All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:26 am 

For those who like and/or understand UK Official radio processing. I've been working on this for a while, it still needs some fine tuning but I think it's good enough to share. I want to make it clear that I don't broadcast over FM, DAB or full time stream so you may need to adjust the settings for that. I'm using mostly for my own mp3 and my private radio stream with friends once in a while.

The main thing is trying to tame voices (Celine & Whitney for example) and Smooth radio's processor is set up in such a way that it is very good at it and yet clear.

Since some of you may not like UK compression I wanted to share my experience of why I like it... A few years back I went on a 400 mile road trip to stay with a friend and since BBC R2 is one of only two national radio stations in the UK that I can get a FM reception the whole journey I had that on... LOUD. However when I got to my destination yes I was tired from driving 8-9hrs but I wasn't fatigued or had a headache even though I had it on loud the whole time, that is when I understood the purpose of radio processing because if had listened to the same music and talk without processing or processing set up incorrectly, I probably would've had an intense headache for hours after.
Of course we all have our own tastes to what specific sound characteristics strikes us so if you don't like it, sorry.

For those who do, I hope this helps...

Reviews much appreciated, please let me know what you think, thanks :)

Attachments:
Smooth Radio v_1 Attempt.sts [161.59 KiB]
Downloaded 593 times

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:38 pm 

Updated & Improved version for Streaming (AdJust accordingly)

Attachments:
Smooth Radio (UK) v_2.zip [127.53 KiB]
Downloaded 558 times

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:04 pm 

Amazing! Thank you! Been looking for a radio 6 music preset for ages!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:03 pm 

Forget all other versions! Sorry, but I'm pleased with this one. This is the FINAL one, it's as close as I can get it. The amount of bass Smooth uses is all there + some low end Radio 2 bass at the right amount as well. The higher freq. also tamed where they should be.

Please let me know what you think much appreciated!

:)

Attachments:
Smooth Radio (UK) FINAL.sts [175.33 KiB]
Downloaded 449 times

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:04 pm 

Loud Version.

Attachments:
Smooth Radio (LOUD).sts [175.34 KiB]
Downloaded 342 times

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:22 pm 

The UK FINAL version is amazing! Best preset I've found for stereo tool. So natural. Thanks so much for putting in the time and effort. Loud one great too, but I don't have a need for that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:33 am 

Quote:
The UK FINAL version is amazing! Best preset I've found for stereo tool. So natural. Thanks so much for putting in the time and effort. Loud one great too, but I don't have a need for that.
Thanks! I will of course try to improve it a bit more still a few tweaks that need dealt with but glad you like it, appreciated the review! :) :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:50 pm 

Had a listen.. It has potential.

It seems you are not using MB limiters or Clipping and only compression?

Just an observation, The Final clipper is way to active and as such I can hear some distortion.

keep working it and see what you can come up with :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:46 pm 

Quote:
Had a listen.. It has potential.

It seems you are not using MB limiters or Clipping and only compression?

Just an observation, The Final clipper is way to active and as such I can hear some distortion.

keep working it and see what you can come up with :)
Thanks man, yes i started with a preset & then changed it to suit but I didn't change all the settings, I wouldn't notice the distortion unless it was really bad as I listen to FM a lot so thanks for that. Some useful info I got from the BBC is an attack time of 10ms and release of 2800ms (8.6db/s) I think it applies more to agc but might be worth thinking about for compression or if it helps with anyone else's presets. I'm working on a Radio X & Smooth mix preset but I will continue to improve this one. Thanks for your review!