All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 9.40
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:24 am 

Quote:

The CPU usage setting is probably the most interesting, if you set it to "Sane", heavy settings won't be so heavy anymore. This will for example lower the CPU usage of dynamic attack/release speeds in peak mode, or insane declipper or clipper settings.
Setting it to "Sane" also seems to increase the CPU usage further.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:42 am 

Why is Band2 in MB1 ignored for new HPF - or why is this not applyed for whole MB anyway..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:50 pm 

"AGC: Added dynamic attack/release speeds." MASSIVE :o improvement, especially impressive in the lower area together with "AGC: Added "Attack immediately" for tighter control and better consistency". Tested on Windows 10 Foobar and on Linux Debian 9 updated upgraded full digital in a Virtualbox test setup. I had not expected such a HUGE improvement on 9.37. As for the Linux jack version, for many years now we have to connect the "FM output"" to the streamer out, there is no signal on the normal output. This bug is in for a long time.

Digital (no audio cards) on Rivendell, Jack Audio Connection, Liquidsoap, Icecast and Stereotool 9.37 in Virtualbox.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:54 am 

I'm now getting this error just about constantly in the stand alone versions. It doesn't seem to matter which sound card I'm using, which protocol, or whether I'm using my Breakaway Pipeline virtual cable. Tried rebooting, 32/64 bit, changing sample rates, buffer sizes, affinities, priorities, uninstalled VM Banana, etc... and nothing seems to stop it. This is even happening on 9.38 betas, and 9.37.

This just started happening after the latest official release, but not immediately. I would say it was in the last week.

Could it be a Windows issue? Could it still be some issue with Breakaway pipeline, even though it's not being used?

Attachments:
st-timeout.png
st-timeout.png [ 6.94 KiB | Viewed 5504 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:15 am 

Quote:
I'm now getting this error just about constantly in the stand alone versions. It doesn't seem to matter which sound card I'm using, which protocol, or whether I'm using my Breakaway Pipeline virtual cable. Tried rebooting, 32/64 bit, changing sample rates, buffer sizes, affinities, priorities, uninstalled VM Banana, etc... and nothing seems to stop it. This is even happening on 9.38 betas, and 9.37.

This just started happening after the latest official release, but not immediately. I would say it was in the last week.

Could it be a Windows issue? Could it still be some issue with Breakaway pipeline, even though it's not being used?
Yes am seeing this too when ST is left operating for a while - say 8+ hours - but I also see more reports of buffer underflows on FM out that is going to the Breakaway pipeline also.
I have another test machine where this does not happen but instead of outputting to the Breakaway device I am outputting to a soundcard.
Running the current version of the BA pipeline, it has been repaired, uninstalled and reinstalled without any change.

Windows 10 64 Bit, ST Standalone v9.40 (I have tried an early v9.38 beta and see the same issue).
Currently running with FM Soundcard turned off to see what happens now.
Am running uMPX anyway and was using BA pipeline to monitor the MPX signal via on-pc apps...

Ross

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:03 am 

Quote:
Yes am seeing this too when ST is left operating for a while - say 8+ hours
This happens within the first 5 minutes for me, and continues every couple of minutes.

I should clarify, I'm on Win10-64bit Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

If this suddenly started happening and now also affects older versions of Stereo Tool that worked fine before, it can't be a Stereo Tool issue.

I don't know what is happening but I can tell you what the error means. Basically, we open a sound card (for input or output) and tell it to "run". Then that sound card will (in case of input) regularly give us a bit of audio or (output) ask for a piece of audio. This error message is shown when that doesn't happen for multiple seconds. There is no other clear error at that point (the sound card opened without issues).

I have seen this, not just in Stereo Tool but also in other programs, mainly with bad sound card drivers (where opening *should* have failed but didn't for example). But if it's happening with different inputs and outputs that doesn't really make sense. Have there been any Windows updates?

If it happens after running for +/- 8 hours I assume that for some reason the sound card stopped responding as well...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:34 am 

No, I had Windows Updates disabled after I saw a warning that the upcoming windows 19041 (version 2004) messes with virtual audio cables. But I'm definitely still on version 1909.

The only drivers that were updated were video card drivers, which have some sound drivers in them. However I don't use those devices.

Anyway, like you said, this likely isn't a version 9.4x issue. If I can find enough info to start a thread about it, I will.

edit: Okay, it seems to have resolved itself? Whatever was causing it seems to no longer be an issue. Sorry for the false alarm.

Thanks!

Last edited by MrKlorox on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:06 am 

Rollback after 48 hours to 9.37. The Audio broke and got lost or was repeated. VM running Debian 10 cores at 2,9 Ghz and 8 gig internal, about 12% cpu usage, lots of free mem. Events occured when Rivendell was rotating to the next record in RDArplay but also at random in the middle of a song.

Digital (no audio cards) on Rivendell, Jack Audio Connection, Liquidsoap, Icecast and Stereotool 9.37 in Virtualbox.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Rollback after 48 hours to 9.37. The Audio broke and got lost or was repeated. VM running Debian 10 cores at 2,9 Ghz and 8 gig internal, about 12% cpu usage, lots of free mem. Events occured when Rivendell was rotating to the next record in RDArplay but also at random in the middle of a song.
Could it be a CPU usage issue anyway? The fact that it mainly happened when Rivendell switched to a new song would point at that (since Stereo Tool doesn't know anything about that). What was the CPU load/"time spent in processing" that Stereo Tool reports under "CPU & Latency"? Dynamic speeds use more CPU.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next