All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1014 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I finaly updated from beta4 to beta7.

Finaly we have bypass for FM :) Nice.
New IMD bass killer is nice (quick test) less bass drop anyway. Shape is better, no more 30Hz pop-up abd 160Hz area way less reduced. Nice. I kinda found 77% nice start settings.

Currently i only don't know how to set highs/rest slider. Thing is that all tests says around 400% is best. However with more clipper it sounds 'empty', and around 250% it sound much better, fuller..
There's always a tradeoff between highs and the rest. Setting this value higher is good for the highs, but bad for the mids and lows. What you measure with noise or tones might not match what sounds best. Higher values cause bigger drops in the mids/bass when there are loud highs present. Which also means that the sound will get more "restless".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:58 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's nothing that *should* have changed between 004 and 007, so it has to be a bug in Stereo Tool. If you have the exact message and the .ini file I can look into it.
ok sending you ini in pm.
Ok, it reproduced here and I've fixed it. If you make the screen bigger (but that's hard when it crashes) it won't crash anymore. But the next build will be ok again.
O really, nice. I was preparing for WinXP instalation and journey to mountain.

My Highs/Rest 360% now. Not much less then 400 but noticable better trade off.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi Hans,

after debugging on another mac also with Catalina, it seams that Stereotool never asks for permission to use audio input/microphone.
That ends in a kAudio_ParamError with no reference number.

(The Console utility gives a deeper access to whats going on and are better to read than the massive scrolling "log show" command in Terminal.)
Code:
Requested application <private> has policy 0, associated category:DH1009 associated sites:(null) equivalent bundle identifiers:com.thimeo.www
Code:
{ID: com.thimeo.www, PID[40648], auid: 501, euid: 501, binary path: '/Applications/ThimeoStereoTool.app/Contents/MacOS/stereo_tool'} attempted to call TCCAccessRequest without the com.apple.private.tcc.manager.check-by-audit-token entitlement

:D

Take care and stay healthy,

regards

MrDonT
Stereo Tool should ask for microphone permission, and has done that for at least a year or so (I haven't looked back further). Did you get a popup like in this page, the first time you ran it?

https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... e_on_macos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
For some reason i found that bass reduces highs. Something in clipper. it's something that steep reduces highs form 4-5kHz and up. Also bass does not reduce almost nothing from 1 to 4kHz.

edit:
omg, i found huge bug in clipper, atleast i thing it's bug. 2nd bass clipper adjusted to default settings. When i set always clip bellow and dyn clip below to +6 Still all same, but when i set freqs to 0 everything works fine even sound is better and there is no reducing highs because bass. Those freq sliders should do nothing if "always clip bass below" and one under it is to 0 or +6. But they are doing something they should not do.
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't see it here. Tried this:
- RESET ALL, FM on (with RDS/Stereo), Advanced+Composite Clipper on, drive +12 dB
- Test file: Tone at 100 Hz, 1000 Hz, plus hiss above 4 kHz

With that, I see no difference in output between setting both bass thresholds to +6, and keeping them at +6 and setting the frequencies from 80/220 to 0/0.

If I set the levels to -18 dB, more highs and mids get through, and a lot less bass @ 100 Hz, but that makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:38 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
For some reason i found that bass reduces highs. Something in clipper. it's something that steep reduces highs form 4-5kHz and up. Also bass does not reduce almost nothing from 1 to 4kHz.

edit:
omg, i found huge bug in clipper, atleast i thing it's bug. 2nd bass clipper adjusted to default settings. When i set always clip bellow and dyn clip below to +6 Still all same, but when i set freqs to 0 everything works fine even sound is better and there is no reducing highs because bass. Those freq sliders should do nothing if "always clip bass below" and one under it is to 0 or +6. But they are doing something they should not do.
- RESET ALL, FM on (with RDS/Stereo), Advanced+Composite Clipper on, drive +12 dB

With that, I see no difference in output between setting both bass thresholds to +6, and keeping them at +6 and setting the frequencies from 80/220 to 0/0.

If I set the levels to -18 dB, more highs and mids get through, and a lot less bass @ 100 Hz, but that makes sense.
Was testing with pink noise.
So all default in clipper, 'always clip deep bass below" to 0 or +6, 'Dynamically reduce' also to 0 or +6. clipper around +10dB

And then when i set both freqs to 0 sound is cleaner and no distortions from noise.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

edit:

Was testing with pink noise.
So all default in clipper, 'always clip deep bass below" to 0 or +6, 'Dynamically reduce' also to 0 or +6. clipper around +10dB

And then when i set both freqs to 0 sound is cleaner and no distortions from noise.
Ah. Confirmed. That is not at all doing what I expected. I'll try to look into it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:43 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Hans,

after debugging on another mac also with Catalina, it seams that Stereotool never asks for permission to use audio input/microphone.

(The Console utility gives a deeper access to whats going on and are better to read than the massive scrolling "log show" command in Terminal.)
Code:
Requested application <private> has policy 0, associated category:DH1009 associated sites:(null) equivalent bundle identifiers:com.thimeo.www
Code:
{ID: com.thimeo.www, PID[40648], auid: 501, euid: 501, binary path: '/Applications/ThimeoStereoTool.app/Contents/MacOS/stereo_tool'} attempted to call TCCAccessRequest without the com.apple.private.tcc.manager.check-by-audit-token entitlement

regards

MrDonT
Stereo Tool should ask for microphone permission, and has done that for at least a year or so (I haven't looked back further). Did you get a popup like in this page, the first time you ran it?

No popups. On my main mac; the last one to ask for anything was 9.63 but that one didnt pass audio.
Last to ask for persmission and also pass audio was 9.62.
So I tried a clean install on another mac, same OS version, and no popup there either.

Both running macOS 10.15.7.

Did a reboot into an image of Sierra (10.12.6) and it plays perfectly there, so its in Catalina the problem is.

MrDonT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:46 pm 

Ehh, bypass should ignore Post Amplifier for HD.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Hans,

Code:
Code:

regards

MrDonT

No popups. On my main mac; the last one to ask for anything was 9.63 but that one didnt pass audio.
Last to ask for persmission and also pass audio was 9.62.
So I tried a clean install on another mac, same OS version, and no popup there either.

Both running macOS 10.15.7.

Did a reboot into an image of Sierra (10.12.6) and it plays perfectly there, so its in Catalina the problem is.

MrDonT
Temporary workaround: Start stereo_tool from the command line, bypassing the whole .app structure (so just go to the directory where Stereo Tool is installed and type ./stereo_tool). That way it DOES ask for microphone access. I don't yet know why it doesn't when you start it normally.

I have added an explicit request for microphone access, but based on the descriptions that shouldn't be needed. (Apple's documentation is absolutely horrible though, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is wrong).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Ehh, bypass should ignore Post Amplifier for HD.
Ah, I missed that one - Post Amp is done in a different location than the rest of the processing. Fixed.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1014 Next