All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1929 Next
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 9.00
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hmm, are the compressor windows already fixed or does that have low priority?
I can't just fix those without adding some legacy mode because it would break all existing presets. So, no, not fixed yet. I probably do need to fix them at some point though. For now, not high priority.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did not expect it to take up to 30 secs although we did notice the Auto EQ meters didn't come up for some time when the music starts in foobar. Yesterday we realised in live streaming this will also be an issue, when a record ends and skips to the next over a jingle in RDAirplay it will go over the same procedure because settings are fixed to the previous song / jingle?
Of course this depends on your settings. Auto EQ is never "fixed" on a song, it adjusts constantly. "Abrubt change protection" allows it to move faster if the input changes drastically (e.g. the bass kicks in).

I see Mathijs, that's what I was thinking when Hans brought up the issue in batch processing. I'm trying to figure out why it would be better to load default before processing a new song in batch since in both instances Auto EQ needs to adjust to the next song from some point started and that looks to me like a 50-50 chance default or last song being closer to the song coming up?
After a new start, everything starts in the middle. That's probably a lot better than starting wherever it left off after the previous song.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:24 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, are the compressor windows already fixed or does that have low priority?
I can't just fix those without adding some legacy mode because it would break all existing presets. So, no, not fixed yet. I probably do need to fix them at some point though. For now, not high priority.
That's theoretically correct. However because "only" the audio below the threshold is affected and most presets use tiny or no windows at all and the fix will only change the position within the window you maybe get away without any compensation.

Playing a high frequency signal after factory reset, i.e. no intentional audio processing:Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:42 pm 

Probably proper window will fix new AGC too, where is most important.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:33 pm 

For the Multiband Clipper, would it be possible to add a gain reduction meter to see where the clip levels actually, are and for clipping activity? It's difficult to tell by ears alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:17 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
For the Multiband Clipper, would it be possible to add a gain reduction meter to see where the clip levels actually, are and for clipping activity? It's difficult to tell by ears alone.
The current meter shows clipping and limiting combined.... I know, not optimal - but I need to change the design of the meters to add yet another color. If you're not limiting also, then the meters just show the amount of clipping action.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Probably proper window will fix new AGC too, where is most important.
It might indeed be a good idea to combine fixing this offset issue with making a window which doesn't completely stop any movement.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:27 am 

I have been testing 9.01 this weekend. Wow.

The sound is so much more natural, the new AGC and pre-AGC features are fantastic.

The ability to maintain punchy bass without it being lost in busy music is excellent.

A few adjustments in True Bass and AGC required, but otherwise this is the best StereoTool I have ever used.

Will finish testing using Normal Output then I will run on our FM platform.

BeDazzler.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm 

"For the Multiband Clipper, would it be possible to add a gain reduction meter to see where the clip levels actually, are and for clipping activity? It's difficult to tell by ears alone."

HVZ: "The current meter shows clipping and limiting combined.... I know, not optimal - but I need to change the design of the meters to add yet another color. If you're not limiting also, then the meters just show the amount of clipping action."

Hi Hans,
I looked over the MB Limiter/Clipping section, then following what you said about the clipper activity in the meters, I experimented by shutting off any subsequent processing so I could look for any results from the Clipper's output. I raised the Limiter threshold all the way up to disable any Limiter attenuation. Then I played around with the MB clipper drive by raising and lowering it to see if there were any visual changes in the metering. I could 'hear' the change in sound which had the similar effect of the MB output mix control, but the GR meters behaved the same throughout the general program material I had used. The only change I could see was in the final Output level, where it started leveling off as I lowered the clipping sliders. The peak limiter section is easy to follow, because the results of which are seen in the MB meters with the additional red bars flickering below the MB meters themselves all bundled together. By lowering the Limiter threshold you get more limiting, and by raising it, you get less. Pretty straightforward.

So this is where my confusion comes in... Is the MB Clipper structure similar to the Limiter structure; lower dB values means more clipping, and higher dB values means less clipping, or vice versa?
That is, am I adjusting the threshold level of the clipper, or the drive level going into the clipper? And, where does the point of clipping occur? Would that be relative to the MB output level?

I apologize for my ignorance where the answers might be staring me right in the face. I'm quite happy with the sound I have now, so I have no complaints whatsoever. But maybe the MB clipper could be designed with the same input stage as the Advanced Clipper - 0dB being the point of clipping whereby increasing the drive level will apply more attenuation.

I should note that, I'm only using MB1 in this scenario, where some others are using both MB1 and 2 together. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I prefer to have as few gain stages chained together as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
"For the Multiband Clipper, would it be possible to add a gain reduction meter to see where the clip levels actually, are and for clipping activity? It's difficult to tell by ears alone."

HVZ: "The current meter shows clipping and limiting combined.... I know, not optimal - but I need to change the design of the meters to add yet another color. If you're not limiting also, then the meters just show the amount of clipping action."

Hi Hans,
I looked over the MB Limiter/Clipping section, then following what you said about the clipper activity in the meters, I experimented by shutting off any subsequent processing so I could look for any results from the Clipper's output. I raised the Limiter threshold all the way up to disable any Limiter attenuation. Then I played around with the MB clipper drive by raising and lowering it to see if there were any visual changes in the metering. I could 'hear' the change in sound which had the similar effect of the MB output mix control, but the GR meters behaved the same throughout the general program material I had used. The only change I could see was in the final Output level, where it started leveling off as I lowered the clipping sliders. The peak limiter section is easy to follow, because the results of which are seen in the MB meters with the additional red bars flickering below the MB meters themselves all bundled together. By lowering the Limiter threshold you get more limiting, and by raising it, you get less. Pretty straightforward.

So this is where my confusion comes in... Is the MB Clipper structure similar to the Limiter structure; lower dB values means more clipping, and higher dB values means less clipping, or vice versa?
That is, am I adjusting the threshold level of the clipper, or the drive level going into the clipper? And, where does the point of clipping occur? Would that be relative to the MB output level?

I apologize for my ignorance where the answers might be staring me right in the face. I'm quite happy with the sound I have now, so I have no complaints whatsoever. But maybe the MB clipper could be designed with the same input stage as the Advanced Clipper - 0dB being the point of clipping whereby increasing the drive level will apply more attenuation.

I should note that, I'm only using MB1 in this scenario, where some others are using both MB1 and 2 together. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I prefer to have as few gain stages chained together as possible.
Hm. Maybe I have missed adding the display for MB1. The limiter and cliper levels behave exactly the same, if you use both at the same level, you only use limiting because that happens first. Limiting at -10 dB and clipping at -10 dB is basically the same thing, except that it doesn't sound the same. But the levels have the same meaning.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1929 Next