All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 9.40
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:20 am 

Hi!

I want to try the latest raspberry pi version on Pi3 B+.

When I start, I got this error message:
Thimeo Stereo Tool 9.40 (for Linux with Jack) (C) Hans van Zutphen, 2001-2019
jack_client_new: deprecated
Segmentation fault

The last working version is:
stereo_tool_gui_jack_pi2_BETA932-024

Peppi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:22 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

Please use version 9.37 or that working beta for now. We are aware of the issue, it's solved and will be fixed in the next release or beta build. I will update the download page so it points to 9.37.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:46 am 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:53 am 

Quote:
Could it be a CPU usage issue anyway? The fact that it mainly happened when Rivendell switched to a new song would point at that (since Stereo Tool doesn't know anything about that). What was the CPU load/"time spent in processing" that Stereo Tool reports under "CPU & Latency"? Dynamic speeds use more CPU.
I hope this helps you: this Debian 8 setup we use for about 3-4 years now. For the VM we had to make 2 adjustments in /etc/systemd/system.conf , /etc/systemd/user.conf in both we set
DefaultLimitMEMLOCK=131072. This is for jackd that needs 82xxx for RT processing. Also we changed rtptio in /etc/security/limits.conf for the audio group to 99.

The system now runs on 9.37 flawless for 36-48 hours. So I now also think you are right. It's something in the new CPU setup. Stereotool reported under "CPU and Latency" about 50% on al threads, with no heavy processing ( I tested that before the rollbank) it was about 30-35. Hope this sets you on the right path Hans, succes!

Digital (no audio cards) on Rivendell, Jack Audio Connection, Liquidsoap, Icecast and Stereotool 9.37 in Virtualbox.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:12 pm 

For the next beta please fix:
1) The resample issue in "Streaming Output": when try to stream with icecast with ogg codec and FM trasmitter at the same time, sample rate at 192 kHz... the streaming is at 192 kHz too, it should be at the sample rate setting in the "streaming output" (resample).
2) When FM Transmitter (FM output) is used with "normal output" and/or "streaming output" at the same time the "extra composite clipper drive" level have effect over normal output and or streaming output, and only have to affect to FM Output. For example: if I up the extra composite clipper drive to 2 dB (max level) the level in normal output and streaming output its up too the same loudness.
3) In Noise Gate section all the bands are showing 0Hz

Request: Please add a stream URL (via VLC) option in Input #2 for backup use.

Stereotool is fantastic and awesome. Keep the good work.
Thanks to Hans and the team.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
For the next beta please fix:
1) The resample issue in "Streaming Output": when try to stream with icecast with ogg codec and FM trasmitter at the same time, sample rate at 192 kHz... the streaming is at 192 kHz too, it should be at the sample rate setting in the "streaming output" (resample).
2) When FM Transmitter (FM output) is used with "normal output" and/or "streaming output" at the same time the "extra composite clipper drive" level have effect over normal output and or streaming output, and only have to affect to FM Output. For example: if I up the extra composite clipper drive to 2 dB (max level) the level in normal output and streaming output its up too the same loudness.
3) In Noise Gate section all the bands are showing 0Hz

Request: Please add a stream URL (via VLC) option in Input #2 for backup use.

Stereotool is fantastic and awesome. Keep the good work.
Thanks to Hans and the team.
1) Do you mean that you've set the sample rate to 192? Then this makes perfect sense... If you want to run FM at 192 and the stream at 48, then select 48 as the sample rate; FM will automatically pick a higher sample rate. Note: This does not work with ASIO.
2) O. I need to figure out how to solve that, because just fixing it will affect the levels of stations that are using it.
3) Fixed

Request: Not that simple, but we are working on a new audio framework in which this should be much simpler.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:02 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Why is Band2 in MB1 ignored for new HPF - or why is this not applyed for whole MB anyway..
It's a side chain that only affects band 1, because it doesn't really make a lot of sense to set the HPF higher than the band 1/2 crossover.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:34 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Why is Band2 in MB1 ignored for new HPF - or why is this not applyed for whole MB anyway..
It's a side chain that only affects band 1, because it doesn't really make a lot of sense to set the HPF higher than the band 1/2 crossover.
Well.. my 2nd band is in that area, since i recently realized how to properly make 2 bass bands in MB. So now 2nd band is pretty in highpass area too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:42 am 

9.41b06 on server. Example links:

https://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp ... 41-006.exe
https://www.stereotool.com/download/ste ... 41-006.exe
https://www.stereotool.com/download/ste ... 41-006.exe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:53 pm 

Quote:
No, I had Windows Updates disabled after I saw a warning that the upcoming windows 19041 (version 2004) messes with virtual audio cables. But I'm definitely still on version 1909.

The only drivers that were updated were video card drivers, which have some sound drivers in them. However I don't use those devices.

Anyway, like you said, this likely isn't a version 9.4x issue. If I can find enough info to start a thread about it, I will.

edit: Okay, it seems to have resolved itself? Whatever was causing it seems to no longer be an issue. Sorry for the false alarm.

Thanks!
i had this issue awhile back and discovered the fix (for me) was to set the sound devices in windows that are being used, in the "recording tab" under "listen to this device" to a sound card that is not being used.
the example photo attachment shows the line input which is being used, ticked to "listen to this device" to the SPDIF output which isnt being used.
i have not investigated thoroughly but it appears to be a low-level passive power-saving algorithm placed on the device drivers from windows and its not configurable through windows.
also, dont forget to set the "app permissions" under windows settings to "allow desktop apps to access your microphone" for stereotool.

Attachments:
mmsys.jpg
mmsys.jpg [ 18.38 KiB | Viewed 4790 times ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next