All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 1729 Next
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 9.00
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
In both cases the noise is pulled up, not by Auto EQ but by the multiband.
Hans we checked this by loading 8.23 and it's settings (currently used) in Wavosaur Batch versus 9.01 with the same settings processed by Watchcat.

There is NO noise in Wavosaur results, but there IS bigly noise in the Watchcat results. It might very well be the compressor but it is only audible in 9.01 and was not in 8.23 using the same compressor settings (symmetrical setup in both cases), nor has this noise been audible in 7.84 's settings we used before 8.23 on live. This recording is one of our fixed tests.

Also I reported the latency issue at wavosaur's forum linking to this thread. I had some real problems understanding the issue here, but I now understand this is about every new record starting with the settings of the last processed vs default. But isn't this corrected in the blink of an eye by the ST software?
I heard a lot of noise too when I tested it here - it was there in the original, and - of course, given the settings - much worse in the processed version. Haven't tried 8.23 yet - should I just load the settings that you sent me earlier in 8.23?

Chances are that if you're testing in Wavosaur with 8.23 and 7.84, that the result completely depends on the song before it. If a new track starts, Auto EQ starts in the center - but if a previous song ended with not a lot of high, it will still be boosted a lot when the new track starts. And Auto EQ responds very slowly to changes - it can easily take 30 seconds or so before the effect is completely gone.

So about "in the blink of an eye": Depends. The multibands, maybe, especially if you're not using gating. The AGC is a very different story already. Auto EQ is extremely slow by design. That doesn't explain why you also hear the highs in WatchCat - but the other thing that definitely influences all this is the AGC. If the AGC was far down after the previous track, it can take long for it to get up. During that time, the multibands do less - so you also get less boost in the highs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Just compared 8.23 vs 9.02 latest beta.

Something is wrong, because the output should have been identical (after first loading your preset in 8.23 and then in 9.02 again) but it's not. There's a difference. But. If anything, the highs are boosted less, not more.

Then I loaded your preset again, and this time the highs are indeed a lot louder. So something in the preset that wasn't there in 8.23 is making them worse.

My internet connection is kinda shaky now, I'll look at it in more detail tomorrow.

Edit: Main difference is old vs new AGC. The new AGC has a startup level setting, try setting that around 12 dB. That fixes it. Auto EQ and Bass EQ have virtually no effect.

I still need to check what's different between 8.23 and 9.02.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:36 pm 

Quote:
Just compared 8.23 vs 9.02 latest beta.

Something is wrong, because the output should have been identical (after first loading your preset in 8.23 and then in 9.02 again) but it's not. There's a difference. But. If anything, the highs are boosted less, not more.

Then I loaded your preset again, and this time the highs are indeed a lot louder. So something in the preset that wasn't there in 8.23 is making them worse.

My internet connection is kinda shaky now, I'll look at it in more detail tomorrow.

Edit: Main difference is old vs new AGC. The new AGC has a startup level setting, try setting that around 12 dB. That fixes it. Auto EQ and Bass EQ have virtually no effect.

I still need to check what's different between 8.23 and 9.02.
I will post 8.23 settings in your DM in a minute,.

I did not expect it to take up to 30 secs although we did notice the Auto EQ meters didn't come up for some time when the music starts in foobar. Yesterday we realised in live streaming this will also be an issue, when a record ends and skips to the next over a jingle in RDAirplay it will go over the same procedure because settings are fixed to the previous song / jingle?

Digital (no audio cards) on Rivendell, Jack Audio Connection, Liquidsoap, Icecast and Stereotool 9.37 in Virtualbox.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pm 

Quote:
I did not expect it to take up to 30 secs although we did notice the Auto EQ meters didn't come up for some time when the music starts in foobar. Yesterday we realised in live streaming this will also be an issue, when a record ends and skips to the next over a jingle in RDAirplay it will go over the same procedure because settings are fixed to the previous song / jingle?
Of course this depends on your settings. Auto EQ is never "fixed" on a song, it adjusts constantly. "Abrubt change protection" allows it to move faster if the input changes drastically (e.g. the bass kicks in).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:37 pm 

I updated to beta 004 from an earlier v9. The limiter in MB2 seemed to get stuck. I'm attaching the STS.

Attachments:
2018-06-19 A Sped up MB1 release and turned up Relative non-FM loudness in the Advanced Clipper.sts [112.99 KiB]
Downloaded 223 times

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:50 pm 

@ dave@daveball.net
Strange your config file: the internal date is a previous version (Software version=9.00 BETA089), you should start again with the new version 9.02 BETA006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:58 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I updated to beta 004 from an earlier v9. The limiter in MB2 seemed to get stuck. I'm attaching the STS.
004 had a clipper issue in MB2 which could be a problem (leading to silence on the output) depending on what version you came from. That has been solved since. I never uploaded that fix though.... will do that soon! For now, go to MB2 settings, and move all the clipper levels to the maximum (under Multiband 2 -> Limitiing -> Clip level).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Another issue with Linux-Jack 32 bit build: One of the threads (in htop) constantly uses more than 100% CPU on a Core i3, even with processing set to bypass. GUI setting unter CPU make no difference. Kernel is 3.16 (Ubuntu Studio 14.04)
I've just tested this here, but I don't see it. Jack itself uses a lot of CPU (regardless of Bypass mode or not), but Stereo Tool doesn't. The heaviest thread (with no processing running, so after a RESET -> ALL SETTINGS) uses 1.7% in htop. I'm testing in Ubuntu 12.04, but I don't think that that can make any difference (?).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:37 pm 

Quote:
...new version 9.02 BETA006
Eh? Did I miss something? Latest I see is 004.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:46 pm 

Latest I see is 007 from 4th of july. :P

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 1729 Next