All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: 4-band like Texar-Prism
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:11 pm 

Heres a quick preset that would mimich the classic Prism sound. 4-bands. Almost plan and simple…
Give the input a headroom about 6 db…

Did this one kinda quickly (10 min) for another proud StereoTool user... It does need some tweeks when it comes to levels inside ST. Will fix that later.

MrDonT

Attachments:
_MrDonTs_Prism_v.1.sts [48.61 KiB]
Downloaded 570 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:28 pm 

You really tested to have same crossovers as prism ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:08 pm 

Not completly yet. I did this from memory and somehow i know how my old setup sounded in the early 90s.
Thats one of the things included to some levels tuning that has to be done. Dont remember the exact crossovers prism used, godda dig out some old notes.

Was prepping a demo for another ST user when I got the idea to try this one…and I ended up l to like what I heard before I even got to tuning it further.

Edit:
Crossover frequencies for Texar Prism (according to the manual from 1988, block diagram) is 64Hz, 362Hz, 2040Hz and 11.7kHz. So I wasnt that far off. What I dont remember is how many octaves the band with is. Gentner Prism II FM (according to the manual from 1992) also uses 4 bands, but only documentation for crossover is 153Hz, 860Hz and 4900Hz where each band is 2 1/2 octave wide.The blockdiagram however says same crossover as Texar Prism.
I used the first version with a few modifications.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:12 am 

Any updates on this one MrDonT ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:51 pm 

Doin some tests with it. Might have an update monday or tuesday…

EDIT:
Went back to the drawingboard and re did everything.
The preset mimics the compression work done by Prism, what it dosnt mimic is the expansion. Thats because its is unique to the way Prism works. Well, everything is unique to how Prism works.

I did 3 versions of it; acually total redone, nothing in common with v1;
v1.1 Gentle AGC. A tiny Advanced on top to level the peaks a bit.
v.1.11 with a tad more AGC for more gain riding. Sounds dull to me. But hey…I like the hardcore NY sound that once was…
v.1.1-woutAGC is with same as 1.1 but out … AGC. Just the compression and a few other stuff.
The presents are not "brick wall" limited.

Since Prism almost never stood alone, some used levelers infront for gain riding, and most used 8100 on the end. Some even used a Dominator between Prism and 8100 to get it tighter.

What would be fun, is if someone got their hands on a working 8100 and could feed from ST and record the output from FM. Giving the 8100 like a 6db gain reduction. My old 8100 died…but I still have a XT2 thats been used maybe 20 minutes (hooked it up once, did'nt like it, took it down again).

Feed the preset so that you have a 6db headroom on the input meter (so that the limiting on ST input dont go into effect). The output is low. Crankit up to what you like, but look out for overshots… :) theres no hardlimit on the end.

(also I've had some problems with the highest freq getting reset when loading the preset. The band should read 64Hz, 362Hz, 2040Hz and 11.7 kHz.)

Oh yeah, have fun :)

MrDonT

Attachments:
_MrDonTs_Prism_v.1.1-woutAGC.sts [48.78 KiB]
Downloaded 531 times
_MrDonTs_Prism_v.1.11.sts [48.76 KiB]
Downloaded 537 times
_MrDonTs_Prism_v.1.1.sts [48.77 KiB]
Downloaded 580 times

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:34 pm 

You better can make a preset not only with the prisms, because it's not a standalone processor but also emulate the 8100 sound after the prisms.

Maybe you can emulate that typical fat and wide 80's Z100 sounds with it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:57 am 

matrix no more then 40-45%

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:33 pm 

What I would suggest is to search for an 8100 sounds like preset and see if you manage to combine these two. To to that in one instanse of ST is not possible. You could link a few computers with different ST settings or install a few versions on one computer and use virtual cable to get something close to the effect. But the easiest way that I would suggest is to shop at ebay… remember we can do "sounds like" presets but we can never make a complete duplicate, also since back then we used vinyl or carts as source…now its massive compressed remastered clipped to death tracks bought or downloaded from the web.

Prism was a stand alone one-channel/mono prosessor but was normaly used in pairs of two and together with other boxes. All depending on costs and what sound stationowners wanted.

MrDonT