All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
And the mac standalone is still 9.62 :)

MrDonT
Ow. I accidentally changed the name of the installer, so the page still points to the old installer. I've rename the installer to match the link, please try again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Oops. I had a + and - sign mixed up in a formula. Fixing that improves it quite a bit. Still a bump at 5800 Hz though, and the audio around 16 kHz is still a bit louder than it should be - but far less, and the highs spectrum look smoother now. I know what's causing the remaining high level > 16 kHz, so that's at least an easy fix.
Before and after image, white noise with extreme clipping levels (after de-emphasis). Blue is version 9.63, red is the new 9.64 BETA001.

The swapped + and - caused a sort of sawtooth shape in the spectrum...
Attachment:
963_vs_964BETA001.png
963_vs_964BETA001.png [ 90.67 KiB | Viewed 3608 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:27 pm 

9.63 Mac standalone has no audio input, also tried the 2 input but no go. (analog input, internal inputs via Loopback, USB interface)
mac mini, 10.15.7

MrDonT

edited to add info

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
9.63 Mac standalone has no audio input, also tried the 2 input but no go. (analog input, internal inputs via Loopback, USB interface)
mac mini, 10.15.7

MrDonT

edited to add info
Hm, that reproduces here too. Weird. It does list the sound card and it appears to be open, but no audio is running.

There is an update for the library that we're using for the I/O, so I'll try if that fixes it - but before I do that I have to run one more build with the existing version because we changed some code to make Wasapi inputs more resilient on systems with high CPU loads, and I need test results for those changes first.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:47 pm 

Quote:
963_vs_964BETA001.png
Looks way better!
However.. this 5kHz+ is actually directly caused by "Leif's highs gap protection" and it has nothing to do with this new filter fix.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
963_vs_964BETA001.png
Looks way better!
However.. this 5kHz+ is actually directly caused by "Leif's highs gap protection" and it has nothing to do with this new filter fix.
Yes, but I've smoothed that out a bit now as well. The initial filter is 2000 Hz wider (1000 in each direction). I'll run a build with this, if more smoothing is needed I think it needs to be done in a different way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:07 pm 

Not only that.. without "Leif's highs gap protection" whole band is much better. Even bass comes back again. That thing inside that filter pushes everything else down.

https://imgur.com/a/a2iyzTy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Not only that.. without "Leif's highs gap protection" whole band is much better. Even bass comes back again. That thing inside that filter pushes everything else down.

https://imgur.com/a/a2iyzTy
Hm, if I turn "Also protect bass" off there's not much difference, and I hear more highs with Leif's Highs Gap Protection enabled, and not much else change in the lows and mids. I think the bass protection must be set to 40 Hz or so, not higher. With higher "Highest vs lowest highs" settings it does start to push things down, but that should be less the case with the new build that's coming now.

Indeed, with the default settings (especially the way too high bass frequency) it does sound worse.

I hope this won't be the case anymore tomorrow (hard to test now because it's all running very slowly, so I can't run it at full speed). At the very least, some tweaking of settings will be needed.

Is your image based on something like white noise?

Even based on the last build, with white noise the non-Leif version looks better. It doesn't touch the lows and mids as much - there is a gap in the mid/highs between 3 and 6 kHz though. So... is the conclusion then that Leif's Gap Protection should just be removed? --> No. I just went back to the original version and that looks fine. Something broke since that version, apparently.

Cyan = without Leif's Gap Protection, purple is with. And in general, purple looks much better.

Attachment:
964_without_with.png
964_without_with.png [ 108.47 KiB | Viewed 3554 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

I think I know what's wrong. The filter frequencies are way off. By adjusting those, it gets closer to the old behavior, with the benefits of the new behavior. More tomorrow... I won't run a build tonight, this needs to be fixed first.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:31 pm 

Quote:
I think I know what's wrong. The filter frequencies are way off. By adjusting those, it gets closer to the old behavior, with the benefits of the new behavior. More tomorrow... I won't run a build tonight, this needs to be fixed first.
Between those two.. need to be somewhere in the middle :)

Yes pictures are pink noise into ST, with around 2dB gain reduction acording to Clipper bar (clipper only, abdp off, composite on, rds off) and De-Modulated with MPXTool - 50us.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next