All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 14 Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I got to same conclusion, 'test ON', 'bad' OFF. I was only listening/testing with 'pink noise' at various Clipper level tho.
Wait, "BAD" off?! Off is NOT legacy mode. What I proposed it having both ON (which is equal to before adding them) and remove the settings.

Which I think is also what you said before:
Quote:
HPF on brings less distortions on pink noise, ofc. And with that ON, (and ofc everyone will use HPF) i dont hear much difference with "test" ON or more distortions caused by bass. maybe even slighlty more bass. BAD has more bass too but also more/always distortions caused by bass.

Edit: I just read back through this thread and I see that I wasn't very clear - I meant that turning "BAD!" *off* would cause those things. But that seems to be the opposite of what you're saying. I'll run some tests, until now I only looked at the code and used reasoning to determine what would happen.

Edit 2: I did a quick test, and I heard what I expected: MUCH more highs IMD with BAD! turned off. It's not even a subtle difference. Am I missing something? Or did I misunderstand what you wrote? If not, can you send me audio + preset which shows this?

Edit 3: I found that I get the cleanest highs when the first frequency is set to 100 Hz instead of 80 (80, the default GUI-setting, is *just* slightly too low). For a not-insanely-steep filter the 2nd one would need to be set to at least 200 Hz, so I'll replace the values by 100/200 instead of reusing the settings in the GUI. The effect is pretty small, so no setting for this.

Recording, "BAD!" on vs off (both bass clipping thresholds at +6 dB):
https://soundcloud.com/hans-van-zutphen/bad-on-bad-off

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:08 pm 

I was playing around with Low Level Boost and I was greeted with this error. The software and low boost filter continued to function.

Sadly, I don't remember what I did before the error other than the conditions: filter off> changed unknown setting> filter on> error.

Stand Alone 964 beta 009 x64, Win10.
Attachment:
STb964_009-lowboost-01.png
STb964_009-lowboost-01.png [ 12.4 KiB | Viewed 4988 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:28 pm 

Hi,

I found a minor bug. The Basstardizer still has a toggle in the web interface even though I thought the feature has been removed a long time ago. Sometimes, when the toggle is on, the quick adjust section has a Basstizer slider. The slider sometimes disappears though.

I cannot find any other options for Basstardizer in the menu under bass settings. Did you forget to remove the toggle and the slider, which appear to still work?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:35 pm 

Tested again, "test" ON, and "bad" OFF, that's where 'bug' comes from, 'bad'.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi,

I found a minor bug. The Basstardizer still has a toggle in the web interface even though I thought the feature has been removed a long time ago. Sometimes, when the toggle is on, the quick adjust section has a Basstizer slider. The slider sometimes disappears though.

I cannot find any other options for Basstardizer in the menu under bass settings. Did you forget to remove the toggle and the slider, which appear to still work?
Basstardizer is not removed but hidden - but if it is turned on then it's not hidden. This depends on the "Show deprecated settings" setting under Configuration. Basically, if a setting that we basically think is bad now is set to the wrong (old default instead of new default) value, then we show it, otherwise we hide it. Unless you check "Show deprecated settings", then it's always shown.

I hope this was somewhat clear...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
From having Bad off I assume?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:01 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
No, when it's off freq sliders don't bug anymore, and less distortions because bass when bass clipper is doing nothing. Also when bad is off, more highs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, when it's off freq sliders don't bug anymore, and less distortions because bass when bass clipper is doing nothing. Also when bad is off, more highs.
Ok, that's the complete opposite of what I see. Can you send me your settings and test audio?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:37 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, that's the complete opposite of what I see. Can you send me your settings and test audio?
sent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

sent.
Ok, issue confirmed. And I know the cause: "BAD!" was designed to improved IMD for bass tones, which is at least 95% of all the bass in music, and it works very well on that. But on random bass (bass noise, basically), it makes things slightly worse. (The improvements on bass tones is still much bigger than the detrimental effect on bass noise). I'll see what I can do to improve this, but even with this, you really should still keep it turned on for music.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 14 Next