All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 7.43
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
RELEASE CANDIDATE 744-002:
- Bug fix: AM frequency display is now hidden when no updates are calculated.
The AM frequency window won't show real time audio like the FM does? :( I was hoping to see how much (if any) spectrum pollution happened when using excessive clipping, turning the low pass filter up, etc.
It is displayed if you enable the (FM) AM sound card. I can make it show in other cases as well, but that's a bit more work. For now I just made sure it's not visible when it would otherwise be stuck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
And this beta must be 003 , not 002 . We have already 002
No, it's the same version (I posted the stand alone version when it was ready, the rest was still building).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Edit: Something seems to be wrong with the 64 bit stand alone version. It does not start at all.
This appears to be a compiler bug... Works fine in 32 bits, but also in 64 bits VST version, and in 64 bits stand alone version if I let it optimize a bit less. Debug versions are also fine.

I'm compiling it again now and hope to find something in the compiler logging...

Edit: Linux (32 bit) and Mac (64 bit) versions are also running fine. So it really looks like a compiler bug...
Edit #2: Nothing in the compiler logging. :( . Now trying to log some info around the place where it goes wrong.
Edit #3: No crash with extra logging :( :( - Trying with less logging now.
Edit #4: No crash with less logging and less optimization in this part of the code. Trying now with less optimization and no logging...
Edit #5: With less optimization it's ok - and I just noticed that the previous version HAD that. So... Fixed...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:24 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
RELEASE CANDIDATE 744-002:

Windows 32 bit:
Winamp DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 44-002.exe
For some time now (no, I haven't gone back through versions, but I can later if you need me to), when scrolling the preset list, CPU usage gets pegged and I get stuttering audio. Financials are still such that I did not get a new computer, so this is still the Athlon64 with XP. At any rate, might be GUI thread stuff or new CPU display. Dunno. Generic presets. 35-40% per Task Manager, until scrolling the list.

Is there an override for turning off the CPU display, or can an option for it to be disabled be added in?
Can you compare the version just before I added it with the first one that has it? I really don't think it has much effect - but I could be wrong. If I have to guess I would rather expect the limiter improvements to be expensive.
The problem does not exist in 7.43 beta 005, but does exist in beta 009. The limiter improvements were beta 010. You did not build a DSP version between 005 and 009, so that is as far as I can narrow it down.

To attempt to reproduce, load a preset, then open the preset menu and start scrolling around. It seems to happen more readily if you open generic presets, which gives the additional scroll, and you move down to the lower portion and then just move the mouse up and down over the preset list. On the newer versions that have the CPU display, the time spent in GUI goes up substantially, near or at max.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:45 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The problem does not exist in 7.43 beta 005, but does exist in beta 009.
Ok, clear. I think I know what I changed - although I hadn't expected a difference in performance. I made some changes in threading. Do you see any difference in CPU usage between these versions (when you're not using the GUI)?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Updated 64 bit stand alone version (I've updated the 32 bit version as well because I want both to use the same settings):
Windows 32 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 4-002A.exe
Windows 64 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 4-002A.exe

I see no difference in CPU usage but a reduction in file size and memory usage, so I will use these settings for all the versions from now on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:18 pm 

Yes, CPU usage is good and is like it should be (i see NO spikes in task manager for now) . Confirm that memory usage is reduced by a few MB , may be around 4-5.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:23 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
The problem does not exist in 7.43 beta 005, but does exist in beta 009.
Ok, clear. I think I know what I changed - although I hadn't expected a difference in performance. I made some changes in threading. Do you see any difference in CPU usage between these versions (when you're not using the GUI)?
No difference when not using the GUI.