All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 522 Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:58 am 

I see that "Dynamic Speeds" is a feature that requires a license. But it is annoying that it appears within a part that was essentially "free." It would be possible to introduce an option to hide the features that require a license to not "hinder" multibands.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:37 pm 

beta 010:
great job on the "current AGC".
it operates/behaves as good as the "legacy AGC" that i have been using until the "current AGC" would function in a similar manner.
(without the use of dynamic attack/release)
however, i did really appreciate the "power bass" and "power highs" that the legacy AGC provided, the way they operated and behaved like a separate AGC for set freqs and slopes, its much easier than using the side chain which isnt a separate AGC in itself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:31 am 

Current AGC is still wrong. Among other problems, like gate is totally bugged, window settings still confusing, still not added protection compressor, etc. Main one is that "rel Release".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:42 am 

Quick FYI. Hans has not updated the release post for whatever reason(s), yet, but beta 10 releases apparently are on the server. Just change the file names accordingly to download.

For example:

https://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_stereo_tool_installer_BETA938-009.exe

Becomes:

https://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_stereo_tool_installer_BETA938-010.exe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:43 am 

I don't like the AGC in ST at all. I even disabled the AGC in ST and have my Aphex Compellor 320a to do that part.
The Compellor is set as such that the input in Stereotool is peaking around 0 dB and that makes a really nice consistent sound in Stereotool. This sound i cannot achieve with the built-in AGC.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:01 pm 

Quote:
I don't like the AGC in ST at all. I even disabled the AGC in ST and have my Aphex Compellor 320a to do that part.
The Compellor is set as such that the input in Stereotool is peaking around 0 dB and that makes a really nice consistent sound in Stereotool. This sound i cannot achieve with the built-in AGC.
at least i do not feel alone knowing that the AGC makes or breaks ST, its the most important tool with ST, if its not configured correctly, everything else in the audio chain will suffer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:23 pm 

Quote:
What AGC vst plugin do you recommend?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:50 am 

Quote:
at least i do not feel alone knowing that the AGC makes or breaks ST, its the most important tool with ST, if its not configured correctly, everything else in the audio chain will suffer.
Maybe the AGC is working fine when configured correctly, i don't know. My knowledge of soundprocessing is not that good. I do know what sound i like, and no matter how i set the AGC in ST, i just can't get that consistent, open and dynamic sound. It just feels (to my ears) that the AGC is compressing to much where it should act like an leveller. And the sound comes out a bit flat, or dull. i don't know the word for it exactly.

With my Compellor, it's easy. ST reacts very nice to this and is much easier to configure. Only thing i do miss a bit, is the stereo matrix in the AGC, cause i really liked that.

Quote:
What AGC vst plugin do you recommend?
I don't have a VST plugin for AGC. I use the Aphex Compellor, which is a hardware unit. From the Compellor, i just go right in to the input of an ESI Juli@ soundcard.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:21 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe the AGC is working fine when configured correctly, i don't know. My knowledge of soundprocessing is not that good. I do know what sound i like, and no matter how i set the AGC in ST, i just can't get that consistent, open and dynamic sound. It just feels (to my ears) that the AGC is compressing to much where it should act like an leveller. And the sound comes out a bit flat, or dull. i don't know the word for it exactly.

With my Compellor, it's easy. ST reacts very nice to this and is much easier to configure. Only thing i do miss a bit, is the stereo matrix in the AGC, cause i really liked that.
i prefer to use the legacy AGC rather than the "current" AGC, it behaves better in the manner you are talking about.
matrix is available in both legacy and current AGC but channel separation is lost when using it (naturally).
i prefer the waveforms AGC output to be the same as the waveforms of the input when it comes to AGC control, except for applying "power bass" and "power highs" which "boosts" some low/high audio freqs that are low in level, but it does not attempt to boost low/high audio freqs that is non-existent in the audio (prevents rumbling/hiss as a result) as well as not "boosting" those lows/high levels if they are at or above the specified dB level (power bass/highs behave as a separate AGC within the AGC), this is great for older content which may have weak lows/highs.
the AGC should behave as a gain controller and not as a processor, everything after the AGC is where the processing should take place.
i am better able to configure the legacy AGC to behave in a better manner where the input and output waveforms are the same, the dynamics, peaks and valleys are much better controlled and reflected on the input/output waveforms when observed.
the key to configuring the AGC properly is to use only the AGC first, configure it to your liking, then apply all of your additional processing.
though the "current" AGC is improving, i am still not yet able to configure it to behave in the same manner as the "legacy" AGC.
one significant improvement with the "current" AGC is the "sudden jump protection", it does a much better job now at "clamping" then it did previously where the effect seemed minimal at best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:20 pm 

Quote:
Quick FYI. Hans has not updated the release post for whatever reason(s), yet, but beta 10 releases apparently are on the server. Just change the file names accordingly to download.

For example:

https://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp ... 38-009.exe

Becomes:

https://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp ... 38-010.exe
I got beta 010 as of now and noticed that also. Good information. Hans is probably just busy ATM.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 522 Next