All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:57 pm 

Hi all,

I've tried every present in StereoTool and that I can find on this forum and the only sound I can find that actually makes music sound better is the Orban 8600 MX preset. Sometimes I think I've found something that's louder and sounds just as good, but then I A/B test against the 8600 and realise that the Orban preset is either just as loud or so much more natural sounding, or both.

It's the only present I have found that's you can't hear "working". Somehow it just matches what your ears do.

I'm listening to dance music mostly (sorry!). And it's just for listening and making mixes sound great, not for real radio.

I just wondered if anyone has had the same experience but then found a great preset – or tweaks to an existing preset – that trumped the 8600? I know it's an old preset and doesn't use loads of the new settings, that's why I find it odd that it's not yet been de-throned,

Cheers
Ben

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:18 pm 

I guess not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:32 am 

Quote:
Hi all,

I've tried every present in StereoTool and that I can find on this forum and the only sound I can find that actually makes music sound better is the Orban 8600 MX preset. Sometimes I think I've found something that's louder and sounds just as good, but then I A/B test against the 8600 and realise that the Orban preset is either just as loud or so much more natural sounding, or both.

It's the only present I have found that's you can't hear "working". Somehow it just matches what your ears do.

I'm listening to dance music mostly (sorry!). And it's just for listening and making mixes sound great, not for real radio.

I just wondered if anyone has had the same experience but then found a great preset – or tweaks to an existing preset – that trumped the 8600? I know it's an old preset and doesn't use loads of the new settings, that's why I find it odd that it's not yet been de-throned,

Cheers
Ben
Where can I find (download) that preset?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:54 pm 

Here you go!

Attachments:
Orban 8600 Impact MX.sts [7.51 KiB]
Downloaded 2035 times

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:03 pm 

An Orban 8600 with 10 bands? That's funny :D :D . There is not Orbans with 10 bands, this preset have 10 bands in a very old Multiband. I don't know how you use the presets, but this preset called "Orban 8600" is old, a lot of improves and new things happening... I think that are excellents presets, per example Studio One by Bojcha, or Analog Pleasure Deluxe by HVZ... but this is more a matter of personal taste. If you believe that is nothing better than this preset, it's ok

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:49 pm 

HI beneyto,

Maybe it's just my ears, but I honestly can hear all the other presets working. It's noticeable and detracts from the music (to a ridiculous degree with some presents! But not too badly with the ones you mention). Whereas the MX one is just transparent - you don't hear it working. You just hear the music, but with more impact and energy than the unprocessed. It just doesn't sound quite as forward and fat as some of the others, which is a shame.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:32 pm 

This preset sounds good, transparent, with lot of dynamics, like you say, it's ok for listening at home, but is not consistent enough for streaming or FM, specially from track to track, some tracks are heard too soft, some without enough bass or high. I think that the main problem is with the AGC... The lack of consistency it is especially notorious in FM Stereo. Very few stock presets are ok, and like you say: is a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:00 am 

Quote:
The preset should be renamed by who ever made it, just my opinion though. Orban Optimod units at least the latest digital models use 2 or 5 bands for processing. The 8600 MX StereoTool preset sounds good but to make it sound like an Optimod 8600 using the MX presets, you need to replicate the audio chain such as the multiband crossover frequencys, timings besides many other things which are very difficult and time consumming to do especially when you dont own a digital Optimod product. I might have a go at making a preset that replicates the audio chain of the 8600 using the MX presets since i did replicate a number of presets, even though i dont own a digital Optimod.
Agree with you. If you go to replicate an Orban preset, please replicate a 8700 preset 😀

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:51 pm 

It's simple, you cannot replicate any other processor with ST, not even close.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:54 pm 

Yes, I know that Bojcha. I mean to makea preset that "sound alike" the 8700.