All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:11 am 

Ok, here comes a very strange preset family:
No AGC, no Pre Amp !
Instead Noise gate and Multiband play hardcore games.

The focus was especially on oldies (using big speakers for listening), but I hope I have found the sweet spot of compromise even for modern music.

3 presets:

TranS-EnhanCe 1.6 HiFi Full DR100
This is what I use at home.
The dynamic range (macro and micro) is very wide (of course not for extremly compressed and limited sources).

TranS-EnhanCe 1.6 Radio DR50
The same as TranS-EnhanCe 1.6 HiFi Full DR100 but with some loudness (based on Beta66).

TranS-EnhanCe 1.6 Radio DR33
The same as TranS-EnhanCe 1.6 HiFi Full DR100 but with more loudness (based on Beta66) than TranS-EnhanCe 1.6 Radio DR50.

Attachments:
File comment: TranS-EnhanCe_1.6_STS_package
TranS-EnhanCe_1.6_STS_package.zip [33.96 KiB]
Downloaded 616 times

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 am 

Good preset pack. I like the 33 the best. The sound seems very "flat" which I like. Music sounds very good with TranS-Enhance 33 + ST (latest beta) + my speakers :) Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:40 pm 

Quote:
The sound seems very "flat" which I like.
Could you describe with other words what "flat" means to you ?
Because my definition of "flat" is close to "boring" or even "dead" ("flat dead").

My intention behind this presets was too sound less "flat" (in my definition) than others (wider macro and micro dynamics using the DR100 preset).
And for this it is very important for this presets to keep Flat Frequency Response in Multiband disabled (that is the way the transients come to life) !

DR50 and DR33 are very simple variations of the DR100.
The truth is:
I have only changed the position of the main loudness slider !
DR100 (x 1.00 = off)
DR50 (x 1.50)
DR33 (x 2.00)
No other differences !
So adjust the main loudness slider to your own needs !

I have only created DR50 and DR33 to compare it with some of Bojcha's presets (exp preset family and descendants), because Bojcha's new presets are a very good high quality standard (general spectral balance).
So his presets are good as reference points for your own preset development.
There is only one thing worse than to have too less high frequency energy:
To have too much high frequency energy !
The danger is: using small desktop speakers it might sound good.
But when you use your big speaker HiFi system (well calibrated) you hear that it sounds cheap (in a way any professional engineer would laugh about).

I especially tried some Pink tracks.
With DR100 these will be reduced in volume.
But with activated loudness (e.g. DR33 = x 2.00) it comes out again close to the original (except the reduction of the macro dynamics and this too much high frequency energy present in original IMO) sound characteristics.

But the focus was really more on older music.
Try something like Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made For Walking and compare it with other presets (noise ? high frequency quality ?).
So in first place this DR100 is meant as something to remaster old music.
And with DR100 you still have a very wide range of macro dynamics (or even an expansion) for many old tracks.
And this odd combination of heavy Noise Gate and heavy Multiband (EQ) processing is a good way to remove noise without almost no typical artifacts (you get instead with traditional denoising).
:arrow: even when you use headphones !
So this DR100 preset keeps the good frequency energy and enhances it, while the noise is removed.

For sure this preset is not perfect.
And for some music it does not work (you have better results with other presets), but for many old music it (DR100 !) should be more joy for the listening experience (without the typical macro dynamics reduction you have with other presets or with other processing tools).
But it helps to undo overprocessed, terrible TV documentation voices (with too much bass, almost no transients except annoying sibilants) and brings music broadcasted by TV stations (this is what I call flat dead) back to life.
For example try it for the german DVB (free zdftheater via DVB-S ASTRA 19.2 in Europe) reruns of BBC's Later With Jools Holland broadcasts.
The original sound is dead flat (especially without any energy for the drum sounds like snares).
With DR100 it sounds IMO much better (like real live music).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:48 am 

Sorry about that. I actually was referring to another preset and wrote that by mistake on this thread. Your preset sounds good to me but definitely not "flat" as I mentioned. I do not know what words to use to describe the sound of your preset at the moment, but flat is not the word definitely.

In any case, thanks for sharing the preset.