All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1113 Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

BETA043 is posted.

The biggest change is in the clippers for FM (eg. Advanced Clipper and Composite Clipper).

Ever since we've added "Improved protection" under Advanced Clipper -> Highs, the mid-highs sound much more powerful and tighter (which is good). But the highest part of the highs (starting from about 10 kHz) suffered slightly from this change, it came out a few tenths of a dB softer than before. And the highest part of the highs is (in my opinion anyway) the nicest part of the highs. Boosting the top end in the stages prior to the clipper did not really help much - that added some overall level but did not really affect transients.

We have now added a new checkbox on this page, "Legacy highest vs lowest highs priority behavior". This is on if you're loading an existing preset. if you turn if OFF, a new highs protection mechanism is enabled which lets more of those highest highs through, at the cost of reducing all other frequencies a bit. How much it lets through is controlled by the (already existing) "Highest vs lowest highs priority" slider, but please note that this slider has a much bigger effect in the new mode than before. So you will probably need to lower the setting. Setting it higher lets more highs > 10 kHz through, at the cost of reducing everything else when those highs are loud. Soo too high settings can cause ducking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:54 pm 

Quote:
[*] Disable Bass Boost if True Bass is disabled
Does this mean Sub Bass Boost has found its dedicated home as part of True Bass? A little while back you mentioned you weren't certain if that's where it was going to stay.

Enabling True Bass to enable the Sub Bass Boost, after disabling both True Bass bands (now the way to use just the Boost without engaging the harmonic detection/generation algorithms--?), the Deep Bass Synthesis bar in Quick-Adjust Enhance becomes greyed-out, but still affects the boost. Should this still grey-out if the boost is still active?

I would often use just the boost without True Bass enabled in my low-intensity/small buffer gaming preset. Good to see this is still possible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:38 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
So is that how I should setup stereotool?
What kind of bass are you missing? If upper harmonics, try Immersive Bass. If lower harmonics try True Bass. If True Bass still isn't enough sub-bass, try the Sub Bass Boost (able to be seen on the left once you select the True Bass screen). If it's just that the bass doesn't seem as high relative to the highs, try adjusting the bass band to be relatively higher than the main band in the AGC. Or you can try the equalizer and draw in the bass levels you think you should be getting.

Then there's the Bass Clipper, which I don't really know how to work; nor do I know if it's part of the no-cost package, or requires the basic license.

A little more input as to KIND of bass that is lacking could help us figure out why you're not getting as much bass as you want.
I find it's mainly sub-bass I'm not trying to go overkill on it, but I'd like to get close to top-40 stations that have more bass/impact.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:41 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Hans, this may be a little off-topic but is there gonna be a new solution for more bass in stereotool? I find hardware processors beating out stereotool in having more bass.
If you're the same Antonio who has asked questions via WhatsApp, the problem is really your transmitter. Have you tested those hardware processors with your transmitter?
I have not tried hardware processors with my Transmitter. Also, that is me (the one on WhatsApp). If I can, I will contact a friend of mine and see if he can let me borrow an older omnia from him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Does this mean Sub Bass Boost has found its dedicated home as part of True Bass? A little while back you mentioned you weren't certain if that's where it was going to stay.

Enabling True Bass to enable the Sub Bass Boost, after disabling both True Bass bands (now the way to use just the Boost without engaging the harmonic detection/generation algorithms--?), the Deep Bass Synthesis bar in Quick-Adjust Enhance becomes greyed-out, but still affects the boost. Should this still grey-out if the boost is still active?

I would often use just the boost without True Bass enabled in my low-intensity/small buffer gaming preset. Good to see this is still possible.
Hm, let me look into that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
BETA043 is posted.

The biggest change is in the clippers for FM (eg. Advanced Clipper and Composite Clipper).

Ever since we've added "Improved protection" under Advanced Clipper -> Highs, the mid-highs sound much more powerful and tighter (which is good). But the highest part of the highs (starting from about 10 kHz) suffered slightly from this change, it came out a few tenths of a dB softer than before. And the highest part of the highs is (in my opinion anyway) the nicest part of the highs. Boosting the top end in the stages prior to the clipper did not really help much - that added some overall level but did not really affect transients.

We have now added a new checkbox on this page, "Legacy highest vs lowest highs priority behavior". This is on if you're loading an existing preset. if you turn if OFF, a new highs protection mechanism is enabled which lets more of those highest highs through, at the cost of reducing all other frequencies a bit. How much it lets through is controlled by the (already existing) "Highest vs lowest highs priority" slider, but please note that this slider has a much bigger effect in the new mode than before. So you will probably need to lower the setting. Setting it higher lets more highs > 10 kHz through, at the cost of reducing everything else when those highs are loud. Soo too high settings can cause ducking.
About this: The effect is *really* a lot stronger, so a value around 20% seems to be sane. Higher values will quickly start to affect the other sounds. It does seem to sound a bit fresher and nicer even at 20% though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:14 am 

I use WinAmp to try different settings prior to moving them to my streaming station. With BETA043 I can no longer enable True Bass for the WinAmp edition.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I use WinAmp to try different settings prior to moving them to my streaming station. With BETA043 I can no longer enable True Bass for the WinAmp edition.
I don't see any issues here. Can you tell me *exactly* what you are doing?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, here's how it works now: True Bass has 3 sub-features, True Bass 1, True Bass 2, Sub Bass Boost. As long as the main True Bass is enabled you can enable any of these 3, so you can also enable only Sub Bass Boost. The main reason to keep them together is that that way they move together in the chain if you decide to move them (SBB needs to be after TB1/TB2).

To clarity things I have put a copy of the Sub Bass Boost enable checkbox on the main True Bass page. The one thing that changed compared to earlier builds is that if you disable the main True Bass setting, Sub Bass Boost also gets disabled.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hans, this may be a little off-topic but is there gonna be a new solution for more bass in stereotool? I find hardware processors beating out stereotool in having more bass.
If you're the same Antonio who has asked questions via WhatsApp, the problem is really your transmitter. Have you tested those hardware processors with your transmitter?
I have not tried hardware processors with my Transmitter. Also, that is me (the one on WhatsApp). If I can, I will contact a friend of mine and see if he can let me borrow an older omnia from him.
If possible, try to borrow another transmitter instead. You wrote before that you have to raise RDS above 9% (the standard is 4.5%) to get a decent RDS signal out of is, and that you're getting big overshoots - so it's absolutely not surprising that you can't get decent bass out of it. Given how bad your RDS is, your stereo separation must be quite bad as well. The one other thing you could try is use the "Sound card calibration" options and measure and calibrate everything for both phase and level.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1113 Next