise version.
  • Bug fix: Web interface: Made it resilient against crashes (it could die), added more connection handlers for STXtreme, just in case.
  • Reduced memory usage for plugins by 30 MB.
  • Updated Fast Fourier Transform for ARM builds (uses slightly less CPU), affects both Stereo Tool and MicroMPX.
  • Updated presets.
  • MicroMPX encoder: Version 4 is now the default.
  • MicroMPX decoder library: Added a function to get the stream version, to be warned about CPU load issues.
  • WatchCat: Fixed issue that caused beeps when used without a license, even without using features that require one.
  • WatchCat: Fixed issue that caused cancellation and closing to fail/hang sometimes.

https://www.stereotool.com/download/

Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 9.70
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:37 am 

Changes:

Is this version compatible with hardware box (MPX node)?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:41 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Changes:

Is this version compatible with hardware box (MPX node)?
Not yet (we're working on it), use Version 3 for now if you have an MPX Node.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:15 pm 

A great new release! :)

I have one more requirement here that it would be good if you could note. And it is about the following.

I use the "Advanced Clipper" very carefully in my presets, after Bojcha made me realize that you don't really need it in very lightweight presets. I am currently more concerned with detail work on the sound and not the loudness.

However, I have now noticed a problem. It's about the module "Multipath Stereo Phase Difference Remover". I would like to use this also in my preset. But now I have a problem with it, and it is placed "wrong" in the process chain (for my purpose). By default this hangs before the clipper and after the SB compressor for me. But I would need it now before the SB compressor, because this is currently also my clipper at the end. Say, it would be desirable to be able to move this module before the SB compressor as well. The best would be a dropdown box where you could choose where the module is placed in the process chain. Otherwise that gives namely with files with very extensive stereo some problems that the levels become louder, for example, and nevertheless over the sticks, because I do not use the Clipper at the end at all properly (only around extreme level peaks to catch).

Is surely not really elaborate for you, but would help me here very well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:32 pm 

Quote:

I have one more requirement here that it would be good if you could note. And it is about the following.

I use the "Advanced Clipper" very carefully in my presets, after Bojcha made me realize that you don't really need it in very lightweight presets. I am currently more concerned with detail work on the sound and not the loudness.

However, I have now noticed a problem. It's about the module "Multipath Stereo Phase Difference Remover". I would like to use this also in my preset. But now I have a problem with it, and it is placed "wrong" in the process chain (for my purpose). By default this hangs before the clipper and after the SB compressor for me. But I would need it now before the SB compressor, because this is currently also my clipper at the end. Say, it would be desirable to be able to move this module before the SB compressor as well. The best would be a dropdown box where you could choose where the module is placed in the process chain. Otherwise that gives namely with files with very extensive stereo some problems that the levels become louder, for example, and nevertheless over the sticks, because I do not use the Clipper at the end at all properly (only around extreme level peaks to catch).

That thing is designed for FM and it's at good place. Mono Bass in other hand is not at right place. But i see why it's there, to help that other filter to work easier.
I dont know what you like in that filter, but is 4 stereo enhancment filters capable of similar thing?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:06 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

That thing is designed for FM and it's at good place. Mono Bass in other hand is not at right place. But i see why it's there, to help that other filter to work easier.
I dont know what you like in that filter, but is 4 stereo enhancment filters capable of similar thing?
Even if it's specially designed for it, you can still ask if it can be moved, right? From my point of view, this makes just as much sense for web radio and is just as important there, because at low bit rates there is also an improvement. By the way, this is explicitly activated in many webradio presets, and not only in the FM presets.

About the standard stereo effects: They don't help me at this point, because I want to reduce the stereo image so that the entire stream sounds better, even at lower bit rates. And only this module is of any use to me, because I have more control over the phases etc. here. And no, the standard Stereo Imagery effect does not help me here, I have tried it. With no other effect except this one I achieve this result.

A supplement to this perhaps. What the standard stereo effects all can't do is a comparable option like "No phase difference above" and "Normal phase difference below". This is a sticking point for me. The angle can indeed be limited with this, but these two missing options make it impossible to replace this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:05 pm 

This update solved a problem for me, but also added a problem.

I have StereoTool running on the Mac, where in the previous version it could no longer handle virtual sound cards. This is now possible again.
But, StereoTool now does not communicate with my D&R Webstation, which works with USB audio. ST cannot open the sound card. This worked in the previous version.

How can we solve this? Both should work...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
This update solved a problem for me, but also added a problem.

I have StereoTool running on the Mac, where in the previous version it could no longer handle virtual sound cards. This is now possible again.
But, StereoTool now does not communicate with my D&R Webstation, which works with USB audio. ST cannot open the sound card. This worked in the previous version.

How can we solve this? Both should work...
Hi Larry,

Which OS X version are you using?

This could either be a rights problem, or a new issue in PortAudio. Do you know if other USB sound cards work?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:45 pm 

Quote:
Hi Larry,

Which OS X version are you using?

This could either be a rights problem, or a new issue in PortAudio. Do you know if other USB sound cards work?
I just remembered that I have two macs with different os versions. I'll check back to see if there is any difference in behavior.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:29 pm 

I never got any of the newer stuff work on my macs, so I ended up diggin out an old 2012 mini and put ehem huuu shhhh win 7 on it.... no delays no fuzz, just keeps working... weird. It even sounds decent.

My main mac runs Catalina, RadioLogic, direct to Airlite (via some leveling...secrets), out of Airlite to a rack of old NYC stuff, BBE, Prisms, Optimod... just fot my "air return", all to web goes via ST. Exclusively with no Qs asked :).

Regards,

MrDonT