All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Purity Control
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:22 am 

This is the result of some experimentation. Despite saying I was done, the "vibration" discussion got me tinkering around.

HypersonicV7-based. The biggest changes are in multiband, although there's also a change in bass boost, noise gate, and in Limiting & Loudness.

Points to ponder:

- Gating the AGC is required for smooth volume changes at lower target output levels, and is not actually detrimental to volume rising at higher target output levels.

- Tracks that are still a bit lacking in mids are those with very loud vocals, such as "The Pretender". Need to be able to switch the mids to limit instead of compress to work on addressing that.

- Tracks with very deep bass ("No Hands", "Hot Tottie") are still very difficult to reproduce accurately, but I think my presets get closer than some others do.

Attachments:
PurityControl.zip [4.07 KiB]
Downloaded 766 times

Post subject: Re: Purity Control
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 am 

I liked the setting. The sound is more natural, without over compression, with no pronounced treble. Thanks Brian, excellent. I prefer no equalizer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:54 pm 

Quote:
I liked the setting. The sound is more natural, without over compression, with no pronounced treble. Thanks Brian, excellent. I prefer no equalizer.
Well, there is equalization...

Anyway, yeah, that's the problem with the vocals... If they're loud, they get softened with the setting on compress, but compress is what you need for strong bass (soften it if it is too loud). That's why I keep asking for per-band limit/compress options.

Also, in case anyone hasn't figured it out, the image I posted was from the first season episode of "The X-Files", called "The Erlenmeyer Flask". That was the alien that was kept frozen to work on creating alien-human hybrids and a secret anti-colonization vaccine. The project was known as "Purity Control".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:26 am 

I like this set equalizer...

Attachments:
EQ.jpg
EQ.jpg [ 23.68 KiB | Viewed 9440 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:23 am 

I have an update to this that is almost complete, but I don't want to have people download a whole lot of files like what I did with HypersonicV7...

Basically, the update resolves almost all of the issue with the loud vocals getting softened. Fixing it was actually kind of simple when you think about it...

If you want to have the majority of the change, load the preset and then lower the multiband down speed for 880 Hz and "1.8K" (actually, 1760 Hz) all the way to 0. This keeps the volume up for those two bands as far as is allowed, and only has clipping when it is needed.

I made some other changes here and there with a couple of other bands and with some other areas outside of multiband, but I'm not quite done yet. Just wanted to update people on how removing the down speed takes care of most of the issue with vocals.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:34 am 

Quote:
Basically, the update resolves almost all of the issue with the loud vocals getting softened. Fixing it was actually kind of simple when you think about it...

If you want to have the majority of the change, load the preset and then lower the multiband down speed for 880 Hz and "1.8K" (actually, 1760 Hz) all the way to 0. This keeps the volume up for those two bands as far as is allowed, and only has clipping when it is needed.
LOL
Attachment:
Close2Zero.png
Close2Zero.png [ 10.14 KiB | Viewed 9398 times ]
:arrow:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4093

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:54 am 

I'm not sure that's a good thing to do if you've got the slider towards "Limit", but I haven't checked into that, so it might be ok. What setting to 0 does if you're set to "Compress" makes it as close to limiting as you can get, I think. I'm a bit concerned that it might not handle something where those bands are too loud, which would be addressed if the slider was on "Limit", because that would say that the volume can not go any higher than that point.

Basically, I'm finding that a lot of settings that I thought other people had researched and "should be fine for me too", really aren't all that I thought they were... First it was AGC, now multiband...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:22 am 

Quote:
What setting to 0 does if you're set to "Compress" makes it as close to limiting as you can get, I think.
I had the same idea ( :arrow: that preset uses 100 % compress characteristic in MB).
It is true that all my older presets (BASE etc.) use 100 % limit characteristic, but not that Dynamic Empire V2 preset !
Quote:
Though I still restrict percussion sounds (with the extra benefit of a HQ de-essing already before the LN De-esser) this preset sounds much better with (inexpensive) headphones than my BASE V1/V2 presets.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:10 am 

Well, it'd be great if Hans would mention whether or not future multiband designs will allow per-band control over how much compression or limiting (or the ratio of them, along with the Q factor), but... :shrug:

Until then, I continue to do little experiments, which is why I chose an X-Files themed name. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:07 pm 

In my radio statio sound is great, natural and dynamic with yout settig WITHOUT equilizer. Very natural