All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 6271 Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:46 pm 

With all due respect - with sound processor like ST is, I'm missing out what usually should be the main feature in that kind of a product and these are the GOOD presets. Sure, you can tweak 200 settings, but overall if it doesn't sound good, eventually you will give up tweaking. With every breaktrough implementation it turns out it should be very simple, but it quickly gets more and more complicated and frustrated. In many cases I see trouble tweaking 50 settings in multiband, AGC, advanced clipper over and over again and I've been using ST for more than 10 years now. What I'm trying to say is that FM and HD are far more complicated than internet stream and therefore should be at least some good sounding preset updates and far less complicated settings under the hood. Just like in Orban, Omnia, Breakaway..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:51 pm 

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that FM and HD are far more complicated than internet stream and therefore should be at least some good sounding preset updates and far less complicated settings under the hood. Just like in Orban, Omnia, Breakaway..
That's what we're working on right now. For the older compressor modes there are already lots of excellent presets that have been tuned carefully over a long period of time. For those desiring stability, choosing one of those is a wise idea. But in this beta, we are working with a completely new technology, and things are still being ironed out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:07 am 

Quote:
Ok, found it. If the RMS size is set to 0, the peak mode data isn't filled in at all. It needs to be set at least to 1 (higher values for better behavior!). I've now fixed that in the code (so if you set it to 0 it will behave as if it's set to 1); also I've made the RMS size sliders enabled in peak mode, since they do have an effect (see the original blog post for why).
Ahhh!!! Is there a reason why I am unable to change RMS size on my side? I just reset the preset, selected the Adaptive compressor and I cannot change RMS.

Edit I'm small brain. This is a GUI bug. I can edit it but it just looks grayed out.

Quote:
But in this beta, we are working with a completely new technology, and things are still being ironed out.
Yee! and there is nothing wrong with that! expect anxiety for reporting bugs. lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:08 am 

These difficulties are GUI to software bugs, and not bugs in operation of the software, correct?

I think it is completely normal that a new compressor design would need to be listened to for a long time, and on-air.

drbusy- I agree that presets are important. Developing them takes time, listening across multiple markets and formats.
From my earlier comments, it is no surprise my preference is user adjustment capability of nearly every operating parameter that is available to the developers.

I like the approach of Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 (i.e Basic, Intermediate and Advanced) control.
It should be like an onion. You peel back layers and each layer brings more adjustments.
Many users will be quite happy using a factory preset or a factory preset that has been tweaked with Level 1 control.
Orban got this concept exactly right. Not sure if any patent or trademark restrictions apply.

I adore the complexity of Stereo Tool, my only complaint is labeling of adjustments with respect to the actual control action.

Thank you Hans and everyone else on the development and review team !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:11 am 

For those interested in trying out the new compressor mode: attached is my preset. It currently uses no AGC, just a huge drive into the multiband compressor. Be sure to increase the drive if it isn't pushing down almost constantly.
This preset can also be heard in action live on air here.

Attachments:
Klinker Media – Next Gen AC.sts [165.77 KiB]
Downloaded 162 times

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Posted BETA103. Most important change is that we added an extra slider (advanced under Dynamic compressor) which controls how fast the compressor responds to changes in the type of input audio. 1 is the current default speed; you can probably safely go to at least 2 and possibly higher. Higher values means that the compressor behaves more like you would expect, because it takes less long to start to behave differently on different types of content. Too high might sound less consistent, and much too high will just start to respond to each separate peak in the signal.

Also fixed peak mode if RMS window is set to 0, and gating if set to off. And you can drag dB-based sliders to the "off" position again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:43 am 

Quote:
For those interested in trying out the new compressor mode: attached is my preset. It currently uses no AGC, just a huge drive into the multiband compressor. Be sure to increase the drive if it isn't pushing down almost constantly.
Nice! I threw the MB1 into my bass preset and it fits pretty well. Had to turn up the preamp, but that's all it took. This individual module loading/saving is so handy. Gonna run this for a while and do some comparisons. Thanks!
Quote:
I like the approach of Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 (i.e Basic, Intermediate and Advanced) control.
It should be like an onion. You peel back layers and each layer brings more adjustments.
Many users will be quite happy using a factory preset or a factory preset that has been tweaked with Level 1 control.
Orban got this concept exactly right. Not sure if any patent or trademark restrictions apply.
The new GUI does away with hiding controls behind operation modes and instead tucks everything away in foldable cells that continue to expand with popovers and stuff. This keeps people from needing to swap operating modes to unhide controls. Before, I would mostly use Advanced, but would need a couple of controls in Extreme Tweaker every once in a while. This new approach is a good compromise and doesn't expose a lot of unnecessary controls without being able to hide them easily. There's also a setting to show depreciated controls, in case there doesn't seem to be a way to do what you want in the available controls.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:19 pm 

Hi had a license error "dynamic compressor used without licence" when i set the compressor to adaptive mode

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:42 pm 

Quote:
Hi had a license error "dynamic compressor used without licence" when i set the compressor to adaptive mode
The Adaptive compressor uses the Advanced Dynamics license. If you don't have this addon to your license, it won't work without beeps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:45 pm 

can it be true that a custom present that I have saved in version 9.92 cannot be loaded via "presents"? I don't see "select settings to load" when I want to load my present.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 6271 Next