All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 9.50
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:03 am 

On the latest declipper, when loading a preset, the attenuation keeps resetting to -6.02db, while leaving the clipper untouched.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:16 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Apparently there is some issue with new version 9.50.
If no audio on input, meter on clipper shows huge activity.

Edit: it's happening on Dutch Chocolate Moose preset
Ok, I did some digging and it's apparently caused by Stokkemask. If you lower "Use area" to 98% it's gone. This has been there for a while, probably since the last Stokkemask improvement.

My guess is that this isn't audible but I'll have to run some tests to make sure. It does indicate that _something_ isn't working exactly as it should. But it also only seems to affect near-silence (the effect is the biggest at about -80 dB).

Lowering Use area to 98% definitely has no measurable effects on Stokkemask precision, so you can safely do that if you don't trust it.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
On the latest declipper, when loading a preset, the attenuation keeps resetting to -6.02db, while leaving the clipper untouched.
That should be ok? You want the level to be lowered because otherwise when the input is at 0 dB you'll immediately hit the clipper. It has always done this.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:41 am 

Quote:
That should be ok? You want the level to be lowered because otherwise when the input is at 0 dB you'll immediately hit the clipper. It has always done this.
Oh, sure, that makes sense. I did notice it before, but I forgot about it. I suppose most folks won't be running it into something else to handle the new peaks. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:12 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, sure, that makes sense. I did notice it before, but I forgot about it. I suppose most folks won't be running it into something else to handle the new peaks. Thanks!
Well even if you do, VST plugins are officially not allowed to output levels above 0 dB (although many applications won't have a problem with it if they do), and DSP plugins can't do it at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:25 am 

Quote:
Well even if you do, VST plugins are officially not allowed to output levels above 0 dB (although many applications won't have a problem with it if they do), and DSP plugins can't do it at all.
That's an interesting restriction. I always assumed it was bit depth that dictated that.

I just ran into this error while trying to adjust the Attenuation with ctrl and shift. Also Shift+adjust doesn't work on the Attenuation like it does in Stereo Tool for the clipper drives and such, either. However, the error doesn't crash the plugin or seem to affect anything once it occurs?

Attachments:
pd-attenuate-error.png
pd-attenuate-error.png [ 3.17 KiB | Viewed 5824 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
That's an interesting restriction. I always assumed it was bit depth that dictated that.

I just ran into this error while trying to adjust the Attenuation with ctrl and shift. Also Shift+adjust doesn't work on the Attenuation like it does in Stereo Tool for the clipper drives and such, either. However, the error doesn't crash the plugin or seem to affect anything once it occurs?
I've been unable to reproduce this, and what's worse, I need to change things in the settings to be able to use the values in the error message, but those changes change those values as well.. so we'll need another build and test for that. Just to make sure, is this the 32 bit or 64 bit VST?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:43 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I've been unable to reproduce this, and what's worse, I need to change things in the settings to be able to use the values in the error message, but those changes change those values as well.. so we'll need another build and test for that. Just to make sure, is this the 32 bit or 64 bit VST?
32-bit VST through BreakawayOne's host
edit: btw It's just Ctrl. Not Ctrl+Shift in case that's how it came off.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just to clarify, this only happens when you use CTRL? Or did it just happen once, in which case the CTRL may or may not have played a role in it?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:49 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Just to clarify, this only happens when you use CTRL? Or did it just happen once, in which case the CTRL may or may not have played a role in it?
CTRL definitely plays a role. I can manipulate the slider all day and nothing errors; and only once I press CTRL it occurs. And it occurs every time, once, until I restart the host. Is there like a log I can turn on or dig up for more verbose information?

edit: After more testing it also happens in Reaper with the 64 bit version. here is the error:
Attachment:
pd-attenuate-error-64.png
pd-attenuate-error-64.png [ 3.16 KiB | Viewed 5575 times ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next