All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:04 am 

Quote:
Quote:
BETA046 posted. Biggest change is that now not just constant speeds ("maximum release speed") but also the non-constant speeds ("release time") can be progressive.

If you turn the Progressive release checkbox on, release speeds will generally be lower, depending on where the compressor is at that point (the attenuation level). If it's at -6 dB it runs at half the normal speed. At -12 it runs at 75%, and -18 it runs at 87.5%, etc. At 0 dB it doesn't release at all so the top part of the release will be extremely slow.
this would be nice for AGC since the AGC is important.
Perhaps. I think most people want consistent behavior out of the AGC, rather than additional density when driven harder. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if at least one other AGC does get more dense when driven harder, so it might be useful for those trying to match the sound of another box.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:24 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
BETA046 posted. Biggest change is that now not just constant speeds ("maximum release speed") but also the non-constant speeds ("release time") can be progressive.

If you turn the Progressive release checkbox on, release speeds will generally be lower, depending on where the compressor is at that point (the attenuation level). If it's at -6 dB it runs at half the normal speed. At -12 it runs at 75%, and -18 it runs at 87.5%, etc. At 0 dB it doesn't release at all so the top part of the release will be extremely slow.
Hans, how is progressive release different from max dyn adjustment?
Do you prefer progressive release on?
From my perspective I had to lower release times but overall output was more consistent but not so "in your face".
If I may: Progressive release is a simpler effect with a different purpose. It causes the release speed to get faster as you get deeper into the compressor. Nothing more. This is an effect found in many broadcast processors, so it may prove useful.

Dynamic adjustment is something else entirely. That's a much more sophisticated concept that takes into account the dynamics present in material and will both attack *and* release faster, when the content warrants it. It can also make things slower. Dynamic adjustment also behaves the same regardless of how deep into compressor gain reduction you are.

In general, when enabling dynamic adjustment, you'll probably gravitate toward slower attack and release times since it can get faster when it needs to.

When enabling progressive release, you'll typically set the release time faster than you would really want to release in most circumstances, since the compressor won't hit that speed unless you max out the gain of the compressor.

Both can be used together, but I have not made any serious attempt to do so, yet. It would certainly create some interesting effects. Not sure if they'd be good together or not.

I hope this info helps you.
Wes: are you make public some preset that use these new features?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:26 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hans, how is progressive release different from max dyn adjustment?
Do you prefer progressive release on?
From my perspective I had to lower release times but overall output was more consistent but not so "in your face".
If I may: Progressive release is a simpler effect with a different purpose. It causes the release speed to get faster as you get deeper into the compressor. Nothing more. This is an effect found in many broadcast processors, so it may prove useful.

Dynamic adjustment is something else entirely. That's a much more sophisticated concept that takes into account the dynamics present in material and will both attack *and* release faster, when the content warrants it. It can also make things slower. Dynamic adjustment also behaves the same regardless of how deep into compressor gain reduction you are.

In general, when enabling dynamic adjustment, you'll probably gravitate toward slower attack and release times since it can get faster when it needs to.

When enabling progressive release, you'll typically set the release time faster than you would really want to release in most circumstances, since the compressor won't hit that speed unless you max out the gain of the compressor.

Both can be used together, but I have not made any serious attempt to do so, yet. It would certainly create some interesting effects. Not sure if they'd be good together or not.

I hope this info helps you.
Wes: are you make public some preset that use these new features?
Yes. My preset updates will be in the release and include both of these features (in different presets).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:21 am 
Site Admin

BETA047 is posted, with fixed progressive release (046 was different from 045, and now you can choose between different modes). Wes' presets aren't there yet because he still needs to update them to work with this new Progressive Release setting. But I expect them to be there in the next build, probably tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Minor display issue in declipper. Detilted window not working/updating. Image attached. Tested in Winamp DSP version.
Confirmed. Will look into it. I changed some things in the waveform drawing code so I guess I broke something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:16 pm 

Hello, Hans ;)

My translation is available for the 'release' version, if you want you can integrate it in your software, I have no visibility for the STX version (Hardware).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks!

Progressive mode turns out to be still broken. So I'm removing it for the coming release, and will have another look at it later. Progressive mode ONLY for constant speeds does still work, and will remain there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:33 pm 

Quote:
Thanks!

Progressive mode turns out to be still broken. So I'm removing it for the coming release, and will have another look at it later. Progressive mode ONLY for constant speeds does still work, and will remain there.
And what Progressive release should exectly do? I know one in other software, and this one in ST is not like it at all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:12 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

And what Progressive release should exectly do? I know one in other software, and this one in ST is not like it at all.
No, it's broken. For constant speeds it works - and releases faster if you're down deeper. For non-constant speeds it didn't do that, I don't know why, but it's wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:38 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

No, it's broken. For constant speeds it works - and releases faster if you're down deeper. For non-constant speeds it didn't do that, I don't know why, but it's wrong.
Ah ok, it should not work like that. There is that dynamic thing for that. PR should only make release wins over Attack with more threshold.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next