All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:57 pm 

Hello, Hans

I have a suggestion about the configuration file: stereo_tool.ini, why not split it into 5 parts (Configuration, I/O, The BIMP, Repair, Processing).

It would be more accessible to modify some sections without accidentally touching others.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:56 pm 

Thank you Hans for updating my translation. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:17 pm 

"Dynamic Speeds" in MB uses so much CPU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:30 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
BETA046 posted. Biggest change is that now not just constant speeds ("maximum release speed") but also the non-constant speeds ("release time") can be progressive.

If you turn the Progressive release checkbox on, release speeds will generally be lower, depending on where the compressor is at that point (the attenuation level). If it's at -6 dB it runs at half the normal speed. At -12 it runs at 75%, and -18 it runs at 87.5%, etc. At 0 dB it doesn't release at all so the top part of the release will be extremely slow.
Hans, how is progressive release different between max dyn adjustment?
Do you prefer progressive release on?
From my perspective I had to lower release times but overall output was more consistent but not so "in your face".
It's a completely different thing and it may be possible to combine them (not tested, but I see no reason why).

Dynamic attack/release changes the attack/release times based on the input signal. It makes the compressor do less, in a smart way. The goal is to move fast on dynamic content and slow on already very flat content, to not make it any flatter.

Progressive release releases faster if you're down deeper. This means that pushing the compressor harder makes the sound denser. Louder sounds come out more dense.

Progressive release in combination with constant speeds, which does not work as intended in BETA046 (047 is coming), is basically what an Orban does. In Stereo Tool, you can normally drive compressors harder and nothing changes in the sound - with progressive that's completely different. So it's an extra option to shape the sound.

The goal of dynamic attack/release is very different: Handle both short spikes and long non-dynamic sounds with as minimal as possible audible effects (go down fast on short spikes and move slowly on long loud sounds to not smash it).

I *think*, but more experimenting is needed, that dynamic speeds are mostly useful for the AGC. And progressive is probably not at all what you want in an AGC.

Edit: Ok that was the same answer twice, well, hopefully that also makes it twice as clear :)
With dynamic attack/release how is the target density determined from the input signal? Can the target density be adjusted since not everyone will desire the same density? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:12 pm 

The attack and release that you choose are still determining the basic amount of density that you want (among other controls we already had). Dyn speed allows the compressor to act more intelligently. Only attacking and releasing more quickly (you get to decide how much) when needed, and allowing the compressor to slow down when not needed.

The "Max dyn adjustment" control sets how dynamic it really is. 2.0 is a good number. You could go a little higher. 3.0 and higher will get difficult to manage. Going to less than two, the effect becomes much more subtle. At 1.01x it's hardly even engaged.

But in all cases, dynamic speeds are based on the user speeds. So you're still in control of how much density you get.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:12 am 

Quote:
The attack and release that you choose are still determining the basic amount of density that you want (among other controls we already had). Dyn speed allows the compressor to act more intelligently. Only attacking and releasing more quickly (you get to decide how much) when needed, and allowing the compressor to slow down when not needed.

The "Max dyn adjustment" control sets how dynamic it really is. 2.0 is a good number. You could go a little higher. 3.0 and higher will get difficult to manage. Going to less than two, the effect becomes much more subtle. At 1.01x it's hardly even engaged.

But in all cases, dynamic speeds are based on the user speeds. So you're still in control of how much density you get.
Thanks, since I prefer to compress more slowly than most, I was afraid it would always adjust everything faster. Is there any plan to meter the parameter so that we can see what is happening?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:08 am 

Something is really wrong with ST after v9.38 beta038. Cpu usage is not under control anymore. beta039 cannot work on 1 core anymore and beta038 works just fine.
Again, will "dynamic speeds" be optimized since that filter uses too much CPU?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Something is really wrong with ST after v9.38 beta038. Cpu usage is not under control anymore. beta039 cannot work on 1 core anymore and beta038 works just fine.
I've compared the final release build (9.40) against 9.37 and I don't see any difference in CPU usage - well, _maybe_ 9.40 uses 1% more, but it's a bit hard to see the exact numbers. Also, I've loaded an old preset and turned all "Dynamic" speeds on, and that also gave about a 1% increase in CPU usage.

What differences are you seeing?

Note: If you've configured it to use a specific core, that is now (by default) a "preferrerd" instead of "forced" core. Meaning that Windows can, if it needs to, move it somewhere else. I've done tests and this turned out to work much better, sometimes Windows starts some background tasks which are also running on a specific core with high priority, and in that case if we force things to run on that same core it needs to wait until the Windows task has finished. You can still force it to run on a specific core though, see the new "Forced" checkboxes under CPU & Latency. Not recommended though!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:14 am 
Site Admin

O, and I forgot to make a 9.40 release post. So here it is: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28052

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:56 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I've compared the final release build (9.40) against 9.37 and I don't see any difference in CPU usage - well, _maybe_ 9.40 uses 1% more, but it's a bit hard to see the exact numbers. Also, I've loaded an old preset and turned all "Dynamic" speeds on, and that also gave about a 1% increase in CPU usage.

What differences are you seeing?

Note: If you've configured it to use a specific core, that is now (by default) a "preferrerd" instead of "forced" core. Meaning that Windows can, if it needs to, move it somewhere else. I've done tests and this turned out to work much better, sometimes Windows starts some background tasks which are also running on a specific core with high priority, and in that case if we force things to run on that same core it needs to wait until the Windows task has finished. You can still force it to run on a specific core though, see the new "Forced" checkboxes under CPU & Latency. Not recommended though!
1. Try run beta 039 and above on 1 core. If you watch Task manager You will see windows spreads it to few other cores. "Forced" does not help, it uses core0, then after few second core4, then 6 then 8, and i set it all to core 15. Beta038, and older betas, are fine. Sure i will not use 1 core, but it is easier to see what's happening.

2. When i use "dynamic speeds" on my 7 MB bands, cpu load rises from 44% to ~68%, on any beta/release. I just found "Start Attack Immidiately" Also uses much CPU.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next