All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:22 am 

In V5.01 the first left slider is frozen !
:?:
http://www.stereotool.com/version_history.shtml
:?:
Hans, if an update is necessary, please more information inside this box which frequency each slider adjusts.
Like with so many other Stereo Tool sections: it is blind trial and error slider adjustment lottery.

No doubt, Hans, Bojcha and some other experts already know what every slider does.
But I (and some other greenhorns here) want to know it too, please.

Last edited by michi95 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:29 am 
Site Admin

Wow, odd colors!

I discovered that the 1st band of the noise gate was causing lots of bass artifacts - it created more artifacts than it removed noise. So the only thing I could do was to turn it off completely.

Because I merged most of the changes of version 5.10 BETA into version 5.00 to create version 5.01, I completely forgot to mention the noise gate change in the version history. I've just updated it - thanks for notifying me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:34 am 

Hans, I have edited my first post here.

Please, read it again !

I want to know what each slider does.
Thank You !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:36 am 

Hi Michi
I think you can figure out by turning on "DIFF"

Noise gate is multiband nose gate. Was 7 bands now 6 bands. So, you can choose what band you want to filter and amount of filtering.

I am not sure, i think that this 6-bands are same freqs as last six bands at multiband.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:08 am 

Quote:
I think you can figure out .....multiband noise gate.....you can choose what band you want to filter and amount of filtering.
Yes, I can figure it out. I have enough fantasy.

But:
Quote:
I am not sure, i think that this 6-bands are same freqs as last six bands at multiband.
That is the problem. You have to figure out what frequency band you adjust with your ears !

Talking about Multiband C/L section:
Thank God (thank Hans) the explicit frequency bands are written inside the main GUI of Stereo Tool.
But inside the Multiband sub-window there is no information written about frequency bands.
Ok, you can figure out what frequency band each slider adjusts.
But I do not understand why these frequency informations are not written inside the GUI sub-windows of Multiband, Noise Gate, ........?
Most of the sub-windows are too cryptic, especially multiband window and the two sliders in the middle of the right side ("STOP - Restricted Area For Audio Engineers Only !") :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:31 am 

Well i must agree for that two sliders, belive or not i don't know what this sliders do. I think nothing. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:41 am 

:( :o :? :lol:
I hope Hans knows what these two sliders do !?
:idea: Or maybe the reason, that there is no information written inside the GUI means, that even Hans does not know it ......:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:05 am 

I think I asked hands the same question about that slider when we were in chat .
but yes its better for it to be tuned off.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Adding frequency info is a good idea.

The rightmost sliders in the multiband window... Well actually I think I should remove them. Basically they can be used to lower the volume if the total multiband output gets too high. So it works a bit like a singleband compressor - except that the frequency bands that contribute most to the too loud sound get lowered more. But not using it (top slider to 100% basically disables the others) gives a more open sound.

This was useful before when Loudness wasn't working very well yet. Now I think it only hurts the sound quality. So (unless someone asks me to leave them there - the comments so far don't seem to point in that direction) I wil remove them in a next version.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:21 pm 

I don't see reason to leave this two sliders, except if someone still use 'limit output' under 100%.

Hans what you think about expander ?