All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:34 pm 

Howdy!
Thought to keep you folks in loop about the preset I've been working on ever since 6.20 beta89 was spawned.
The initiative was primarily for trance, progressive and electronic music. However, I am getting good results(so far) for contemporary tracks from other genres as well.
Transparency is the key here.

A sample(encoded using VST version) for previewing the signature of the preset which I will post as the final release of 6.20 draws near. Meanwhile I will keep tweaking it as and when new features are incorporated in StereoTool.
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/88275375/file.html

Sample for tracks from other genres is due. Would upload them soon.

Feedback - good, bad or ugly always welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:39 am 

Pretty much in shape for all genres. Currently transcoding 23+ GB of my compilation. Sounds slightly better with beta 107.
A preview for something contemporary as opposed to electronic ones that I posted the previous instance:
http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/22780711/file.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:58 am 

Well pretty long weekend ahead for me (4 days is long...)! I intend to wind up things before office life strikes back.

The reference SonicSynth preset is done, however, the more aggressive version of the same is still very scratchy.
Some more refinements needed in multiband so that it renders the same signature as the reference one but without inducing any noticeable pumping/breathing.

On assistance side of things, I was wondering if someone could provide samples of 'difficult' sounds which, perhaps, are not rendered faithfully by any preset in StereoTool(either because of MB settings or anyother reason). Would be great if samples are from different genres.
Please be advised this preset is not intended for broadcast. I've compromised a great deal in loudness for transparency. Average loudness is -7ish dB RMS. However, it would be an excellent preset for web-streaming.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:42 pm 

I hope this preset release will not end like camclone's "The LOUDEST FM STATION ON THE Planet earth".

:arrow:
Release it !
(even if it's not perfect :arrow: then release it as 0.xy Beta preset)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:46 pm 

Quote:
I hope this preset release will not end like camclone's "The LOUDEST FM STATION ON THE Planet earth".
The thought did cross my mind! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:58 pm 

Well neither the release nor the sound is Camclonized!

All right, since I sense 6.20 is around the corner, I am posting a draft of SonicSynth. For those using VST(michi I know for sure), please make sure you load the preset twice (or thrice) so that 'Min Attack Speed near top' in AGC is at 4.00. This is a bug in ST VST plugin which shows up in pretty much every VST host (exception - Adobe Audition).

Also please be advised de-clipper is turned ON by default in this preset.
Attachment:
SonicSynth.zip [1.77 KiB]
Downloaded 510 times
Last tested with beta 117. That being said, I have not tried it with a 'variety' of tracks. The ones in my compilation(mostly New Age, Trance, little CHR) sound good.

Nonetheless, pour in your thoughts about scope for improvement if any.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:42 am 

Similar issues to michi's Interstellar Overdrive...which is too heavy in the mids to low highs. I think this is too heavy in the upper mids and low-mid highs. Lack of clipping in multiband and aggressive upspeed values have my ears hurting on cymbals / hi-hats. Toms are probably ok. Guitars in Metallica - One are too loud and/or harsh. Very similar to what I felt about michi's... Not sure if it is the fundamental guitar frequencies or the harmonics yet, but suspect harmonics (2-5k). Works for loud metal though, if that's the goal. Your bass is up higher than his was, but still missing some oomph...

Seems louder than -7 RMS that you were talking about earlier...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:50 am 

Quick mod of this:

- Turned off declipper (my system can't deal with it)
- Turned off oversampling (not needed for me and causes CPU load increase)

- Reduced Pre Amp slightly to x6.00
- Changed AGC peaks to 175%
- Reduced Stereo Boost
- Changed Bass Boost to the "relative to" setting.
- Increased HPF from 30 to 35 and lowered LPF to 18K
- Enabled clipping in multiband.
- Changed Steepness in multiband to 50%.
- Lowered the master clip in multiband to 0.50.
- Decreased Singleband limiter (kicks in lower).
- Decreased Loudness
- Added 25% dirty bass
- Moved clipping up to 10%
- Increased bass amplitude to 125%
- Enabled De-Esser at -10.46 dB
- Increased frequency range of clipping up to 400 from 350.
- Lowered bass clip to below 90%, sensitivity to 3, do not reduce below 68%
- Enabled Very Deep Bass Distortion protection.

There's still some distortion happening somewhere. I can hear it, but I haven't had a lot of time.

@baires - if you're reading, this is close to what I think you're wanting as well, but still a bit too much on the highs.

Attachments:
SonicSynth_BrianMod1.zip [3.37 KiB]
Downloaded 485 times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:39 am 

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your sharing your thoughts and devising your version of SonicSynth. Feel free to morph it to your taste. As stated earlier, my music compilation is not diverse and is very stereotyped.
I didn't yet have a chance to listen to your version. Would probably do so once I reach home.

Before my 'exile' begins, I would leave the SonicSynth template (something I began with initially) in good hands. Now that's the one which was around the -7dB mark, not the one that's been posted.
For getting the sound that Baires is looking for, try fast attack and release speeds with a ratio of 1:100. You would be very close (to the signature of 103.7 FM - WDBR).

One thing I realized listening to web streams of several other US FM stations, is that they apply insane levels of compression. I guess people tend to like the squashed sound more - like the ones emanating from laptop speakers but far too dense. I could be mistaken though.
In a space of 3 weeks, I'll have a chance to listen to FM stations around Redmond. Would be a thrill!

Observing your active involvment in this forum, you probably can rationalize the template. Would post it once I reach home. Feel free to come up with your mods, tuning it in accordance of new features Hans integrates in StereoTool overtime.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 am 

@ Brian

Especially since JesseG and Leif Claesson have been active in this forum I wonder if you have found the time to try Breakaway Live trial version and its presets !?
http://www.claessonedwards.com/forum/vi ... ?f=5&t=942
I use it as a (bypassed) host for Stereo Tool DSP version.

I would like to read what you think about it (and its different presets - if you find any useful preset at all ?).
Including the obsolete presets:
http://claessonedwards.com/forum/viewto ... view=print