All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:11 pm 

Thanks to the entire 'bypassing limiter' thing, I've eventually created a preset that bears the signature of BBC Radio 1. This is something for FM radio enthusiasts and home users alike. Created 3 variants depending upon intended usage or kind of source material. Though the default BBC Radio 1.sts is recommended and should satisfy most requirements. Has the signature tight, packed yet clean Omnia like sound that BBC Radio 1 boasts of.

Try it out and feel free to revert with what you think of this preset.

The recommended default preset:
Attachment:
File comment: BBC Radio 1
BBC Radio 1.zip [2.62 KiB]
Downloaded 2695 times
This is for those who want something little louder :
Attachment:
File comment: BBC Radio 1 Loud
BBC Radio 1 Loud.zip [2.62 KiB]
Downloaded 1809 times
This is for those who are insane and can't tell music from noise!
Attachment:
File comment: BBC Radio 1 Insane
BBC Radio 1 Insane.zip [2.63 KiB]
Downloaded 1356 times

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:21 am 
Site Admin

Nice! Can I add this one to the default presets? (And if so, do you have a name that doesn't mention an existing radio station :-) )

Note:
1. Have you also tested it for FM transmitters?
2. For the web radio preset, I want to turn pre-emphasis on at 10 or 15 us to avoid MP3 compression issues...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:53 am 

Quote:
Nice! Can I add this one to the default presets? (And if so, do you have a name that doesn't mention an existing radio station :-) )

Note:
1. Have you also tested it for FM transmitters?
2. For the web radio preset, I want to turn pre-emphasis on at 10 or 15 us to avoid MP3 compression issues...
Needless to ask. Glad you liked it. BTW, I haven't come up with any name per se. So if you have something in mind that holds relevance to this preset signature, please go ahead and coin it.

1. Well since I don't have an FM transmitter, so it's not been tested on one. Might need help of someone like Bojcha or alike who can give feedback on the on-air performance part.

2. As you deem fit Hans. Just a gentle reminder(for something which you would've noticed I guess): since the preset features unconventional (values not supported by ST GUI) values, please make changes from the original preset file itself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:25 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
2. As you deem fit Hans. Just a gentle reminder(for something which you would've noticed I guess): since the preset features unconventional (values not supported by ST GUI) values, please make changes from the original preset file itself.
I saw that. (Dirty Bass = 500%). Does this mean that you can't set the slider high enough (eg. an interface change?) I assumed that 400% would be enough but....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:01 am 

BBC Radio 1 setting - Nice. It's magic! Very smooth, like you say, without a lot of harshness. It reminds me of what WGN and WLS in Chicago sounded like in the late 1960's. Thanks for posting, Phoenix.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:58 am 

I tested the first...for my radio fm,I think there are too many low especially with the new songs,with music seventy and eighties a little better.
a bit unless lows would be perfect!.this is my opinion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:14 am 

Quote:
I saw that. (Dirty Bass = 500%). Does this mean that you can't set the slider high enough (eg. an interface change?) I assumed that 400% would be enough but....
Actually we can't! So a little change in the code to make provision for something upto, say 600%, would be like future proof.
Quote:
Very smooth, like you say, without a lot of harshness. It reminds me of what WGN and WLS in Chicago sounded like in the late 1960's
Thanks for testing the preset. More than the fact my settings pleased your ears, it's actually heartening to know that I still have company in the 'loudness wars' era. I tried as much as possible to make listening (for extended periods) fatigue free.
Quote:
I tested the first...for my radio fm,I think there are too many low especially with the new songs,with music seventy and eighties a little better
Thanks salvo for running my settings live on-air. Well as I mentioned in my previous post that the preset was not tested on an FM transmitter, so I donot know how it would behave in the broadcast chain. However, modern tracks(clipped mastered recordings) are definitely going to impart louder bass than the retro tracks. But the thing is, the settings are crafted so intricately that changing any of them is going to change the signature which is the reason I made the preset at the first place. Nonetheless, as a quick fix try to raise the High Pass Filter to 30Hz and change it to Automatic/Always Phase Linear(set to Never Phase Linear).

Has anyone else tested the preset on-air? Please let me or Hans know how it behaves in your broadcast chain. I have made every effort to make it sound soothing for all genres.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:10 am 

Good preset , i use it (for the moment :mrgreen: ) on my stream . (if you want listen the result ; http://78.129.196.63/radiopop.ogg.m3u )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:35 am 

Quote:
Good preset , i use it (for the moment :mrgreen: ) on my stream . (if you want listen the result ; http://78.129.196.63/radiopop.ogg.m3u )
Oh that's using my preset? Cool 8-)
Thanks for the trial run, garfield. Hope you receive good feedback from your listeners.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:36 am 

Check it.
Good preset. I recognized some of the settings 8-)
Some things are strange, like, bandpass and multiband input level.

For "never Phase linear" it's enough to be 29Hz. and 15.8kHz should be higher (if not intentionally), or maybe that BBC stream have stream that cuts somewhere at 16khz.
Do not set Bandpass to " Phase linear" or you will have mane voice and other distortion.

MB input: MB sometime can't resist that high input, especially tracks with highs bass/lowbass level, Like in r'n'b/rap genre.

For FM "Clips After Punch" should be at 90% too and "slip bellow 150Hz" at at least to 85% to.

Anyway .. sound is good, something that I like.