All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 524 Next
 Post subject: Re: StudioOne HD
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:56 pm 

Quote:
Bochja, can you please explain how you setup gating on this preset? I have all my songs replay gained at RG2 levels, which I think are -18dB. Then I have the input pumped a bit on the DSP model of Stereotool at +5db. There are still some songs that have soft intros that seem to stay under the gate for a bit, which doesn't sound super great after a loud cold ending or some station imaging. What is your ideal input level for this preset? Perhaps my idea of gating isn't correct or needs some improvement.

I understand gating to be a minimum level to which the AGC will reach to bring audio up. If the gating is set to -15dB and my low intro is at -20dB, the AGC won't touch it until the audio gets up to -15dB. Is that correct?

Also, I've heard there's some ability that ST has to use "smart gating", where it monitors the audio and adjusts gating automagically. Maybe that was something else, or somewhere else...

Thanks for the help!
Yes, gating is a problem. Untill Hans set AGCgate after AGC (atleast like an option), it will always be problem. Everyone have different input levels so everyone need to adjust gate to suit input (if ON). Just lower it till you see those problems gone.
No there is no smart gate. But it would be smart if its detection is after AGC.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:01 pm 

Thanks! I'll fiddle with it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:24 pm 

update - v00.14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:46 pm 

Hi Bojcha, I'm Loving your preset. But I need help with one setting and one general concept.
At which level should i give input to Stereo Tool?
I generally use the INPUT GAIN so that peaks reach 0 dB or so, but I found that if i do not use and leave the input as is (-12db) the preset sound better.
So, what should I do? Should I increase Input and decrease the ACG Drive of the same amount? Should I leave it "as is" and just play with the gate?
Thanks for the preset and thanks in advance for your reply!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:25 pm 

Quote:
Hi Bojcha, I'm Loving your preset. But I need help with one setting and one general concept.
At which level should i give input to Stereo Tool?
I generally use the INPUT GAIN so that peaks reach 0 dB or so, but I found that if i do not use and leave the input as is (-12db) the preset sound better.
So, what should I do? Should I increase Input and decrease the ACG Drive of the same amount? Should I leave it "as is" and just play with the gate?
Thanks for the preset and thanks in advance for your reply!
-12 or 0db Input should be exactly same, since agc is Inf:1. Only difference there is gate on AGC need to be readjusted. Read few posts back about gate.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:56 pm 

First, thanks for you reply!
Second, if input gain shouldn't matter, why I have more compression in the MB1 if the I rise the drive (and Higher output level)? I mean, it might be a noob question, it but was worth asking :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:58 pm 

Quote:
First, thanks for you reply!
Second, if input gain shouldn't matter, why I have more compression in the MB1 if the I rise the drive (and Higher output level)? I mean, it might be a noob question, it but was worth asking :)
If drive in MB1 then ofcourse more compression.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:27 pm 

Maybe I explained myself badly. What I meant was: if I rise the ACG Drive i obtain more input into the MB1, thus higher level in output. If ratio is inf:1= no matter what input is there the output should be at the same level at max, but it isn't. Maybe is a bug on the DSP version or it should work this way and I am messing it up completely :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 pm 

I've been testing this out, for television shows/live streams of random quality, and it's great! I've recommended it to a few friends.

I don't know what your inspiration was but it provides a sound similar to my current BreakawayOne preset.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:18 am 

Quote:
I've been testing this out, for television shows/live streams of random quality, and it's great! I've recommended it to a few friends.

I don't know what your inspiration was but it provides a sound similar to my current BreakawayOne preset.
Mainly, i wanted maximum dynamics with given not-so-low loudness. Also i wanted to maintain loudness level. Usually with bass tracks you have more measured loudness. I even managed (kinda) to leave that bass if it's very loud, like for rap/r'n'b and similar tracks.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 524 Next