All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 10 Next
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 9.70
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:44 pm 

with the adjustable sample block sizes for input/output, i was able to subtract additional double-digits in latency on the internal sound cards and fine-tune VAC as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:53 pm 

The plugin is great! No complaints about the quality. Everything about it is perfect. For some reason I haven't used it before. The only thing I've found is that it puts a lot of strain on the processor. Maybe I should clean up the computer a bit...

Sorry I wrote the last comment in Dutch...

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:38 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Buffer is not good with VAC now (MME), starting full, and stays there, sync cant fix it. Enabling Block size for input, and setting it at 960 samples (that should be ideal minimum for VAC).. It's ok again. Input Sync is too fast now.. lowering from 0.20% to 0.01. It's 'kinda' ok now. Buffer bar acts strange, constantly goes up and down, but sync numbers says all is good, audio also good. Enabling block size for output, stuttering everywhere.
KS not working also, Wasapi not working too.
So is this different from the previous beta? I had expected things to be the same with the override settings turned off...

I see what you mean with the buffer bar, that must be caused by having different sizes for input and output. So I guess it's indeed not the same as before then...

Yes, something is weird. I'm going to check what's wrong.
beta003 same as beta002, also it says it's beta002

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:23 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Buffer is not good with VAC now (MME), starting full, and stays there, sync cant fix it. Enabling Block size for input, and setting it at 960 samples (that should be ideal minimum for VAC).. It's ok again. Input Sync is too fast now.. lowering from 0.20% to 0.01. It's 'kinda' ok now. Buffer bar acts strange, constantly goes up and down, but sync numbers says all is good, audio also good. Enabling block size for output, stuttering everywhere.
So is this different from the previous beta? I had expected things to be the same with the override settings turned off...

I see what you mean with the buffer bar, that must be caused by having different sizes for input and output. So I guess it's indeed not the same as before then...

the file size is slightly larger by 260 bytes on B3 though im not sure what is different other than the small file size.
B2 - 17,330,967 bytes
B3 - 17,331,227 bytes

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes the nightly build failed, that's why I didn't post it here. Not sure why (the Intel compiler crashed...) I'm starting the 004 build now.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:54 pm 

I noticed that there is a problem with the buffers. At least in my situation...

Both Normal Out and FM out are switched on, but only the normal output has ASIO on.

When Stereotool starts up, both outputs follow the latency of the FM output. When i switch FM out off and back on again, then the ASIO latency works fine and FM latency also.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:57 pm 

Quote:
I noticed that there is a problem with the buffers. At least in my situation...

Both Normal Out and FM out are switched on, but only the normal output has ASIO on.

When Stereotool starts up, both outputs follow the latency of the FM output. When i switch FM out off and back on again, then the ASIO latency works fine and FM latency also.
That's what we are waiting to be fixed from last beta.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:59 am 
Site Admin

I have a new ultra-fast build pc, but for some reason it regularly seem to kill the network in our office (the whole network is completely gone, as soon as I unplug my new pc everythng comes back within a few seconds, no idea yet what's going on). So, there is probably a new build ready now, but I can't access the pc to check. (If it's there, it's uploaded as BETA004 - I'll create a post tomorrow morning if the build did indeed succeed.)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:17 am 

Quote:
I have a new ultra-fast build pc, but for some reason it regularly seem to kill the network in our office (the whole network is completely gone, as soon as I unplug my new pc everythng comes back within a few seconds, no idea yet what's going on). So, there is probably a new build ready now, but I can't access the pc to check. (If it's there, it's uploaded as BETA004 - I'll create a post tomorrow morning if the build did indeed succeed.)
sounds like your PC is causing a "broadcast storm" on the LAN.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:54 am 
Site Admin

For feedback only

https://www.stereotool.com/download/ste ... 71-004.exe - 32 bit stand alone, new PortAudio, configurable block sizes
https://www.stereotool.com/download/ste ... 71-004.exe - 64 bit stand alone, new PortAudio, configurable block sizes

Same explanation as before:
For the main input, Normal output and FM Output, I have added a setting to overrule the standard (suggested by PortAudio) block sizes. You can change them in multiples of 16. Note that the block sizes are calculated based on 44.1/48 kHz sample rate, so if you're running at 192 kHz for example (eg. FM output), they are internally multiplied by 4.

For most devices, it looks like it doesn't matter which block size you choose - they all work, and they only (slightly) affect latency.

However, there are some devices that only work properly at very specific block sizes. My webcam microphone input for example only sounds good if it's running at a multiple of 320 samples. ANY other number causes glitches in both Wasapi and Kernel Streaming (PortAudio suggests 320 samples for Wasapi, so the default behavior was ok for Wasapi, but not for KS, where it suggested the very weird number of 2730 samples.)

So, so far I have seen devices that work well with any number, and some that require a multiple of 320. What I want to know now is if there are other devices that require a specific value.

So, I want to ask you to enable the new "Override block size" setting (for both input and outputs, not all at the same time) and try for which values your sound cards work, and report back (also if it doesn't matter and any value works). I hope that this will result in a limited number of values that we need to support - the current slider is very hard to use for cards where 95% of the possible values don't work.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 10 Next