All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1424 Next
 Post subject: Re: StudioOne HD / FM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:37 pm 

Quote:
Bojcha, are you still cooking something yummy up for us fans of your amazing presets??
Ah yes. Actually finished new version plus 2 additional. -12LUFS version and FastFM version.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:26 am 

Quote:
[...]
Updated to version v1.74 (probably Final version). Some more tweaks to dynamic filter and other tweaks.
StudioOne_v1.74_RC1_HD-HD2-FM.rar
Last Edited: 13.01.2020.
I'm pretty impressed Bojcha! I'm sitting here and just enjoying the consistency of the sound in 01.74HD-Default, and there is no annoying peaks, and the dynamics sound untouched, but the meters are pretty flat at -1dBTP.

I of course couldn't resist fiddling with it, because of my use case and preferences.
I start with a Fabfilter Pro-MB set only to expand a highshelf at 12kHz up to 0dB/flat if the material is totally lacking top end, not to false trigger the detectors in StereoTool.

Tweaked as follows:
#Azimuth to 100us and 50um/s so it catches more of those crappy tapes (even worse tapes can be repaired manually with Voxengo "Sound Delay")
#Enabled AutoEQ+BassEQ at reset values, but maxed Adjust Time & set kick speed to x0.30 (It helps for those worst tapes and don't do much on good spectral balanced material) (I know you hate AutoEQ ;) )
#Turned off Hard Limit and Pre-Emphasize (I use Fabfilter Pro L2 after at 4x oversampling, set to gain 0dB, and -1dBTP - impressive how it still does absolutely NOTHING, with stereotool glued to the ceiling...)
#Set Multipath Monobass "Upto" to 80hz
#Set CPU Strictness of Adv.Clp to 10
#Tweaked Truebass a little, with Band 2 at 54hz and 0,4 in strength, just love those dividesubs ST makes (best of every vst I've ever tried)
#Turned Off "Heavy CPU" on singlebandComp.
#Turned on Absolute Highs at reset values and lowered to 50% strength, and 4x oversampl.
#Liked to have a little bit more top overall, so I raised the mix of the third band of MB2 to +1.5dB
#Maxed Out Quality/Step Size/Max.Input on declipper
#Set CPU usage optimized for 7 cores throughput, max latency, auto affinities, subthread on (better, even though physically disabled, Ryzen 9), CPU load to 150%, display auto. (It's still only rendering at 44% of my total CPU, but audio has other bottlenecks so it doesn't have to be ST doing anything wrong)
#Channel-separated compressor to 100% on AGC
#In MB1 i disabled Heavy CPU.

I think that is all. No major changes besides AEQ/BEQ, and a flipping between the original and tweaked preset doesn't do all that much, but mine is more suited for tapes IMO.

I'd like to know if you have any thoughts to my tweaks, and if there's something you would never do, and why. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:40 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Bojcha, are you still cooking something yummy up for us fans of your amazing presets??
Ah yes. Actually finished new version plus 2 additional. -12LUFS version and FastFM version.
Will you be sharing them soon? We are all anxiously awaiting!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:49 pm 

You are a wizard, Bojcha. :D I'm like ten versions beyond already to my previous post, and no use to write anything down, too much to handle.

Having a hard time balancing the highest treble on tapes when it's sometimes completely lacking and sometimes hard-excited from generations of Dolby C.

Right now it's sounding "OK" on most tapes, but some of them could use some black magic to shine some more.

If I send you my current preset and a few tapes of various quality, would you care to have a look at what I'm dealing with?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:45 pm 

Quote:
You are a wizard, Bojcha. :D I'm like ten versions beyond already to my previous post, and no use to write anything down, too much to handle.

Having a hard time balancing the highest treble on tapes when it's sometimes completely lacking and sometimes hard-excited from generations of Dolby C.

Right now it's sounding "OK" on most tapes, but some of them could use some black magic to shine some more.

If I send you my current preset and a few tapes of various quality, would you care to have a look at what I'm dealing with?
What You are doing is restoration/re-mastering, i would never expect that one preset will suit and fix all that. I do that manually.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:30 pm 

Quote:

Can you send me your preset and give me a try?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:42 am 

Quote:
Quote:

What You are doing is restoration/re-mastering, i would never expect that one preset will suit and fix all that. I do that manually.
I'm actually getting very consistent results right now with a modded version of your preset, because all tapes have a similar sound to them, more or less, and I do do stuff to the files manually before StereoTool.

