All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 514 Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Yea but non-"Leif's gap" is also not ideal.
I am looking now at this bass protection, and i am thinking that is not needed at all since there is one in ABDP.
For overall and highs 'balance', i am also now looking in other settings, like 'highs clipping' in ABDP. That thing also on it's own shape. So best what i have now is..

- Bass protection OFF
- highs clipping +1.83
- Highs/Rest 480%
- highs vs Highest Highs 34%
- Above highs 2530Hz

But am i right..

o.. here is full FM preset for this beta 002..
StudioOne_v01.76-STv964b2.sts

Hans, can you test Clipper only from this preset - that graph?
Sure, here's the output (left and right channel are the two colors here):
Attachment:
Bojcha.png
Bojcha.png [ 26.11 KiB | Viewed 2902 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

O, between about 3000 and 4400 Hz, my new build adds about 0.1 dB (1 pixel in the graph) of loudness compared to the version that you're currently testing. The image here was with that new build.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:17 pm 

Idk what i am looking at now. This is different then erlier pics.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:08 am 

Please fix "Composite Clipper (FM)", when you turn up the "Extra Composite Clipper Drive" the "Streaming Output" and "Normal Output" (even if is set to "Separately Processed Streaming HD/DAb+ Output") the level goes up too. This is wrong, only must affect to FM Output.

Attachments:
Sin título.png
Sin título.png [ 17.48 KiB | Viewed 2873 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Idk what i am looking at now. This is different then erlier pics.
Those were for only the clipper. This new image is for a complete preset.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:01 pm 

Mac version is impossible to test due to a 404 :D

Have FUN

MrDonT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:55 pm 

Quote:
Please fix "Composite Clipper (FM)", when you turn up the "Extra Composite Clipper Drive" the "Streaming Output" and "Normal Output" (even if is set to "Separately Processed Streaming HD/DAb+ Output") the level goes up too. This is wrong, only must affect to FM Output.
oh, this is true. it affects all outputs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:48 am 

ok, i am still playing with this new highs filtering, beside that i touched probably every filter around it.
Discovered few things. Like "Highs Priority". That thing literaly kills bass even at 0.2% settings. Also i discovered that Composite almost not working for constant tones when RDS is disabled, and pilot ON. With RDS OFF, for example, 10kHz sine tone is down by 4%! (around 91% demodulated) with RDS it's 94%, However that is with "allow L-R asymmetry" at 3%, wich again i discovered is more than enough.
Back to highs, depending on how hard clipper is used, everything act differently. Sometimes mids are priority sometimes highs (mostly) and bass almost never. To make it work "for everything" every of those sliders need to be exactly tuned. Still cant make bass fully in line with mids for some reason.
Im little confused also about this "Leif's gap.." I feel that whole that filter should do all protections, however some stuff are missing but it still try to do that. There is Bass protection but no concrete clipper for that, or does not run any other filter that will tell bass what to do. We already have that in ABDP, and that's the reason why i said that Leif's gap bass protection can be OFF.
What in clipper is pushing bass down from around 220Hz and down, and why? Beside this "highs priority" thingy.. there is something more.
De-esser, can't turn it OFF, only to make it out of thresh, please make on/off button so it can be turned OFF.. completely. Even out of thresh i'm not sure is it 'still' do something.

Will do some more testing..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:07 am 

Quote:
Quote:
ok is that cooledit?
Audition, but that's basically the same thing.
:o Mind blown. I just checked out this retro DAW and man, I wish I had found Cool Edit 20 years ago. I'm practically just now developing a taste for audio and this could have put me on track to learning so much earlier. Nice to see that's what the screenshots of analysis stuff used in the documentation are from as well. I had always assumed it was some internal tool.

So, to be clear, Leif's Gap Protection is a Composite clipper exclusive feature, which is for FM only?

Secondly, how much latency has been added to KS/WASAPI/MME?
The plugin versions aren't affected by this?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Mac version is impossible to test due to a 404 :D

Have FUN

MrDonT
Apparently the files didn't get copied from the Mac to my pc which uploads everything. And the files for the 002 beta are already gone from it, I have built version 004 but I need to have physical access to the Mac to be able to sign them and create the installers. So, I'll have to check it tomorrow.

Quote:
ok, i am still playing with this new highs filtering, beside that i touched probably every filter around it.
Discovered few things. Like "Highs Priority". That thing literaly kills bass even at 0.2% settings.
0.2 dB I assume, for the setting under Distortion?
Quote:
Also i discovered that Composite almost not working for constant tones when RDS is disabled, and pilot ON. With RDS OFF, for example, 10kHz sine tone is down by 4%! (around 91% demodulated) with RDS it's 94%, However that is with "allow L-R asymmetry" at 3%, wich again i discovered is more than enough.
Composite clipping does nothing or nearly nothing for constant tones. That's to be expected. It only works for noise-like sounds. To a lesser extent that also applies to L-R Asymmetry. So, don't test this with tones.
Quote:
Back to highs, depending on how hard clipper is used, everything act differently. Sometimes mids are priority sometimes highs (mostly) and bass almost never. To make it work "for everything" every of those sliders need to be exactly tuned. Still cant make bass fully in line with mids for some reason.
I haven't touched everything, and there are settings that can somewhat control this (for example there's a setting that gives mids more priority). In general, the harder you start clipping the more effect everything gets, but the loudest frequencies will be affected most. The loudest frequencies are usually bass (because they are just loud) and highs (due to pre-emphasis).
Quote:
Im little confused also about this "Leif's gap.." I feel that whole that filter should do all protections, however some stuff are missing but it still try to do that. There is Bass protection but no concrete clipper for that, or does not run any other filter that will tell bass what to do. We already have that in ABDP, and that's the reason why i said that Leif's gap bass protection can be OFF.
True, but ABDP more generally limits bass below a specific level. Leif's gap bass protection kills bass when it affects (and if it does, would easily cause IMD) the highs. Having said that, I would suggest a frequency of 40 or at most 50 Hz there. Or maybe indeed turn it off completely.
Quote:
What in clipper is pushing bass down from around 220Hz and down, and why? Beside this "highs priority" thingy.. there is something more.
I assume this is with ABDP on? It could be several things, I need to look into it.
Quote:
De-esser, can't turn it OFF, only to make it out of thresh, please make on/off button so it can be turned OFF.. completely. Even out of thresh i'm not sure is it 'still' do something.
Check. Internally it's turned off at the highest setting, but that's not visible in the GUI.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 514 Next