All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Smiler's Delight
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:46 am 

Just for the sheer lack of anything better to do, this is a beta version of "Smiler's Delight".

This preset has a smiley face EQ applied post-multiband. It is not the most extreme smiley, but it is a smiley... It is designed to give that grin, again and again...to a flat EQ post-Stereo Tool.

Note: If you already have EQ settings or increased bass or treble, this will likely be harsh sounding. It is being designed with a flat EQ (-3.0 dB attenuation) and bass and treble set at 50% each.

Anyway...it sounds relatively clean, but given I've spent all of 30 minutes tops on this so far, I wouldn't vouch for it... I also suspect this has a relatively high RMS level, but I haven't tested it.

Question to all: Should the soft limit values in multiband be reconfigured to ensure that the median values are roughly equivalent, or is that the general concept behind the venerable smiley, to make what comes out be approximating the equal loudness contour, thus I shouldn't change the multiband soft limits?

Edit: Preliminary testing does show that this has more RMS energy than the modification of Hypersonic that I'm working on. I don't know by exactly how much. Current guess is 1-2dB more. It should be noted that the objective of the modification I'm working on is a lower RMS than the current Hypersonic preset. It (Smiler's Delight) also has more squishing of the dynamic range, and the objective of Hypersonic V6 is increased dynamic range (both that and the lower RMS probably achieved through some reduction of bass).

Attachments:
File comment: Revision 4 (web site allows only 3 files to a single post, so I've removed Rev 3 as Rev 3 and Rev 4 are almost identical)

* Changed to 1990's style stereo boost instead of using width
* No other changes

Changes for Rev 3
* Decreased highs EQ levels

Smilers Delight Rev 4.rar [3.18 KiB]
Downloaded 435 times
File comment: Revision 2
Changes to multiband clipping.
Addition of Loudness to get to de-essing and bass clipping for a better controlled sound.

Smilers Delight Rev 2.rar [3.17 KiB]
Downloaded 385 times
Smilers Delight.rar [3.15 KiB]
Downloaded 428 times

Last edited by Brian on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Smiler's Delight
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:48 am 

Added revision 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:01 pm 

Well I did like your previous CrankIt family of presets. But, no offense, this preset has far too much treble (read 'dirty' highs). Definitely aimed at folks with greatly depleted listening ability for high frequency sounds.
Sounded good at the instant when I changed from a different preset to this one - but could not stand too long.
Has the grin but definitely not clean.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:05 pm 

Quote:
Well I did like your previous CrankIt family of presets. But, no offense, this preset has far too much treble (read 'dirty' highs). Definitely aimed at folks with greatly depleted listening ability for high frequency sounds.
Sounded good at the instant when I changed from a different preset to this one - but could not stand too long.
Has the grin but definitely not clean.
None taken. You are correct as far as the intended audience. Rev 2 was to decrease the highs, but I think to do that the amount of EQ boost needs to be dropped.

Added Rev 3.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:19 am 

Just to keep you moving ahead with your work - version 3 is a lot better. One thing I like is the tight control over the low end.
The highs no longer hurt as they used in the previous revision.

While I expected modern tracks to sound better than the retros using your preset - but, surprisingly, to me, it sounds the other way round. Certain styles of classical music sound really good - largely attributed to the low preamp value I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:19 pm 

Quote:
Just to keep you moving ahead with your work - version 3 is a lot better. One thing I like is the tight control over the low end.
Thanks. Although I didn't know that it was considered "tight control"... :shrug: It might be less boomy than Hypersonic, but that's because Hans' behind-the-scene "do not allow bands to be too far apart from each other in strength" kicks in. You can see a large amount of lighter coloring in the bars on the 40 Hz band.

As an aside, in case anyone didn't realize, the name of the preset was an homage of sorts to The Sugarhill Gang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwaW4cZNwRk

Oh, and "Love that Joker":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgCbegtw0JM

...and remember:

Never rub another man's rhubarb!

Last edited by Brian on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:48 pm 

Added Rev 4. Only change was using the 90's style stereo boost instead if the widening and phase, which is a bit beyond me... :oops:

This is likely the end of effort on this. Sounds pretty good now and gives more kick than Hypersonic in certain circumstances. Hypersonic is mainly a remastering preset now.