All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Stereo Tool 9.60
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:47 am 
Site Admin

Stereo Tool 9.60 is available!

Changes:
  • AGC: Added bands 3/4 (part of Advanced Dynamics license).
  • AGC: Added Sudden Dump Protection, speeds up release when level drops a lot. Increases maximum release speed, stops Release Hold and Windowing.
  • Analog compressors: Added Progressive Ratio (part of Advanced Dynamics license).
  • Auto EQ: Added "Go to center" for near-silence per band, avoids excessive boost of near-silent bands.
  • Multiband Compressor 1: Added "Go to target" when gating, with hold delay. Reduces excessive boost of bass and highs on voices, a.o..
  • True Bass: Added "Sub Bass Boost" subfilter with sidechain compressor to improve bass level and consistency.
  • AGC: Added Progressive Ratio (possibly useful for classical music; doesn't fully work with Sudden Jump Protection).
  • Multiband compressors: Added option for pre-emphasised compression.
  • Kantar: Split to a separate plugin DLL for easier validation of new versions.
  • Advanced Clipper: Added asymptotic mode. Makes step from not clipping to clipping less abrupt, but also causes some extra distortion.
  • RDS: ASCII remote access: Added DPSTEXT command that sends RT and PS text in one go and uses word wrap for PS.
  • RDS: ASCII remote access: Hardened to ignore unexpected characters (EOF's among others) in the data.
  • Advanced Clipper: Default settings: Changed frequencies for even harmonics from 1000/2000 Hz to 400/800 Hz to avoid issues in older presets.
  • Linux version: Jack behavior improved, names corrected (FM/normal output), latency reduced.
  • ARM version: Set a slightly higher minimum latency value.
  • GUI: Show a popup message if the sound card buffer filling gets too high or too low.
  • GUI: Streaming .dll's not found error message improved (clear message instead of a weird hexadecimal code).
  • GUI: Updated French translation.
  • Modern web interface: Fixed μ character display in modern webinterface.
  • XST/SST web interface: Added Quick Adjust settings to main page (which was empty before).
  • Bug fix: Modern web interface: Fixed horizontal scrolling issue.
  • Bug fix: RDS: Code was sending euro sign as an E, but the euro sign ASCII code in RDS is actually an à.
  • Bug fix: MicroMPX: ARM version: Previous (retracted) release (combined with Stereo Tool 9.52) was incompatible with all other versions.
  • Large code refactoring in I/O code to enable future improvements.
  • Added and updated presets.
  • SST/STX: Updated presets.
  • MicroMPX: GPS support for Single Frequency Networks (SFN's) now works fully, and on a lot more hardware:
  • MicroMPX: GPS: Added support for GLONASS, Galileo and Beidou satellites, besides just GPS.
  • MicroMPX decoder: Added measurement of sound card delay to handle differences on restarts (needed for HifiBerry on Pi, among others).
  • MicroMPX decoder: Added displays for NMEA timestamps, stream timestamps, 1PPS pulses, audio feedback measurement, current resampling factor, lock.
  • MicroMPX encoder: Added displays for NMEA timestamps, samples between NMEA timestamps, clock speed adjustment, lock.
  • MicroMPX decoder: Reduce maximum resampling value from 0.1% to 0.05% to fix potential RDS reception issue. Large clock speed offsets will now cause dropouts.
  • MicroMPX encoder: Restart GPS sync on sound card restart, also for plugin version in Stereo Tool.
  • MicroMPX decoder: Reduced CPU load by about 2%.
  • MicroMPX libraries: Add thread affinity settings.
  • PhoneBooster initial version released!

Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 9.60
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:45 am 

Great! Look forward to trying the new version.

Seems like the stereotool.com website is down though?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:05 am 

Im not sure that this multiband pre-emphasis should affects MB.
True bass cannot be saved in preset if sub bass boost is OFF.
Main web page not working atm.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I'll run a new build in 1-2 days to fix Sub Bass Boost - turns out it's being saved in the .sts file under the same name as the main Bass In Your Face setting, so they are always identical :( .

Multiband pre-emphasis is useful if you want to replicate the sound of processors that have the pre-emphasis in front of the multiband stage. It has some effects that cannot be perfectly replicated otherwise.

List of changes for 9.61:
  • Sub Bass Boost saved separately in STS file.
  • 64 bit version: Upto 64 cores can be used for affinity instead of 32. (Yes, we had people who ran into this issue). More than 64 requires a different solution.
  • SST/STX old Multiband was visible in top bar of web interface when MB1 was disabled.
  • MicroMPX decoder: Backup player now also has "badness of stream" over longer period measurement, that can also turn on the backup player and keep it on even if some packets arrive.

Post subject: Re: WatchCat for 9.6?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:37 pm 

Hello. Will WatchCat be brought up to 9.6x as well? I noticed the interface now more closely resembles the default ST skin (as well as Phone Booster?), however, the inner window background for Drag and Drop is white, whereas the watch folder section is gray (Win10 x64).

Also, when using WatchCat, I'm getting about -12db quieter on the output file than I would get when using the VST in a DAW. I admit it's been a version or two since I tried it, so I apologize if these are older issues.

Post subject: Re: WatchCat for 9.6?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hello. Will WatchCat be brought up to 9.6x as well? I noticed the interface now more closely resembles the default ST skin (as well as Phone Booster?), however, the inner window background for Drag and Drop is white, whereas the watch folder section is gray (Win10 x64).

Also, when using WatchCat, I'm getting about -12db quieter on the output file than I would get when using the VST in a DAW. I admit it's been a version or two since I tried it, so I apologize if these are older issues.
WatchCat is in the process of being rewritten now, so I don't have an update at this point (it's not yet ready). Coming soon though! The last version that we posted on the site (together with Stereo Tool 9.52 I think) was broken, so we've reverted to 9.50 there - you might have downloaded it before we reverted it. The GUI looks different indeed, but it wasn't finished yet and the development version accidentally ended up in my build environment.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:55 pm 

Ah, yeah that's what happened. I grabbed it from the old URL while the site was down earlier. Good to know it's still a focus project for the company. I'll wait patiently for the rewrite and continue using the plugin in the meantime. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:46 am 

If you load a preset from your PC with True Bass on Sub Bass Boost will also turn on

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:32 pm 

Will the BIMP be available in the .dll?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:07 pm 

I activated the web interface for the first time, is it normal that the goniometer and the graph of the azimuth correction are not seen in the stereo settings?