All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Stereo Tool 3.40 BETA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:00 am 
Site Admin

Now available on the download page.

Changes w.r.t. version 3.30:
- Completely rewritten the Loudness filter.
It now has far less artifacts in the sound AND reaches a higher loudness. Also, it can handle loud bass peaks much better, so far less clipping can be used in the multiband compressor, which in turn leads to a more punchy sound.
- Improved Composite Limiter: Now uses oversampling to 768 kHz to better avoid peaks in the MPX output signal (peaks should now stay below 1% of the signal strength).
- Updated the presets to take advantage of the improved processing. Also created a few new presets that sound a lot like already present presets, but use far less processing power.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:07 pm 

hello hans , thank you for your work ;)

But , i have problem with 3.40beta winamp version and standalone version.The sound cracks and pops all the time. I have noticed than it's only on high quality mode. My system is windows xp sp3 with a pentium dual core 1.8 ghz .

May be for the standalone version , problems with buffer.

Best regards

Garfield

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Then your PC is probably not fast enough to handle HQ mode with this version (especially the Loudness "++" option uses a lot of CPU power).

The quality difference between High and Normal quality is very low, so you can just use Normal quality.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:59 pm 

hans=> Not fast enough !!! oua ! :shock:

What processor for this version i need ?

My proccessor run perfect with breakaway fm (http://www.claessonedwards.com/forum/vi ... ?f=5&t=149) who consumes lot of cpu .

It's very strange because , i haven't problem with 3.30 version however with high quality mode and loudness++, may be your software(last version of stereo tool 3.40 beta) is not optimized :?:

Best regards

Garfield

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

The difference in audio quality between Normal and High quality mode is very very small. So it shouldn't be a problem to use Normal quality mode.

In High Quality mode, I have not made any compromises to the sound quality. In Normal quality mode, I've made some compromises - but such that there is very little difference in sound quality. In Low Quality mode, the sound quality suffers a lot.

Note: Especially the Loudness ++ setting consumes a lot of CPU power. ++ gives a volume boost of about 3 dB, which is considerable. However, when ++ is turned off you might be able to set the Loudness slider a bit highes to gain back 1 or 2 dB. But IMO, Normal quality with ++ on sounds better than High quality with ++ off and a higher Loudness value. (Note: This is caused mainly by the handling of loud high frequencies. I probably need to filter them out before entering the Loudness filter. After doing that, you should be able to reach higher volumes both with and without the ++ setting.)

Edit: I just performed another measurement, and the ++ setting uses almost the same amount of processing power as all the other filters combined (including the Loudness without ++). Without ++ at quality Normal the CPU usage of Stereo Tool and BFM does not differ much. I'll add a filter for loud high frequencies so you can also reach higher volumes without using ++. (Currently I'm using the Final Pre Limiter for that, but it turns out to be not strong enough).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

To get back on the previous post: I've done a few quick measurements with a filter that lowers the high frequencies when needed, and the result sounds clearly better (on top of that, I can move the Loudness slider up further and reach an even higher output volume). I'm working on another project right now, but I'll get back to this in a while and try to further improve the result.

I also have a few ideas to improve the CPU load (I can probably use a mix of Low and Normal/High quality processing without loosing any quality - that should give a huge performance boost and also reduce the latency).

Please keep an eye on this thread - I'll post here when I've finished any of the steps that I mentioned here.

The previous (3.30 and earlier) Loudness filter took months to develop, optimize and tweak. This is the first version that includes the new Loudness filter. It is already a lot better than the old filter, but I expect more improvements (performance and quality) to be possible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:39 am 
Site Admin

Small update: I've changed a few numbers in the processing a bit. Now high frequencies are handled better, and if there are a lot of high frequencies present the result sounds warmer.

(Re-)download the beta version from the download page if you want to have the updated version.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:09 pm 

Looking and sounding MUCH better, Hans! :)

Fake Stereo doesn't work.
I don't use it ... but someone might.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:44 am 
Site Admin

Here's another update (another number changed) - highs now sound clearer and brighter. (Previous versions could sometimes sound like low bitrate MP3s if there was a lot of high frequency content, that has been reduced greatly in this new version).

If your PC cannot handle the Loudness ++ setting, you should now be able to increase the Loudness slider higher than in previous versions to reach higher volumes without using ++. (Note: High Loudness values in combination with ++ still sound bad - albeit a bit less bad than before).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:19 am 
Site Admin

Minor update: Short peaks sometimes got "spread around" in time. That has been reduced a lot. As a side effect, any distortion is also decreased a bit. (And now I know how to reduce it a bit more... Will do that later)

Also, the Low Quality processing now uses the same settings that the normal quality processing uses - which results in a better sound quality when Quality is set to Low (it's still a lot worse than Normal or High quality).