All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:13 am 

Ok, here is my new preset:

Hawkeye T.'s Interstellar Overdrive 1.0

Edit - updated version 2.3.16K here:
:arrow:
viewtopic.php?p=11908#p11908

Just try it !

This is not another preset with artificial bass, highs and extreme stereo FXs.
This is a serious preset.

Attachments:
's Interstellar Overdrive 1.0.zip [3.1 KiB]
Downloaded 547 times

Last edited by michi95 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:00 am 

Quote:
This is a serious preset.

...but seriously :lol:

I know you said no "artificial bass", but I think it's cut out too much. Also, the vocal range is a bit too strong for my liking, but I guess it'd be good for tracks with strong electric guitars (metal, grunge, etc...), and indeed, on the tracks by Dope that I have, particularly "Die MF Die", the vocals are brought out more, but it also makes the guitars sound a bit off...possibly because the top end is scrunched too... Hmmm...

OK. Falling back to 60s/70s music, and it handles it better. "Baba O' Riley" (The Who), "Proud Mary" (CCR), and "Gimme Shelter" (The Rolling Stones) sound ok. "Shock the Monkey" (Peter Gabriel - early 80s stuff) is also ok.

Moving back to current, I think my preset handles a track like "Go To Sleep" (Eminem, Obie Trice, DMX - Cradle 2 The Grave OST), better...

So, is that the generation of music you primarily listen to, stuff that doesn't generally have deep and sustained bass?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:20 am 

Quote:
So, is that the generation of music you primarily listen to, stuff that doesn't generally have deep and sustained bass?
Yes, at home for sure.

Thank you Brian for your feedback.

You have to keep in mind that I use very unusual settings:
-> AGC target output - 12 dB RMS
-> Noise Gate (hardcore)
-> Multiband (extreme EQ)
-> Loudness x 1.01 ! (still valid for V2)

The focus was on older music:
- Noise reduction (more relevant when you use headphones !)
- Spectral enhancement
- To minimize the noticeable loudness (density) difference in comparison to new productions you can hear with almost every other preset for Stereo Tool

I try to find the best compromise for mixed playlists (with music from different decades).

Here is my new version (without your feedback it would not be here).
Try it Brian !
(should have much better bass and HF than 1.0 - for old and new tracks)

Especially compare it with other presets (from you and others) for tracks like 'Rolling Stones - Angie' (Intro !) or other oldies with headphones (the noise floor difference !).

Attachments:
's Interstellar Overdrive 2.0.zip [3.1 KiB]
Downloaded 460 times

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:40 am 

Quote:
Quote:
The focus was on older music:
Yeah...after trying several things, I figured it was...

As for v2, I think it's got too much bass now... lol... Maybe a blend of the two versions :?:

I'm heading for bed, but I'm going to tinker with it some tomorrow. I like how it's bringing out the 800 - 3k range a bit better than what I've worked on so far. With my latest (unpublished, so far), changing my X-Fi's EQ around 2k gives a better sound. I haven't been using the EQ in StereoTool, letting people change their EQ settings to customize what they want, either in ST or externally (after ST).

I'll make some changes tomorrow and upload what I think sounds good for what I think you're trying to do, then let you be the judge...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:42 am 

Quote:
I haven't been using the EQ in StereoTool, letting people change their EQ settings to customize what they want, either in ST or externally (after ST).
This is the traditional concept of an EQ.

But in Stereo Tool the (EQ) Before Multiband option leads to another (modern) concept called dynamic EQ to reach the highest grade of spectral consistency (track independant).

With the traditional EQ concept (after multiband) it is theoretically necessary (for best results) to adjust the EQ settings for every source individually (as you would do it during traditional recording/mastering sessions),
because it is clear that a little bit high EQ gain for some old tracks might be good, but for a modern (spectral already perfect) track it would ruin it (it would sound too harsh).

But with the (EQ) Before Multiband option the multiband takes care of this problem (compress/limit/clips every frequency band to the desired maximum level).
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sour ... gle+Search

The questions:
What is the best combination of EQ gain/compression/limitation/clipping/soft limit for every single frequency band ?
What RMS input level (from AGC) is the best to reach a balanced frequency spectrum for original (spectral) very different sources ?

The problem:
Every frequency band is audible not independant.
Besides neighbour band interaction (you can control with FFR and PA options in MB) there are also psycho-acoustic relations (masking effects based on the fact that the human hearing system is not like an exact machine).
When you change a high frequency band it could have an impact even for mid or low frequency regions (the subjective listening experience).

Many (or most ?) presets use this kind of a somehow (intelligent) dynamic EQ (e.g. Bojcha's Addiction, ....)
- but most with very gentle gain settings.
With my presets I try to use this dynamic EQ concept with maximal impact.
How much is usefull ?
Or how intelligent a dynamic EQ can be ?

Am I trying the impossible (because I use too extreme EQ gain settings) ?
Some might say.
But for me it is ok.
Final conclusion:
"Subjectivity is objective !"
This qoute is from a movie with Diane Keaton.
What is the title ?
Do not use google or any other magic search engine !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:40 am 

Quote:
Many (or most ?) presets use this kind of a somehow (intelligent) dynamic EQ (e.g. Bojcha's Addiction, ....)
- but most with very gentle gain settings.
With my presets I try to use this dynamic EQ concept with maximal impact.
How much is usefull ?
Or how intelligent a dynamic EQ can be ?
I've said before, at least I think I have, that what I'm doing is a derivative of that Addiction preset, just without the EQ settings and several other changes (different AGC, different multiband parameters / slightly different bands, and different loudness parameters).

I didn't get a chance to experiment so far. I haven't felt well today. I'll look at the "dynamic EQ" concept you mention. I have no issue with being told I'm "old skool" (not modern), because I am "old skool"... ;)

Edit: I've been tinkering with my own preset, and it does indeed sound better using the internal EQ. I'm finally able to bring out guitars and the top end of the vocal harmonics better. So, thanks, and I'll try working with your preset tomorrow...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:49 am 

Update to version

- improved low bass balance
(less booming for old music)

Attachments:
's Interstellar Overdrive 2.1.zip [3.1 KiB]
Downloaded 451 times

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 am 

Quote:
Update to version

- improved low bass balance
(less booming for old music)
That's what I found (too much boom in the room)...

I still haven't had time to try too much, but this is what I had done so far.

Attachments:
michimod3.rar [3 KiB]
Downloaded 432 times

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:04 pm 

A good track for you to listen to and see how the sound is being colored between 150 and 800 is:

Metallica - "One"

...especially the intro guitar, and then during the double-kick and fast drums and guitar midway in. Yes, things stand out nicely, especially vocals, but I think it colors guitars and kicks too much...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:34 pm 

Update to version

Attachments:
's Interstellar Overdrive 2.1.7K.zip [3.51 KiB]
Downloaded 486 times