This is the list of things I have to do before final masterbatch:
# Rip as good as possible (Done with a DCC player - direct SPDIF to PC)
# Cut away crap and silent parts with room to breath, split to tape A/B-sides with different names and leave 1sec of noise at start and end.
# Normalize to 0dB peak.
# Pan-Normalize (RMS Balance between L/R, and listen to the SIDE channel now and then)
# Take a look at the finished file visually so it looks like typical audio at good levels.

What I really like about your STUDIO ONE is that is taking a new approach to the limiting I haven't thought about myself. I can hear that you rely on the constant of the digital MAX (-1dBTP) and gain your way down to the appropriate levels of the spectra - instead of smashing it upwards and hoping for the best. With your method there is almost no overshoots, no bursts of bass when the material have had less bass for a while and it comes back, no crazy noise gain in soft material - even now with tapes as source. Some small problems here and there, but it is still old tapes, not CD, so it's OK.

Attached my current version of the Studio One, Tape Render preset. (FYI I'm using fabfilter L2 at the end, only for -1dBTP, zero gain & oversampling, so "Hard Limit" is off in stereotool)
I'll put a few examples of different sounding tapes too and upload here, so anyone can hear what the deal is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rUwlbD ... sp=sharing

Attachments:
StudioOne_v01.74-HD_Default (Tape Version - 7Core Render).sts [158.96 KiB]
Downloaded 172 times

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Do you have one you could share with us?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:57 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm actually getting very consistent results right now with a modded version of your preset, because all tapes have a similar sound to them, more or less, and I do do stuff to the files manually before StereoTool.

This is the list of things I have to do before final masterbatch:
# Rip as good as possible (Done with a DCC player - direct SPDIF to PC)
# Cut away crap and silent parts with room to breath, split to tape A/B-sides with different names and leave 1sec of noise at start and end.
# Normalize to 0dB peak.
# Pan-Normalize (RMS Balance between L/R, and listen to the SIDE channel now and then)
# Take a look at the finished file visually so it looks like typical audio at good levels.

What I really like about your STUDIO ONE is that is taking a new approach to the limiting I haven't thought about myself. I can hear that you rely on the constant of the digital MAX (-1dBTP) and gain your way down to the appropriate levels of the spectra - instead of smashing it upwards and hoping for the best. With your method there is almost no overshoots, no bursts of bass when the material have had less bass for a while and it comes back, no crazy noise gain in soft material - even now with tapes as source. Some small problems here and there, but it is still old tapes, not CD, so it's OK.

Attached my current version of the Studio One, Tape Render preset. (FYI I'm using fabfilter L2 at the end, only for -1dBTP, zero gain & oversampling, so "Hard Limit" is off in stereotool)
I'll put a few examples of different sounding tapes too and upload here, so anyone can hear what the deal is.

Here's a update

MB1 Band 7 slightly increased attack, increased Density to+7.65
lowered threshold t -16.83 and mix is +3.8db, feedback is now at 81%
MB2 Band 4 changed density to +2.76, threshold is now at -18.06, Relative stop is now off, Mix is at +4.13 and ratio of 2.5
Auto Eq band 5 increased strength to 75%
and Azimuth change speed from 0.50um/s to 0.63um/s

I hope this yields better results.

Attachments:
StudioOne_v01.74-HD_Default (Tape Version - 8TrackKid Update).sts [151.05 KiB]
Downloaded 162 times

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:57 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
[...]

Here's a update

MB1 Band 7 slightly increased attack, increased Density to+7.65
lowered threshold t -16.83 and mix is +3.8db, feedback is now at 81%
MB2 Band 4 changed density to +2.76, threshold is now at -18.06, Relative stop is now off, Mix is at +4.13 and ratio of 2.5
Auto Eq band 5 increased strength to 75%
and Azimuth change speed from 0.50um/s to 0.63um/s

I hope this yields better results.
Thanks a lot. I'll try this in the days to come. :)

Bojcha: You wrote some place in this thread to ask you for your advice how to change the spectra of the outcome of this preset the proper way.
I'd actually like to know how you would do to rebalance your preset to give slightly (+ 1-1,5dB) more bass & sub-bass - without messing everything else up.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1424 Next